Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fahrenheit 9/11 trailer out!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fahrenheit 9/11 trailer out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
The liberals will when the battle to take America back.
Not if they can't spell win.
Old 06-03-04, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by chanster
Funny how Michael Moore twists even humorous things into something sinister

That Bush quote was from a New York Memorial Dinner, attended by Al Gore as well. It wasn't a fundraiser. Both candidates poked fun at themselves.

You want to know what Al Gore said at the event:

The vice president, who spoke first, started right off making fun of his tendency to exaggerate and his boast that he invented the Internet. "The Al Smith Dinner represents a hallowed and important tradition, which I actually did invent," he deadpanned.

http://cny.org/archive/ld/ld102600.htm

Joking about his oft-repeated debate promise to keep Social Security in a "locked box," he said if he's elected he'll put "Medicare in a walk-in closet," NASA funding in a "hermetically sealed Ziploc bag" and will "always keep lettuce in the crisper."

But please continue your ramblings and continue to get your history through Michael Moore.
I agree. That clip and the golfing clip are taken out of context to make Bush look like a "bad" person who caters to the rich. Kerry, Gore and every other politician cater to the rich. Except for maybe Ralph Nader. Moore isn't going to show you all the facts, only what he wants you to see. Moore tends to sensationalize everything, since the truth is too boring for him. Sensationalism sells and it's what people want to watch.
Old 06-03-04, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Binger
Not if they can't spell win.
Hey, Its called a typo. I was typing fast. Hey, if the Bush administration put as much thought into this war as you did my spelling. We might have done better in Iraq and might actually "win" this unjustified war. Sadly they havent. There's three things you need for war...

1. An immanent threat.

2. Overwelming forces (trying to take over an entire country with 142,000 troops is not gonna cut it)

3. An exit strategy.

None of which have applied to this war. Face it people, Bush is a joke. Or should I say Captain Corsicough. Dont know what corsicough is? It's a syndrome, look it up. Im pretty sure Bush has corsicough syndrome.
Old 06-03-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those who contend that maybe Bush didn't realize America was under attack while he was reading in that classroom are missing the fact that when he was told in the classroom, it was the second plane that had hit, not the first.

In fact, he claimed to "remember" watching the first plane hit the towers on television before beginning reading to the class. Which of course was not possible because footage of the first plane hitting the towers was not available that soon after the attacks.

So count me as one person who finds it disconcerting he didn't hand the book off to somebody else and leave the classroom (not running and screaming, but politely excusing himself) because something more important was happening beyond its walls.
Old 06-03-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, Its called a typo. I was typing fast. Hey, if the Bush administration put as much thought into this war as you did my spelling. We might have done better in Iraq and might actually "win" this unjustified war. Sadly they havent. There's three things you need for war...

1. An immanent threat.

2. Overwelming forces (trying to take over an entire country with 142,000 troops is not gonna cut it)

3. An exit strategy.

None of which have applied to this war. Face it people, Bush is a joke. Or should I say Captain Corsicough. Dont know what corsicough is? It's a syndrome, look it up. Im pretty sure Bush has corsicough syndrome.
This is totally off topic and does not belong in this thread. Please try to stay on topic.
Old 06-03-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what I can tell....he isn't twisting anything...it's a short clip in the trailer of Bush saying the uber-rich are "as I like to call you, my base." I don't much give a shit where he said it. He said it....why does it matter if it was at a fundraiser or not? Is Moore claiming it was? no. This is a perfect example of taking something small and turning it into some grand misrepresentation and bag of lies....it's nothing of the sort....at least you could just wait until the movie is out and take a look for yourself before you start making shit up about it
Are you kidding me? We do know that he has already twisted in the trailer so people don't know it it was a roast - a roast where politicians have been making fun of themselves for years. Its not like it was a secret video where Bush really admits who his constituency is.

If you want to sit there and say "Well he did say it," I suggest that all of the comments that presidents have made at press club roasts, dinners like this are now fair game. You see where that goes? If it was a joke (and it was judging from people and reports from there) it deserves to be labeled as a joke.

Never the less, I will hold final judgement until the movie, but I am pretty sure that it will get twisted.

Some people, like CRM, are already posting it in other threads as evidence. Its a joke. Politicians come there to make fun of themselves and raise money for a charitable cause. Good gried

And what exaclty am I making up? I just reported it was a roast, and AL Gore was there making ridicoulous comments. Thats the context.

Last edited by chanster; 06-03-04 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too late chanster, the dems already declared the self-deprecating jokes at these events as fair game earlier this year. Remember how Bush mocked and degraded the efforts of our fine fighting men by making a joke about not finding WMDs?
Old 06-03-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Reading through this thread, I find plenty of comments that are embarassing to both the liberals and conservatives making them. What this thread has succeeded in doing is making me embarassed to be a member of either political party.
Old 06-04-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by marty888
No, he didn't cause 9/11 ....... but prove to me that the invasion of Iraq was someone else's decision.

And if he hasn't caused "anything that's happened since", then what the hell has he been up to since moving into the White House? Is he that ineffective as you say?
I meant terror related. I get tired of people who think the terrorists have a point or our policy is why they do what they do. Terrorists are psychos, plain and simple.
Old 06-04-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I can not get the trailer to load anyone getting it to work?
Old 06-04-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The quicktime one doesnt seem to be working but Media Player one works fine.
Old 06-04-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm getting 404 errors on the Quicktime and WMP versions, seems to not be there anymore.
Old 06-04-04, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Binger
Let me ask you, as you defend Moore's BS, if he does take comments out of context and he does edit the shit out of these clips to spin the material to his own agenda, will you come back here and apologize for accusing someone of trying to "make shit up" about Moore?
There are many claims of Moore using images misleadingly (as in Bowling for Columbine, where if I recall correctly, some folks claimed he used a clip of Charlton Heston from some nonrelated event while talking about a convention near Littlewood).
Doing things like this is common practice in documentaries.... When Hitler is being talked about, for instance, shots are frequently shown of him in some parade or speech that didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the topic.

