Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats Up With This Summer's Movies? They all Seem To Suck!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-30-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am getting older, but none of the summer movies have really have me interested in seeing a movie..

Van Helsing - Nope. No
Day After Tomorrow - Nope.
Troy - Nope.
Shrek 2 - Will Wait For Video
Spiderman 2 - Nope. Didn't like the first one
Harry Potter - Maybe. But not really enthused about it
Anchorman - Wait for Video
Dodgeball - Wait for Video
Village - Hmm. Probably wait for Video

Whats up? Anyone else feel that way?
Old 05-30-04, 07:07 PM

It's a little early to come to any conclusions about it being a poor season for films.

Personally, I am looking forward to;

Anchorman
The Village
Open Water
Harry Potter 3 (never a fan, but for some reason, this one has me interested, probably the look of the film)
Riddick (heard good things, and Twohy hasnt let me down yet, even though, admittedly the film does not look good)
The Terminal
Old 05-30-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts
Not looking too shabby for me.

5/14
178. coffee and cigarettes - Hopefully this evening!
184. troy - Maybe. Just because we have something in common.

5/19
187. shrek 2 - Nope.

5/21
197. the day after tomorrow - Maybe...for a laugh.
199. saved! - Will see sometime.
200. soul plane - To shizzle.

6/4
harry potter & the prisoner of azkaban - Didn't like the first. Didn't watch the second. Will be seeing this without a doubt.
zatoichi (kitano) - *sniff, sniff* Please come to Phoenix.

6/11
the chronicles of riddick: pitch black 2 - Maybe.
garfield - Doubt it.
napoleon dynamite - As soon as possible!
the stepford wives - Nope.

6/16
around the world in 80 days remake - Doubt it.

6/18
dodgeball: a true underdog story - Maybe.
the terminal - Opening night.

6/23
white chicks - Nope.

6/30
spider-man 2 - Will see it. But not going to sit with the opening night crowds. Maybe the 130AM showing on Saturday...

JULY

7/2
before sunset - Linklater. Wonderful romance. Will be there.

7/7
king arthur - Yea...sure...not going to see this one.

7/9
anchorman - Definately.

7/16
I, robot - Proyas = opening night.

7/23
the bourne supremacy - Looks alright. But I fear that it's too shuffled together...just like the Men In Black sequel.
catwoman - Yea right.

7/30
garden state - What a freakin' Friday! Beautiful lineup!
the manchurian candidate remake - Yep.
thunderbirds - Certainly.
the village - Most anticipated.

AUGUST

8/6
collateral - Opening night.

8/13
alien vs. predator - Looks amusing. But otherwise, meh'.

8/20
exorcist: the beginning - Meh'.
hero (jet li) - First showing.

8/27
anacondas: hunt for the blood orchid - Doubt it.
Old 05-30-04, 07:19 PM
Banned

All of the movies I was truly looking forward to have come and gone:

Kill Bill Vol. 2
Punisher
Jersey Girl
Troy
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

rest of the year outside of a few (Collateral, Blade Trinity) its pretty quiet for me...Im gettin old I guess too...
Old 05-30-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Whats Up With This Summer's Movies? They all Seem To Suck!

Originally posted by chanster
Maybe I am getting older, but none of the summer movies have really have me interested in seeing a movie..

Van Helsing - Nope. No
Troy - Nope.

I totally agree in fact you are the first person ANYWHERE to agree w/ me on Spider-man 2 b/c I hated the first one. I've talked to literally probably hundreds of people & not one but me didn't like it.

The only movies all summer I'm looking foward to are King Arthur b/c I'm on love with Keira Kinghtly, she's my #1 hottest female & I'm a huge Clive Owen fan as well & I'll go see The Village but I'm not really looking foward to it. I loathe Harry Potter, never seen the first 2 but little british twerps playing dungeons & dragons does not interest me.

My main problem with mainstream summer movies this year is they keep getting dumber & dumber & less & less creative every single year. I truly feel like studios no people have no expectations & as the motto of this forum proves people just like "good dumb popcorn fun". This forum is full of people posting that at almost every single dumb movie that comes out. I realize I am very weird, to take 2+ hours of my day out & $30 to see a movie, I expect more that just bad special effects & rehashed stories & remakes.
Old 05-30-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only movie I won't miss is The Village.

Those that I'd like to see in theaters during Summer & Fall:

Coffee and Cigarettes
Spider-Man 2
Chronicles of Riddick
The Incredibles
Sky Captain and The World Of Tomorrow
I, Robot
Ring 2
The Brothers Grimm
Blade: Trinity
Meet the Fockers
Ocean's Twelve
Old 05-30-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That's a good generalzation. Summer movies aren't oscar material. You have to remember that. They are made to get people in the theater and sit down for 2 hours. 2 hours of entertainment. So far I've been entertained by shrek 2 and Day After (as bad as it was). That is pretty good if you ask me.
Old 05-30-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I was looking forward to The Punisher and Van Helsing. But after I read some reviews I've decided to wait for video.

Saw Day After Tomorrow and was pretty disappointed, not worth the $9.25.

After that the only MUST SEE movies I have to see this summer are Shrek 2 and Spiderman 2.

I'll wait for reviews on The Village before I throw down $9.25 to see it.

