DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Harry Potter 3 with $92.7 million opening weekend (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/368244-harry-potter-3-%2492-7-million-opening-weekend.html)

gcribbs 06-06-04 11:32 AM

Harry Potter 3 with $92.7 million opening weekend

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5353875

I am shocked since the numbers for friday seemed so good.

I wonder why it dropped off so much.

theneobez 06-06-04 11:34 AM

First day hype I suppose. Wow @ Shrek 2 though, I dare say it could top 500 Million.

bigdogkt2003 06-06-04 11:48 AM

It dropped off because everybody who saw it on Friday told the others what a terrible movie it was.

dstrauss 06-06-04 11:51 AM

It's a bit early to put Shrek at $500m. That's Titanic territory. It sure does seem headed towards Spider-man and $400m though. We'll see how it holds up against the other big summer movies the next 3 weekends.

LorenzoL 06-06-04 12:02 PM

Originally posted by bigdogkt2003
It dropped off because everybody who saw it on Friday told the others what a terrible movie it was.
Its one thing to state your dislike for this movie in the discussion thread for POA but don't start threadcrapping in this one.

Thanks

Dr. DVD 06-06-04 12:14 PM

Originally posted by bigdogkt2003

Reviews suggest otherwise, and most word of mouth I've heard is positive.

Kind of like the new attitude towards blockbusters nowadays? Instead of a a movie being a flop if it doesn't top $60 million opening weekend, it's a flop if it doesn't top $100 million!

Only $92 Million!?! Dang, what a stinker!

Don't worry fellow Hogwarts students, I doubt that either the Stepford Wives or that Vin Diesel dude will be serious threats.

Daytripper 06-06-04 12:15 PM

No way is "Shrek 2" going to gross $500 million. Dstrauss is right, $400 million is more realistic. I'm really suprised at "Potters" drop on Saturday. Isn't 1:00 p.m. EST a bit too soon for analysts to predict how much it's going to make today (Sunday)? Since it did about 33 million on Saturday, that would mean it did around 20 million today. I find that hard to believe. Every show was sold out yesterday at my multiplex. Five theaters were playing it too.

silentbob007 06-06-04 12:17 PM

I think that since school is out, a lot more kids got to see the film on opening day as opposed to waiting until Saturday. Also, I'm sure the sold-out midnight shows were added a decent amount to the take. Would I be wrong in assuming that the Friday noon-midnight sales would probably be about equal to the Saturday sales of the same time period?

movieking 06-06-04 12:25 PM

Wow that is a huge drop. Good for me though, since I shorted some and I won't lose as much as I thought that I would.

mookyman 06-06-04 12:33 PM

The opening weekend was equal to what Sorcerer's Stone did, and more than Chamber of Secrets. A $92 million opening weekend is a disappointment in the same way that a flying car that can't also travel through time is a disappointment.

Dr. DVD 06-06-04 12:41 PM

Originally posted by mookyman
The opening weekend was equal to what Sorcerer's Stone did, and more than Chamber of Secrets. A $92 million opening weekend is a disappointment in the same way that a flying car that can't also travel through time is a disappointment.

I am quite disappointed that I never got that kind of car. :(

matome 06-06-04 12:43 PM

Shrek 2 beat Spiderman's fastest to $300mil record by four days (18)! :eek: I think Spidey 2 has a chance to break the record again though.

movieking 06-06-04 01:04 PM

I don't think that SM2 is going to duplicate what the first flick did. But who knows!

I don't think that it is necessarily bad word of mouth about this movie (I have heard many good and bad reviews), but most of the rabid fans that wanted to see it went on the first night, which is why it did bigger Friday than Saturday business (not common, but it does happen).

Jackskeleton 06-06-04 01:20 PM

It was a lot of front load. HUGE front load.

Daytripper 06-06-04 07:24 PM

I don't think anyone is scoffing at a $92 million weekend opening. It's just a little alarming that it opened so high on Friday and dropped significantly on both Saturday and Sunday. And not because of bad word of mouth (I assume). The audience I saw it with actually applauded when it was over. Haven't seen that in a while. And as someone pointed out, the reviews are the best of the three.

snoppy379 06-06-04 08:37 PM

The movie was sold out every show here in Buffalo, every night!!! VERY HARD to get tickets!!!!
i saw it Friday night and the audience responce was amazing! there was movie watchers from the ages of 6 to 60! and yes here in Buffalo we had people applauding not only at the begining and end but during the movie as well!!
great movie! can't wait to see it a 2nd time!

Jericho 06-06-04 08:58 PM

I don't really get the drop-of either. Every other major movie moved up on Saturday except Potter, which I would think could have benefited from the extra early showings. Many schools are still in session, so one owuld think there would be an excellent Saturday crowd

jaeufraser 06-06-04 09:13 PM

I really think it's just frontload by fans. 93 million ain't anything to scoff at (and reports are that WB is being very conservative with their estimate). I doubt word of mouth is hurting this...I just saw it and quite frankly I think it is much better than the first two.

MasterCXtreme 06-06-04 09:49 PM

I got a question... do they even count Sundays for the weekend Box Office?

Mr. Cinema 06-06-04 10:11 PM

Well, thanks to HP's dropoff on Saturday, now Spiderman 2 will break Spiderman 1's opening weekend record.

Jackskeleton 06-06-04 10:11 PM

they estimate it doing a % drop from saturdays take.

MasterCXtreme 06-06-04 10:24 PM

That's kinda lame. They just can't wait until Monday? Estimating isn't always the best way. They put in real numbers officially after the weekends over right? For records and what not...

kevin75 06-06-04 10:26 PM

not quite where i thought it would be judging by the number of people i saw at the theater friday. i figured that it would break $100 million.

fumanstan 06-06-04 10:48 PM

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
That's kinda lame. They just can't wait until Monday? Estimating isn't always the best way. They put in real numbers officially after the weekends over right? For records and what not...
Of course. But i'd rather see numbers and estimates then see nothing while waiting for the real numbers.

Jackskeleton 06-06-04 11:49 PM

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
after so many years they can predict very very closely what it will be based on the standard % drop from saturday to sunday. Only rarely does it turn up wrong and typically within 4 million or so.