While I like his films, I think he is (or hires) pretty terrible editors, I feel like he tries too hard to instill feelings into his viewers rather than letting them form their own opinions (double-bias, if you will), but then I don't blindly believe or follow what some guy tells me on TV or in a movie. Sadly, too many of the people I know just puke back the crap hey are fed from both sides of the political spectrum no matter how ludicrous it is.
Old 06-04-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Ephemeral_Life
There are many claims of Moore using images misleadingly (as in Bowling for Columbine, where if I recall correctly, some folks claimed he used a clip of Charlton Heston from some nonrelated event while talking about a convention near Littlewood).
Doing things like this is common practice in documentaries.... When Hitler is being talked about, for instance, shots are frequently shown of him in some parade or speech that didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the topic.

While I like his films, I think he is (or hires) pretty terrible editors, I feel like he tries too hard to instill feelings into his viewers rather than letting them form their own opinions (double-bias, if you will), but then I don't blindly believe or follow what some guy tells me on TV or in a movie. Sadly, too many of the people I know just puke back the crap hey are fed from both sides of the political spectrum no matter how ludicrous it is.
Well you hit it on the nose what Moore does. Granted, practically every docu maker does it, using editing to make their point. But because Moore hits such controversial topics and is so well known, he's picked on for it. Not to mention he is kind of extreme, often times showing things and doing things in his films that make...well no point really except to make people feel what he wants them to...which is ok, but doesn't work for me in this type of piece. I prefer more objective looks, so I'm no Moore fan (I don't think he's evil...I just don't agree with his politics, and anyone who doesn't agree with his politics isn't really going to enjoy his work as much) but I still respect what he does. But not all of it. I watched that Charleton Heston interview...where he badgers Heston and then starts walking around leaving a picture of some dead girl on his lawn. So what point did that scene make? Nothing really, except being rude to his host and trying to make that the non reaction of Charleton meant something...whereas any person who let someone in their house and was treated like that would act the same way. It's there type of things that annoy me about Moore. As someone said before, while he does make some decent points here and there, I feel his films are filled with far more sensationalism than facts, which works I suppose for some, but does little for me.

Nonetheless, I still take my hat off to Moore...he's really made an impact with filmmaking, and in many ways made the documentary format something more viable than it used to be. And regardless of how I view those films, that is something that has to be admired. Well...at least I do.
Old 06-04-04, 04:59 AM

i like his "sensationalist" movies. i can't wait to see this one as well. "no facts", huh, he backs up everything he says, you are always more than welcome to research it as well.

and as for the person who has never seen his films, you should've just said no comment instead of opening your ignorant mouth because you obviously know nothing of the films, as you clearly stated.

go see the movie and be prepared to have your eyes opened to the plague of america that is bush.
Old 06-04-04, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Can we please keep the political crap away from the film discussion, sure what is relating to the clips is great and all but a lot the side babble is what gets all the moore threads to page 7 and locked without any real discussion. .. can't we all just get along?
Old 06-04-04, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Can we please keep the political crap away from the film discussion, sure what is relating to the clips is great and all but a lot the side babble is what gets all the moore threads to page 7 and locked without any real discussion. .. can't we all just get along?
I think that's a little impossible given the premise of the film.
Old 06-04-04, 06:55 AM

Hey, Its called a typo. I was typing fast. Hey, if the Bush administration put as much thought into this war as you did my spelling. We might have done better in Iraq and might actually "win" this unjustified war.
Actually I put about a second of thought into your spelling and that may be generous. It's not like it was a code that needed deciphering. By the way, there should be a comma between the words spelling and we in your sentence above, not a period. Now lecture on about the "evil" Bush administration and our savior Michael Moore.
Old 06-04-04, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Well you hit it on the nose what Moore does. Granted, practically every docu maker does it, using editing to make their point. But because Moore hits such controversial topics and is so well known, he's picked on for it.
But Moore does not make documentaries. He makes self-congratulatory, propoganda pieces. He never, and you have to admit this, never stays objective or presents a balanced view of the issues. He comes in from one side (the left one) and beats you over the head over and over with his version of the issue at hand. He has no interest in giving people the facts and letting the public make an informed decision over a topic, he wants you to fall in line with his, overly extreme, line of thinking. This does not qualify him as a documentary filmaker, it's more on par with a political spin doctor.
Old 06-04-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Due to overwhelming demand, the Fahrenheit 9/11 trailer will be down temporarily.

I would like to see it.
Old 06-04-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may be a minority here but I would like to watch this movie due to it being the Cannes Film Festival winner.

I just saw the 2nd prize winner which was the Korean entry OLDBOY, and it was well-deserved of the accolades.
Old 06-04-04, 12:24 PM

The idoit democrats can't even get quicktime to work properly. How can we expect them to run a country! Vote Bush!!
Old 06-04-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree. Please stop.
Old 06-04-04, 02:38 PM

So you want us to stop talking politics in relation to a political film?
Old 06-04-04, 02:51 PM
Cool New Member

You can still watch the trailer by going to http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_...ahrenheit_911/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.