DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Chronicles of Riddick:anyone actually PAYING to see this? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/368246-chronicles-riddick-anyone-actually-paying-see.html)

Dr. DVD 06-06-04 12:22 PM

Chronicles of Riddick:anyone actually PAYING to see this?

Picked up the Pitch Black DVD this week with a BestBuy giftcard, and will most likely use the ticket to go see Riddick movie for free.

Having seen Pitch Black, I can see the appeal of the character, but I fail to see how anything in that movie necessitated making what looks to be another Big-budget boondoggle for Universal. Chronicles looks fancy, but if it weren't for my free ticket, I would definitely be skipping as it looks totally inane.

movieking 06-06-04 12:26 PM

I saw the first Pitch Black the weekend it came out and enjoyed it, but I have no desire to see this or any other Vin Diesel movie again.

Matthew Chmiel 06-06-04 12:46 PM

Yes, I'm paying $6.00 to see how badly Universal ****s it up.

Through I'd rather pay $6.00 to see how Paul Rudnick ****s up The Stepford Wives. :)

DVDho78DTS 06-06-04 12:49 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the first and would like to view this sequel in theaters. Actually making it there though is another story.

Those that don't like Vin Diesel or expecting a lot more than a visual effects action film should probably stay away. While the first film borrowed elements from other films it still had some interesting moments. I hope this film examines the Riddick character more in depth but I'm not holding my breath. :)

MrX 06-06-04 02:37 PM

I enjoyed Pitch Black so I'll probably check it out at a matinee.

This looks more like a straight up action film then PB.

Goat3001 06-06-04 03:18 PM

I don't find the need to spend money to see this one in theatres. I liked Pitch Black and want to see this movie. I just don't think its worth 9.25. I'll wait for some reviews and if people seem to really like it maybe I will check it out.

Jackskeleton 06-06-04 03:29 PM

You still are PAYING for it even if you got the free ticket in the movie. Even with a gift card, You still paid 20 bucks for the film and it's movie cash. so it's treated as if they gave you the 10 bucks to see it. A very easy way for Universal to make sure you go see it and pump up it's box office numbers.

The first was alright, I'll go see it just for the sake of seeing it.

Sessa17 06-06-04 03:40 PM

Nope, not paying for it (have free movie passes, not the one that came w/ the DVD). But I'm also not hating on the movie like everyone else here. I like the first one, love sci-fi so I'm psyched just to finally see another sci-fi movie on the big screen. Plus, I actually really liked Diesel in the first movie. + Thandie Newton, one of the few movies this summer I actually want to see.

Seantn 06-06-04 03:56 PM

Yes, I'm paying $6.00 to see how badly Universal ****s it up.
So it would be Universal's fault if it sucks? Not, say, oh I don't know...David Twohy or Vin Diesel, the ones who made the freakin' thing?

Jackskeleton 06-06-04 03:58 PM

I think you can't really feel bad about seeing this. It looks exactly what you will expect from it. I can't say it actually looks good or anything, but it does look like it will be an entertaining set of 2 hours.

Matthew Chmiel 06-06-04 04:03 PM

So it would be Universal's fault if it sucks? Not, say, oh I don't know...David Twohy or Vin Diesel, the ones who made the freakin' thing?
Because early reports are saying Universal executives are making David Twohy trim the film down for the masses.

Tarantino 06-06-04 04:04 PM

Chronicles of Riddick:anyone actually PAYING to see this?
Hell no.

fumanstan 06-06-04 04:53 PM

I'm undecided. I liked Pitch Black when i saw it in theaters, but haven't seen it since and i'm not that big of a Vin Disel fan. If the rest of my friends want to go, i wouldn't mind seeing it. But its definitely not a must see like some other films this summer.

Amel 06-06-04 04:59 PM

I'll be there. And unless they decide to let me for free I'll be paying. I liked the first one. Nothing great. Not a big fan of Diesel. I don't dislike him, but I wouldn't see a movie for him.

What's getting me there is Thandie Newton. I'm a huge fan of hers and I'll pay to see anything she's in anyday.

devilshalo 06-06-04 05:07 PM

I pay for Sony flicks and hop theaters. :p

covenant 06-06-04 06:55 PM

Picked up some sneak preview tickets....

Rival11 06-06-04 07:01 PM

It's just another one of those boring summer movies.............and no, I wouldn't pay to go see it.

Fok 06-06-04 07:24 PM

Vin Diesel is way overrated, I find his characters to be quite lame. His only best performance was in Saving Private Ryan. What's up with his stupid voice, is he trying to make it his trade mark or something?

Rival11 06-06-04 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Fok
Vin Diesel is way overrated, I find his characters to be quite lame. His only best performance was in Saving Private Ryan. What's up with his stupid voice, is he trying to make it his trade mark or something?
"I am the monster" - Hear ya on that one.

atari2600 06-06-04 07:38 PM

hell yes im gonna see this. pitch black ruled and im expecting the same from riddick.

i hope more people think like you and DONT want to see it. makes my movie going experience better! :)

Kudama 06-06-04 08:11 PM

Normally I would say nope’m

I really liked Pitch Black a lot better the second time I saw it, which for me is a good sign.

What really stokes me about this flick is the Edgar Rice Burroughs approach as opposed to following up with the monster. A character emerged and continued a journey.
Someone at the table had a great idea and the person who had the red stamp listened.
Riddick is like John Carter except for the fact that he is thrown around and doesn’t spend all his time on Mars.
And! Check out the fact that the Giger designs from the scrapped version of Dune are shamelessly ripped off.
It’s kind of a shame (judging from the preview) that Mr. Diesel phones in his dialogue. I’m actually one of his biggest fans in that The Iron Giant is one of my all time favorite movies, but c’mon.

trigun 06-06-04 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Because early reports are saying Universal executives are making David Twohy trim the film down for the masses.
That AICN rumor seems to have been overblown. Moriarty's review of Riddick is quite glowing. Sounds like a decent sci-fi adventure flick.

Trigger 06-06-04 08:21 PM

Yes - I'm actually PAYING to see it.

FinkPish 06-06-04 08:32 PM

I'm also going to pay money to see this one. Most every preview review I've read is generally positive. And I've liked pretty much everything that Twohy has done.

I really don't understand this hatred for Vin Diesel. He wasn't spectacular in most, or any, films he's been in (save Iron Giant), but I don't see what he has done to all of you to make you loathe him so much. He seems to run generally under the radar of the press, unless he is promoting a movie. And he isn't popping up in every movie that requires a hero (like Colin Farrell). Why the hate?

dcprules 06-06-04 09:14 PM

Waiting to read what the tomatometer says before I decide, but I'll probably check it out. I thought the trailers were great, even with Vin Diessel in it. In fact, I did not know it was a prequel/sequel to Pitch Black until I read about it online.

If it has some good reviews, though, I'll probably check it out for some fun scifi action.