The rest can either wait for video or I'm not interested in.
Old 05-30-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Punisher was not a summer film. I have a question, so a summer film sucks when you are not interested in seeing it? Wow, all this time I just thought that meant that the movie was not interesting TO YOU. While it may suck.. FOR YOU, it doesn't mean the film sucks for everyone. Summer just started and we are already stating that this summer's movies seem to all suck?
Old 05-30-04, 09:15 PM

I for one, think there is a lot of movies coming out in the next couple of months worthy of my money....

Harry Potter 3, Spider-Man 2, The Terminal, King Arthur, (agree w/ Sessa17 about Keira Knightley) The Village, Garden State, Collateral.

Shrek 2 is definitely the summer movie to beat thus far, Troy was a solid, but not a great film and The Day After Tomorrow was not an exciting summer movie at all IMHO.
Old 05-30-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Whats Up With This Summer's Movies? They all Seem To Suck!

Van Helsing - Nope. No
Troy - Nope.

Ha, kind of weird, I feel the same way except for the Village, I will go see it at the theater.

"Spiderman 2 - Nope. Didn't like the first one"
Old 05-30-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

movie was not interesting TO YOU. While it may suck.. FOR YOU, it doesn't mean the film sucks for everyone. Summer just started and we are already stating that this summer's movies seem to all suck?
So what? All criticism is an opinion. I am just saying there are a dearth of interesting films (according to ME). Seems like some folks agree.
Old 05-30-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

soooo. based on three summer films you have already called this summer season dead in the water?

So far I will say the summer season got off to a slow start with two lackluster films and one great film. 1 out of 3 is good so far. if you stated "what's up with the summer movies... SO FAR" then perhaps it would have been taken differently. as it stands it's out of the question to say this summer's movies suck for you haven't seen 90% of them.
Old 05-30-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
soooo. based on three summer films you have already called this summer season dead in the water?

So far I will say the summer season got off to a slow start with two lackluster films and one great film. 1 out of 3 is good so far. if you stated "what's up with the summer movies... SO FAR" then perhaps it would have been taken differently. as it stands it's out of the question to say this summer's movies suck for you haven't seen 90% of them.
I have to admit man, I don't care for any of the mainstream garbage being released this summer either. With that said, I am looking forward to a few suprises..........you know, a kick ass trailer that comes out 2 weeks before a movies release that looks better than anything that has been hyped up for the past 6 months, you know how it goes.

Edit - I do want to see The Village, so far it's the only summer flick I want to see (at the theater).

Last edited by Rival11; 05-30-04 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hype isn't always hollywood created. Garden State might be something up your alley and it is generating that "buzz", in other words Hype.

Then again, not every indie film is great. But that's the way things go. So generally I wont say a mainstream film is crap just because it was made by a mainstream studio. films should stand on their own.
Old 05-30-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just sick of the same old mainstream crap, Jack - you know damn well what to expect going into some of these movies. Of course I agree with you on the Indie/mainstream deal (how they should stand on their own) but there is no doubt that the mainstream films get plenty more boring and redundant after a while.

Also, this has nothing to do with the studios.
Old 05-30-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saying "dead in the water" means that other people won't go. I never claimed that, I just I think the movies this summer suck. Thats my opinion.

I am sure people will see this crap..but I probably won't
Old 05-30-04, 10:10 PM
Banned

Im not all that enthused about the current list of releases and "coming soon"'s - the only thing that looks even remotely interesting enough to me to MAYBE get me into the theater will be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkiban.

We've been enjoying our home theater far too much to blow $50 on a family outing on this very disappointing list for a single viewing, when we can spend $15 to own or $5 to rent and enjoy no lines, no crowds, better comfort, paused pottie breaks and better food, while watching whenever and however often we want.
Old 05-30-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saying "dead in the water" means that other people won't go. I never claimed that, I just I think the movies this summer suck. Thats my opinion.

I am sure people will see this crap..but I probably won't
I'm with ya man, I agree & I will say the summer movie season SO FAR & for the near future (ie next couple of weeks ) does indeed suck. Will there be millions upon millions of $s raked in?Absolutely. Will most people here love most major summer releases? Absolutely. Are they good movies? most will not be but that is no longer the judge of quality. I'm sorry but Troy & TDAT were just horrid & they were 2 of the 3 major movies kicking off the summer. Just accept that you & I are in the minority.
Old 05-30-04, 10:49 PM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Only "summer movie" I've seen so far is Shrek 2 and it was great. So far, so good.
Old 05-30-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've enjoyed most of 'em.
Old 05-30-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Groucho
Only "summer movie" I've seen so far is Shrek 2 and it was great. So far, so good.
Well then, by all means you should start a thread titled "This summer's movies ROCK!" I mean you've watched 1, you can generalize on the others that haven't been released just based on what little you may know.
Old 05-30-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked Troy a lot. Day After Tomorrow was pretty awful. Looking forward to The Terminal, Spider-Man 2, The Village, and King Arthur.
Old 05-31-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking forward to quite a lot this summer. Then again, in the fall I'll be saying the same thing about that season's upcoming flicks. So it goes.
Old 05-31-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah. I'm not thrilled with this summer's line-up.

I'm only looking forward to The Villiage. I will wait to see how Alien vs Predator and Riddick turn out. Everything else is video at best for me (although my friends will certainly drag me to the theater for some).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.