DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Serenity question (the Firefly movie). SPOILERS (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/368532-serenity-question-firefly-movie-spoilers.html)

cartman 06-08-04 12:07 AM

Serenity question (the Firefly movie). SPOILERS

I saw this posting from Joss on the Firefly board:

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you some news but guess what? I can't get on the site. I have trouble with passwords. So hopefully Chris B will forward this to you with his wily technical knowledgablosity.

Today was (as I think you know) the first day of filming of Serenity. Which is pretty big for me (it felt weird to START with Mal's death, but scheduling isn't my area). It was a blast. Sean said it was like school was back in session after summer vacation, which I have decided to take as a compliment. Gina did a happy dance (and there are few happier sights than Gina doing a happy dance). We're still flying. And the best part is, that's not even why I'm posting.

The real news, and you heard it here first, is that Universal has thrown down an official release date! So mark your calendars, Browncoats, 'cause if you're planning to get married on April 22nd 2005, you better change the date. Seriously. Who gets married in April? Just change it.

April 22nd. Exactly when I wanted to open, 'cause it's SOON. I can't wait for you all to see what we're putting together. It's a crazy-quilt of infotainment that I like to call a 'film', and it just may be the best one ever made. Or one of the ones in the middle. Probably not the worst... I'm thinking middle. High middle. So buckle up and get ready for that patented Joss Whedon "high-middle" excitment. It's on its way.

I'm tired, and apparently I have to direct, like, EVERY scene, so I'm crashing. Thanks again, all of you, for helping me home. It's good to be back.

-joss.

I'd hate to think that I just read a massive spoiler in what I thought was a simple production update, the "it felt weird to START with Mal's death" bit. So, did he just post a massive spoiler, or is it some weird Jossism? I'll be quite upset if it's the former :grunt:.

Matthew Chmiel 06-08-04 12:21 AM

I think he was kidding.

Universal and Joss both want to try and start up a Firefly movie franchise. I don't think they would kill the lead of the show/movie if they wanted to do that.

That or they could've been shooting a dream sequence. ;)

costanza 06-08-04 01:38 AM

SERENITY NOW!

Lara Means 06-08-04 07:00 AM

Screw Serenity and give us an Angel movie.

reverie 06-08-04 07:28 AM

Hey, I'm getting married in April! ;) But I'll for sure be there for this movie!

Tscott 06-08-04 11:20 AM

Re: Serenity question (the Firefly movie). SPOILERS

Originally posted by cartman
I'd hate to think that I just read a massive spoiler in what I thought was a simple production update, the "it felt weird to START with Mal's death" bit. So, did he just post a massive spoiler, or is it some weird Jossism? I'll be quite upset if it's the former :grunt:.
This sounds like Joss's sence of humor. He likes to have fun by getting his fans a little riled up by saying things like that.

I just watched an interview with the cast of Buffy from the season six DVD set, in it Joss promises that season 7 will be sort of a return to the original mission statement of the show--- plus...
Spoiler:
Willow dies.
:D

He's done it a couple of other times IIFC. Wasn't it him that started the rumor that Xander would be vamped in season 4 or 5? It also reminds me of the one season of Buffy where the DVD has a note from Joss that includes an offhand apology for 'the one episode that sucked' which prompted quite a long thread of speculation here as I recall in reguards to what one he was referring to.:)

redinger 06-10-04 11:59 AM

Re: Re: Serenity question (the Firefly movie). SPOILERS

Originally posted by Tscott
This sounds like Joss's sence of humor. He likes to have fun by getting his fans a little riled up by saying things like that.
Yep, I agree. This is just typical Joss humor.

Wasn't it him that started the rumor that Xander would be vamped in season 4 or 5? It also reminds me of the one season of Buffy where the DVD has a note from Joss that includes an offhand apology for 'the one episode that sucked' which prompted quite a long thread of speculation here as I recall in reguards to what one he was referring to.:)

Yes, and we all know which episode he was referring to.

aynrandgirl 06-11-04 04:40 AM

Mandatory soundtrack item

Return to Serenity, from the Testament album The Ritual.

jsycamore 06-23-04 11:08 PM

They've opened up the official site. It seems pretty cool. They're really trying to promote this over the web.

<!-- begin link -->
<A href="http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/index.html?fuseaction=tools.invlink&u=global &linkID=36">Serenity: The Official Movie Website</A>
<!-- end link -->

Barry Woodward 06-24-04 01:58 AM

Yeah, as much as I love the fact that they finally put up a website, part of me wishes they wouldn't complicate matters by offering a points system. That said, please click this message so I can snag some of those points. ;)