Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" (spoilers for Godfather movie)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This I never quite understood. Just how did Carlo Rizzi set up Santino Corleone in The Godfather? The fight Carlo had with his wife Connie was spontaneous, and Santino racing to their apartment was also unplanned - Santino gets gunned down at the causeway (a setup, it seems) and for ever after, Carlo is blamed for Santino's death.

So finally Don Corleone dies, and Michael makes his move to wipe out the heads of the Five Families, and to settle old debts - including his brother-in-law, Carlo Rizzi. But before Michael orders the execution of Carlo, he wants to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Carlo was approached. He puts Carlo at ease by saying he won't hurt him because he wouldn't want to leave his sister a widow, but adds that Carlo shouldn't insult his intelligence - "that farce you played with my sister, did you think you could pull the eyes over a Corleone?" So he asks, "Who approached you? Was it Tatagglia or Barzini?" Finally Carlo admits, "It was Barzini." That's all Michael needs to know he is 100% correct in Carlo's guilt, and the rest is cinema history.

But nowhere in the movie, or in the novel for that matter, is there any mention of Carlo setting up Santino or being approached by Barzini. And the comment Michael made about "that farce you played with my sister, did you think you could pull the eyes over a Corleone?" - did he mean by the marriage, or what?
Old 05-30-04, 10:15 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
My guess

Sonny had a short fuse and they knew from before, Sonny's beatdown of Carlo in the street, if Connie called becasue Carlo did something to her Sonny would race over there.

The fight with Connie was the setup
Old 05-30-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" (spoilers for Godfather movie)

Originally posted by Buttmunker
The fight Carlo had with his wife Connie was spontaneous, and Santino racing to their apartment was also unplanned - Santino gets gunned down at the causeway (a setup, it seems) and for ever after, Carlo is blamed for Santino's death.
...And the comment Michael made about "that farce you played with my sister, did you think you could pull the eyes over a Corleone?" - did he mean by the marriage, or what?
No, the fight was staged by Carlo to get Sonny to come. Michael realized that and that is what he's refering to.
Old 05-30-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
My guess

Sonny had a short fuse and they knew from before, Sonny's beatdown of Carlo in the street, if Connie called becasue Carlo did something to her Sonny would race over there.

Barzini and his guys also knew that they would have to get Sonny really pissed to leave his bodyguards.
Old 05-30-04, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" (spoilers for Godfather movie)

Originally posted by Hiro11
No, the fight was staged by Carlo to get Sonny to come. Michael realized that and that is what he's refering to.
He's got it. 100% right
Old 05-31-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
My guess

I agree that is all correct - except the fight was not staged. What happened was, one of Carlo's girlfriends called Connie to say she couldn't make it tonight. This pissed Connie off, so she went to confront Carlo about it, who was in the shower. Carlo denied having a girlfriend and said he was going out, but Connie said, "oh no you're not!" So Carlo relented and said, "Then make me something to eat at least" (this was all in the deleted scenes and in the book).
So Connie makes the meal for him, but then Carlo decides he going out anyway and ba-fong-go. Now we get to it: if Connie had allowed her husband to just go, he would not have beat her up, and Sonny would not have been called.

But, it is a calculated guess that Connie would have started her shite and Carlo knew that he would have beat the piss out of her.

So I guess it was a setup, at that. Sooner or later, Carlo knew he'd have a fight with that ginnea bitch.