Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Would Jesus Do? (The Passion Related)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-08-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gibson's Icon Sues Regal Over 'Passion' Box Office

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor/director Mel Gibson's Icon Distribution Inc. has sued No. 1 movie theater chain Regal Entertainment Group for more than $40 million, claiming Regal failed to pay Icon its fair share of box office receipts for "The Passion of the Christ."
In the suit, filed on Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Icon said its agreement with Regal called for the companies to share receipts on "studio terms," which Icon defined as 55 percent of gross ticket sales paid to it and 45 percent retained by Regal.

Icon claims Regal has reneged on that deal and offered to pay Icon only 34 percent, instead.

"The Passion of the Christ," about the final 12 hours in the life of Jesus, was the biggest movie hit of this past winter and spring. It generated slightly under $370 million in domestic markets -- the United States and Canada. ADVERTISEMENT

The suit did not stipulate how much of those receipts came from Regal theaters, but Icon claims it is owed actual damages in excess of $40 million. Icon also seeks punitive damages.

Regal operates over 6,000 movie screens in about 550 theaters around the world. A spokesman was not immediately available to comment.

Regal shares edged down 0.2 percent, or 4 cents, at $17.59 shortly after midday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Privately held Icon was formed in 1990 by Gibson to distribute films made by his Icon Productions film company, of which "The Passion" is one. Privately held Newmarket Films partnered with Icon in distributing the movie to U.S. theaters, but Newmarket is not a party in the lawsuit.
Old 06-08-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well that's not very christian like.
Old 06-08-04, 03:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He'd kill them all and let Dad sort 'em out.
Old 06-08-04, 03:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
'always look on the bright side of life'
Old 06-08-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[snarky response, appropriated saying, and tangental quote]
Old 06-08-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I could just see mel swimming in his billion dollar money tower like scrooge mcduck, then smelling and saying "Something's not right here! NEEDS MORE MONEY!"
Old 06-08-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Whoa! Maybe the South Park episode was accurate.
Old 06-08-04, 05:06 PM

Although this question predictably turned into an opportunity for taking shots at Gibson... if Regal reneged on a deal then there is no shame in seeking justice in the US court system. Jesus advocated honoring financial (and spiritual) obligations;

Luke 20
21 And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest rightly, neither acceptest thou the person of any, but teachest the way of God truly:
22 Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no?
23 But he perceived their craftiness, and said unto them, Why tempt ye me?
24 Shew me a penny. Whose image and superscription hath it? They answered and said, Caesar's.
25 And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.
26 And they could not take hold of his words before the people: and they marvelled at his answer, and held their peace.
Old 06-08-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mmguen
Shew me a penny.
omg! cameron crow plagiarized the bible!
Old 06-08-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

and, i'm all for stickin it to the man, but not THE MAN.
Old 06-08-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by mmguen
Although this question predictably turned into an opportunity for taking shots at Gibson... if Regal reneged on a deal then there is no shame in seeking justice in the US court system. Jesus advocated honoring financial (and spiritual) obligations;

Luke 20
21 And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest rightly, neither acceptest thou the person of any, but teachest the way of God truly:
22 Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no?
23 But he perceived their craftiness, and said unto them, Why tempt ye me?
24 Shew me a penny. Whose image and superscription hath it? They answered and said, Caesar's.
25 And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.
26 And they could not take hold of his words before the people: and they marvelled at his answer, and held their peace.
Good job

I hate frivilous lawsuits but if they did indeed held back money then they need to fork it over.

BTW I thought theatres got less of a percentage then that.
Old 06-09-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Actually, Jesus would open a can o whup ass in the Regal Corporate Offices like He did in the Temple.
Old 06-09-04, 03:53 AM

"What's mine's mine."
Old 06-09-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Actually, Jesus would open a can o whup ass in the Regal Corporate Offices like He did in the Temple.
for selling god in a sense by selling in the temple right? Wouldn't he also open a can of whup ass for showing this film on the sabbeth?
Old 06-09-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Go get'em Mel!
Old 06-10-04, 03:08 AM

I don't understand why using the legal system to get what rightfully should belong to a corporation makes Mel Gibson or anyone involved with The Passion hypocritical, but maybe that's just me. It's a movie just like any other movie, and it should be treated as such.
Old 06-10-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
for selling god in a sense by selling in the temple right? Wouldn't he also open a can of whup ass for showing this film on the sabbeth?
Actually Jesus didn't pay much attention to the Sabbath.