Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Bubba Ho-tep"...what a fun, quirky little movie thread!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-30-04, 11:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 333 Likes on 295 Posts

See this movie! I just rented the DVD and I got to say what a pleasant surprise this was. A very fun romp that deserves everyones attention.

It is just silly and quirky and if you go in with an open mind and looking to have a good time and don't mind the story that is rather bizarre, but really does have some heart and some genuine comedic moments with some black comedy overtones, you'll have a great time. Don't think it is a horror film because it definitely isn't, I think it tries, but not too hard. More of a seek and destroy monster movie with wild ideas and even wilder scenarios.

Anyway, just thought I would share in case anyone saw the movie and thought and may have passed on it. Bottomline..don't.
Old 05-30-04, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, any movie that pits Bruce Campbell as a washed-up Elvis with a fork against a oversized cockroach DESERVES to be watched!!!
Old 05-30-04, 01:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I enjoyed it also

Bruce was great as was Ossie Davis as JFK.
Old 05-30-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked this film a lot... I have a review of it on my website...
Old 05-30-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go into it thinking it's more of a character study than it is a horror monster flick and you'll enjoy it a whole lot more.
Old 05-30-04, 01:45 PM

Watching this tonight.
Old 05-30-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I was a little disappointed on first viewing because...

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
go into it thinking it's more of a character study than it is a horror monster flick and you'll enjoy it a whole lot more.
Saw it a 2nd time and appreciated it more. Listened to the commentaries afterwards and fell in love with it.

Originally posted by MrX
Bruce was great as was Ossie Davis as JFK.
Agree! I thought they were a terrific duo.
Old 05-30-04, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hail to the King baby
Old 05-30-04, 02:25 PM

Question: In the end after the end credit there is something that mention some sort of sequel...

Bubba Nosfuratu or something like that about Vampires...will it be like the Phantasm sequels??? Does anyone know something about this???
Old 05-30-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A very solid little film. Very strange, but in the end Bruce and Ossie developed two characters that were rather endearing, depsite the oddity of it all. I'd hope that they don't make a sequel...this was enough on its own. The mummy himself was one of the lesser interesting things in the movie, it was how the two old folks dealt with him that was interesting.
Old 05-30-04, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
The mummy himself was one of the lesser interesting things in the movie, it was how the two old folks dealt with him that was interesting.
Couldn't agree with you more...
Old 05-30-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Question: In the end after the end credit there is something that mention some sort of sequel...

Bubba Nosfuratu or something like that about Vampires...will it be like the Phantasm sequels??? Does anyone know something about this???
This was originally put after the ending of the original short story by Joe R. Lansdale, kind of as a joke as I'm led to believe. Bruce Campbell and Don Coscarelli were asked about it and I believe they said something along the lines of "if everyone buys about 17 copies of the dvd". Bruce Campbell did state, however, that he'd love the opportunity to be The King again. The movie was, after all, totally financed by Don Coscarelli and got a little help in distribution, but that's about it. So unless the dvd sells LOTR numbers, I wouldn't expect another sequel.
Old 05-30-04, 04:49 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Misleading thread title. This movie thread is neither fun, quirky, nor little.
Old 05-30-04, 04:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 333 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
The mummy himself was one of the lesser interesting things in the movie, it was how the two old folks dealt with him that was interesting.
Exactly! It really doesn't become about this mummy and what it does to the old folks, but about the relationship between Elvis and JFK and the bond and trust they form through their interaction and discovering of the going's on.

The mummy/horror story is more of an after thought in this. This movie is such a wonderful study in how two actors of totally different backgrounds and generations work so well off each other and make the most of roles that are so quirky and bizarre that they can't help to make it pop and sizzle.

I mean Ossie Davis is a well-seasoned thespian of stage and film having been nominated for Tony's and countless other awards and he gives this role the true off-center humanism it deserves. And Bruce, well he became famous for these roles and takes this one and adds I think a little something that we hadn't seen in say the Evil Dead movie's..but warmth and character nuiances that makes this role a genuine treasure of acting.

So understated and yet so effective by the both that it makes this little movie that could work on so many levels.
Old 05-30-04, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
This was originally put after the ending of the original short story by Joe R. Lansdale, kind of as a joke as I'm led to believe. Bruce Campbell and Don Coscarelli were asked about it and I believe they said something along the lines of "if everyone buys about 17 copies of the dvd". Bruce Campbell did state, however, that he'd love the opportunity to be The King again. The movie was, after all, totally financed by Don Coscarelli and got a little help in distribution, but that's about it. So unless the dvd sells LOTR numbers, I wouldn't expect another sequel.
Thanks...
Old 05-30-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought this because I'm a big fan of Bruce and his work. I thought the movie was average but the Bruce made on hell of an Elvis and made the DVD well worth the money. I need to go back and check out the commentaries because I know they will be great as well.
Old 05-30-04, 11:09 PM
Suspended

I bought the DVD because of Bruce as well. I was expecting a silly or slapstick comedy and when really didn't get what I expected. But not in a bad way. I really liked it. Bruce was awesome as Elvis and Ossie Davis.. well he's great in everything
Old 05-31-04, 12:16 AM

Two thumbs up, says I!
Old 05-31-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never saw it until the dvd release... now in less than a week I have seen it at least 5 times. Classic film.
Old 05-31-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 148 Posts
I just bought my copy today and watched it when I got home. Great movie, I enjoyed it all throughout, some very funny moments. Wasn't bored once

and I agree Ozzie Davis and Bruce Campbell were perfect for their roles.
Old 05-31-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best blind buy in a lllooooonnnggg time!
Old 05-31-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, I guess everyone was renting/buying this DVD this weekend. I rented it, and I think it'll probably grow on me on later viewings because it was so dang bizarre, it took some getting used to for me.
Old 06-02-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Egh, this movie did nothing for me. However, I am tempted to listen to one of the commentaries because I liked Campbell's one on the Evil Dead. Which is better of the two, the solo or the one with director....I don't think I'll have time to listen to both b/c this is a rental
Old 06-03-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: "Bubba Ho-tep"...what a fun, quirky little movie thread!

Originally posted by scott1598
See this movie! I just rented the DVD and I got to say what a pleasant surprise this was. A very fun romp that deserves everyones attention.
I gotta agree with you Scott, it was a lot of fun!
Probably not going to be everyone cup of tea, but for those whom it "clicks with," it is pretty damn funny, and as you said also has a lot of heart!
Old 06-03-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I love the original Lansdale story, but I don't think the movie adds a whole lot to it, except for the fun of watching Bruce Campbell. If you're coming to the movie without having read the story, I'm sure it's a lot of fun. But for me, the story is the King.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.