Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

best Jack Nicholson performance

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which is his best?
Easy Rider (1969)
1.43%
Five Easy Pieces (1970)
5.71%
The Last Detail (1973)
0%
Chinatown (1974)
4.29%
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
51.43%
The Shining (1980)
17.14%
A Few Good Men (1992)
5.71%
The Pledge (2001)
1.43%
About Schmidt (2002)
5.71%
Other
7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

best Jack Nicholson performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 03:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Hell, Ceaser Romero did a better job that Jack did.
Let's not over-exaggerate.
Old 05-31-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Good as it Gets
Old 05-31-04, 10:34 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
About Schmidt
Old 05-31-04, 01:53 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
His performance in The Last Detail is highly underrated. However, I voted for Five Easy Pieces.
Old 05-31-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't planning on it, but I chose "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by a nose since it is a defining performance. Jack, even now, has so many great defining performances. The difference is now he has an over -the-top persona and radiates that Jackness. His earlier, more understated performances are fantastic in "Easy Rider", "King of Marvin Gardens", "Five Easy Pieces", "The Passenger" and my two favorite Jack films, "The Last Detail" and "Chinatown". Of his later more over the top films, he is great in "The Shining", which while being a bit over the top, really belongs to the earlier group of films. Right after this he was understated again in "Reds". Back to the later period, he's highly enjoyable in "Witches of Eastwick", "A Few Good Men", "As Good As It Gets". "The Crossing Guard", and "About Schmidt".
Old 05-31-04, 04:27 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rivero
Let's not over-exaggerate.
No - I mean that.

Lets set the criteria. If we look at the roll as a stand alone, nothing to do with interperting the roll from the comics - then Jack is more subtle and polished, while Ceaser was over the top and full of camp. That's not a reflection on the actor - that's just the nature of the show.

However, if we look the source Joker as we see him in the comics - then Ceaser is considerably closer to the deranged, unhinged, and downright insane criminal we all know and love. I could believe that if the Romero Joker was grappling with the Batman, and had the option of snatching two items from a nearby table to attack with: a knife and an a 2 day old dead trout - it's completly plausable that he very well might go with the fish just for the comedy value.

Jack's brand of insanity on the other hand is too reserved and regined in to do that.
Old 05-31-04, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by El-Kabong

However, if we look the source Joker as we see him in the comics - then Ceaser is considerably closer to the deranged, unhinged, and downright insane criminal we all know and love. I could believe that if the Romero Joker was grappling with the Batman, and had the option of snatching two items from a nearby table to attack with: a knife and an a 2 day old dead trout - it's completly plausable that he very well might go with the fish just for the comedy value.
I certainly see what you're saying. As a long-time Batman fan I've been saying since day one that the makers of Batman missed the mark with the Joker and turned a psychotic and lethal character into a laughable fat clown. I never understood the praise that Nicholson got for this role from some fans back then. That said, I will still take him over Romero, or anyone/anything even remotely associated with that abominable TV show anyday.