Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Check out this terrible premise for the "Bewitched" movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Got this from IMDB. I know many think that a big screen version of the show is a bad idea in the first place. But THIS is worse (IMO). If they're going to do a "Bewitched" movie at all, do it right. This is a shame too because the cast is pretty cool.

In this re-imagining of the magical 1960s sitcom, Will Ferrell plays Jack Wyatt, a difficult Hollywood star who tries to have a career comeback by playing Darrin Stephens in a big-screen version of the classic TV series. When Jack sees the beautiful Isabel Bigelow, played by Nicole Kidman, he thinks that she'd be right for the part of his on-screen wife, Samantha. What he doesn't know is that Isabel really is a witch, which actually makes her a perfect casting choice for the role. Isabel's father Nigel (Michael Caine) is concerned by his daughter's interest in the mortal world, until he's distracted by Iris Smythson (Shirley MacLaine), the movie star who'll be playing Samantha's mother Endora in the film.

Nicole Kidman .... Isabel Bigelow/Samantha Stephens
Will Ferrell .... Jack Wyatt/Darrin Stephens
Shirley MacLaine .... Iris Smythson/Endora
Michael Caine .... Nigel
Old 06-08-04, 01:51 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't sound too good, would of been nice if they stuck to the original formula.
Old 06-08-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Actually, I think that's a great idea.

There's eight billion wretched TV-to-movie adaptations. This sort of slant makes the movie that much more interesting than just yet another ridiculous, pad a 22-minute sitcom into a 95-minute anal ejection.
Old 06-08-04, 02:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's basically a remake of "Kiss Me Kate" then.
Old 06-08-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Let me put it this way...a movie based on the idea of a witch and her klutzy husband and annoying monther in law...isthat really that much better an idea? Remakes are silly, but this one hasa pretty solid cast. SOOO...whatever the story is, I'll just wait til they have something to watch. These movies live and die moreso on the chemistry and humor of the actors. And for some reason I just find it highly amusing to see Will Ferrell acting alonside Nic Kidman and Michael Caine.

But seriously...what comedy actually has a good plot?
Old 06-08-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
actually this could work.
Old 06-08-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Actually, I think that's a great idea.

There's eight billion wretched TV-to-movie adaptations. This sort of slant makes the movie that much more interesting than just yet another ridiculous, pad a 22-minute sitcom into a 95-minute anal ejection.
Well, "Bewitched" is actually a TV version of the film "I Married a Witch". I would hope given the origin and a series that ran for eight seasons, they could come up with something better than this !
Old 06-08-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nicole kidman = me paying to see it.
Old 06-08-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Nicole kidman nude = me paying to see it.
I corrected this for you
Old 06-08-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Nicole kidman = me paying to see it.
Oh, make no bones skeleton (heh), I'd pay to see Kidman read a phonebook. I'm just discouraged they are changing the concept of the show (and original movie). And btw gcribbs, if you (or anyone) wants to see Nicole full monty, just rent "Billy Bathgate".
Old 06-08-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Eh, sounds ok but it's typical that they would change it.
Old 06-08-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Sounds like a cross between The In-Laws and Shadow of the Vampire.
Sometimes 90-minute long episodes of classic shows are good.
I'll wait and see what it looks like.
Old 06-08-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wasn't there a rumor going around a while ago that they were going to have two actors (Billy Crystal and ??) play Darrin and just switch them halfway through the movie with no explaination? That would've been interesting (not good, but interesting).
Old 06-08-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tscott
Wasn't there a rumor going around a while ago that they were going to have two actors (Billy Crystal and ??) play Darrin and just switch them halfway through the movie with no explaination? That would've been interesting (not good, but interesting).
I think someone suggested that in an older thread here. I don't recall reading about that anywhere else. Never heard Billy Crystal's name attached to the project though. Thank God.
Old 06-08-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good. I was expecting something like an evil corporation is threatening to bulldoze a beloved park and its up to Samantha to stop them.
Old 06-08-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hope there is a scene where Samantha has to stand in front of a judge or other authority figure and defend someone.

"Must we judge"?

It seemed at least half the episodes had a variation on this plot.
Old 06-08-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The screenwriter should be drummed out of the business! How DARE he try something original with a remake of a mediocre television show?
Old 06-08-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
The screenwriter should be drummed out of the business! How DARE he try something original with a remake of a mediocre television show?
Well if one has to re-image" something, then why doesn't he/she just write an original screenplay? The series may be mediocre to you CG, but I'm sure the show has many fans who either A) don't want a big screen version of it at all in the first place or B) if it has to be done, they want it done right. I mean, what's with the whole movie within a movie (TV show?) anyway? Hell, just scrap the "Bewitched" storyline and characters and make it about the difficult Hollywood star and the witch he meets.
Old 06-08-04, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
Well, "Bewitched" is actually a TV version of the film "I Married a Witch". I would hope given the origin and a series that ran for eight seasons, they could come up with something better than this !
Well then this may explain why they couldn't go that route, a Danny Devito directed remake of I Married A Witch is apparently coming out this year
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137823/
Old 06-09-04, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gore_Hound_X
Well then this may explain why they couldn't go that route, a Danny Devito directed remake of I Married A Witch is apparently coming out this year
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137823/

And this matters to Hollywood why.........?

"Armageddon" / "Deep Impact"

"Dante's Peak" / "Volcano"

"A Bug's Life" / "Antz"

Just to name a countless few
Old 06-09-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
fine by me.
Old 06-09-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh heh. I just read in another newsgroup where someone said Nora Ephron should call this "You Got Magic". But I think "Sleepless in Salem" sounds better. Or with this premise, how about "The French Lieutenant's Witch"?
Old 06-09-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Who first coined the phrase "re-imagining" and is it normal to feel so A-N-G-R-Y when I hear it?

(I'm guessing we have Tim Burton to thank when he remade "Planet of the Apes"? That's the first time I heard it used.)
Old 06-09-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dig this idea.
Old 06-09-04, 10:59 AM
Banned

I think it sounds like a very good idea. It adds a second, more self reflexive, layer to the film.

The Brady Bunch Movie played with the Brady world I thought it was very good. This could be better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.