DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Dog Soldiers....how is it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/367039-dog-soldiers-how.html)

asianxcore 05-30-04 03:08 PM

Dog Soldiers....how is it?

I was thinking of buying it, but I haven't seen the movie, anyone want to share their opinions of it?

MSD 05-30-04 03:51 PM

It's the best werewolf film ever IMO. A very entertaining and fun flick. Definitely one of the best horror films to come out recently. The disc is pretty cheap so i'd pick it up.

asianxcore 05-30-04 03:52 PM

how is the gore in the movie? heard it was pretty gory. also how do the werewolves look?

Giantrobo 05-30-04 04:55 PM

While it was good movie I dont think it was "the best ever". I think some folks around dvdtalk say that just because it was made in Europe and not the U.S. :lol: Had it been American made it probably wouldn't get much attention from some around here. :p Anyway, there were some interesting twists/story ideas and they didn't hold back on the gore. Lotsa blodd, shooting, and violence. There's one scene with a soldier and a dog where the dog takes advantage of the soldiers "injured condition" that has to be seen to be believed. Yikes!

My only real complaint is with the werewolf costumes. I didn't like the full body shots of the costumes because they looked cheesy. However, I did like the upper body wolf shots, mostly when they're attacking of course, a great deal. But I'll let you judge for yourself on that issue.

I bought this one after hearing so many here Hype it and I'm glad I finally saw it.

MSD 05-30-04 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
While it was good movie I dont think it was "the best ever". I think some folks around dvdtalk say that just because it was made in Europe and not the U.S. :lol: Had it been American made it probably wouldn't get much attention from some around here. :p
The country it was made in is not factor for me. It was a fantastic film, plain and simple. Also it is the best WEREWOLF film ever IMO. ;) Of all the werewolf films i've seen, this is the best. Is there one better?

Tarantino 05-30-04 08:09 PM

I didn't like it too much. Don't know what it was about it, it just didn't grab me.

Rival11 05-30-04 08:09 PM

Originally posted by MSD
The country it was made in is not factor for me. It was a fantastic film, plain and simple. Also it is the best WEREWOLF film ever IMO. ;) Of all the werewolf films i've seen, this is the best. Is there one better?
Damn, this movie is really that good huh? I'll have to check it out.

MSD 05-30-04 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Rival11
Damn, this movie is really that good huh? I'll have to check it out.
I loved it, it was refreshing to see a good horror flick after all the crap that has been released lately.

Rival11 05-30-04 08:27 PM

Just got done watching the trailer, it doesn't really look like anything freaky or scary...............is this one just another gore fest? (not that there's anything wrong with that).

MSD 05-30-04 08:31 PM

There is some gore in it but not what i would call a gore fest(Dead Alive is what i'd call a gore fest). The film isn't scary or freaky, it's like Night of The Living Dead with werewolves. It's entertaining and has some very funny moments that really work well in the film.

Rival11 05-30-04 08:40 PM

Originally posted by MSD
There is some gore in it but not what i would call a gore fest(Dead Alive is what i'd call a gore fest). The film isn't scary or freaky, it's like Night of The Living Dead with werewolves. It's entertaining and has some very funny moments that really work well in the film.
Ah, no we're talking :up:

One more thing, does it have the kind of humor like Dawn of the Dead? (remake) or is it something completelly different but still kind of original?

Mopower 05-30-04 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Rival11
Ah, no we're talking :up:

One more thing, does it have the kind of humor like Dawn of the Dead? (remake) or is it something completelly different but still kind of original?

Some of the jokes fall short because of the thick accents of the soldiers and some of the language I didn't get because of the british slang.

asianxcore 05-30-04 08:59 PM

thanks for the help. might have to give it a shot if Circuit City still has their copy I saw, in a week. I think it was 6.99?

Rival11 05-30-04 09:00 PM

Originally posted by asianxcore
thanks for the help. might have to give it a shot if Circuit City still has their copy I saw, in a week. I think it was 6.99?
Yeah, I saw it a best buy for about 5 something - very friggin cheap.

TomOpus 05-30-04 10:01 PM

That's a great price for the flick. If I didn't already have it, I'd sure snag it.

DVD Smurf 05-30-04 10:18 PM

I thought it was watchable, but nothing great. It started of good, but lost its magic halfway through the film. 4/10

POWERBOMB 05-30-04 10:30 PM

If it's the same movie that Sci-fi has been showing it is a good movie. Of course most of the gory scenes are edited, but if it is as inexpensive as posted here it is a good movie to own.

gcribbs 05-30-04 11:08 PM

Deep discount has it for $7.18 shipped. Free shipping. no tax and if you use the Dvdtalk link you can help this site.

:)

Corvin 05-31-04 12:30 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say this is a good movie. I found it decent, at best. There's a reason it wasn't released to theaters (at least in the United States): everything about this movie screams straight-to-video. The acting, the effects, you name it. It may be that I found this movie to be especially bad because so many people seem to enjoy it to a point that I really can't comprehend. To each their own.

dom56 05-31-04 07:37 AM

I bought it as a blind buy and was not impressed, I thought the direction and editing was pretty sloppy. As being the best werewolf film, I will say that The Howling is my favorite so far. I do also liked Silver Bullet and meant to pick it up sometime.

drunkrob 05-31-04 09:58 AM

Nobody seen An American Werewolf in London then?

Rival11 05-31-04 02:14 PM

Just picked it up and about to watch it right now.......The "cineoshlockoramadamadingdong" review said it was great so here I go..........

Rival11 05-31-04 04:11 PM

Ha, what a kick ass film - the black & white shots were perfect and the humor worked great.

I'm pretty surprised at how damn good this movie was - I highly reccomend it - like others have said: It's the best werewolf movie ever.

There's something for every type of horror fan thrown into mix :up:

MSD 05-31-04 06:20 PM

Glad you liked it! :banana:

Rival11 05-31-04 06:53 PM

Hell yeah, I loved it:
Spoiler:
Spoon constantly chewing his gum even when the werewolf has him by the neck "I hope I give you the shits"
funny as hell.

So many good scenes.