Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

favorite speeches/monologues

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-27-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alec Baldwin's entire scene in glengarry glenn ross
Dennis Hopper's speech about Sicilan's in true romance
Banky's little speech about the defenition of sex between women in chasing amy
Old 05-27-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But my cousin Walter jerked off in public once. True story. He was on a plane to New Mexico when all of the sudden the hydraulics went. The plane started spinning around, going out of control, so he decides it's all over and whips it out and starts beating it right there. So all the other passengers take a cue from him and they start whipping it out and beating like mad. So all the passengers are beating off, plummeting to their certain doom, when all of the sudden, *Snap* the hydraulics kick back in. The plane rights itself and it land safely and everyone puts their pieces or, whatever, you know, away and deboard. No one mentions the phenomenon to anyone else.
Old 05-27-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also, if its possible, put the movie title in there also.
thats from big lebowski right?
Old 05-27-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts
"F-U" on 25th Hour
Old 05-27-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nothing will ever top Marlon Brando in the study at the beginning of The Godfather.

A recent one I enjoyed was John Travolta's opening monologue in Swordfish.
Old 05-27-04, 07:49 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Doughboy
Nothing will ever top Marlon Brando in the study at the beginning of The Godfather.
I don't think that was as good as Brando's "I coulda been a contender" speech from On the Waterfront
Old 05-27-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Mondo Kane
"F-U" on 25th Hour
Old 05-27-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Suprised no one has mentioned any of Walken's memorable speeches from numerous films, Tarantino and otherwise, True Romance is the tops for me.
Old 05-27-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 525 Likes on 376 Posts
Quint & Col. Jessup
Old 05-27-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
also, if its possible, put the movie title in there also.
thats from big lebowski right?
mallrats. You post a chasing amy quote and you don't know your mallrats? you have a long way to go rypro.. a long way indeed.

to add to the list.

"I love the smell of naplam in the morning.. it smells like.. it smells like vicotry"

short, but a powerful speech indeed.
Old 05-27-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you make up your mind, send me a message -- I'll meet you any place, any time, and when we do meet, old man, it's you I want to see, not the police...and don't be so gloomy...After all, it's not that awful -- you know what the fellow said... In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed - but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long, Holly.
Old 05-27-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Christopher Walken's Speech in Pulp Fiction about the watch

George C. Scott in Patton in front of the American flag.

another vote for Ed Norton's F-U speech in the 25th Hour
Old 05-27-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of good ones from Apocalypse Now:

I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A ile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, man, you don't talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll, uh, well, you'll say hello to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you, and he won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say do you know that if is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you - I mean I'm no, I can't - I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...
Old 05-27-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Al Pacino's inches speech in Any Given Sunday.

And another vote for the F-U speech.
Old 05-27-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brad Pitt's middle children of history in Fight Club.

Tom Cruise as Frank TJ Mackey in Magnolia. Master of the Muffin.
Old 05-27-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Kind of an odd choice since it's a fairly forgettable picture, but, off the top of my head, Kevin Bacon's heartfelt plea for leniency in front of the town council in Footloose. Great acting job.
Old 05-27-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mr. Brown "explaining" Madonna's Like A Virgiin in Reservoir Dogs.

just thinkin' bout it.
Old 05-27-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 102 Posts
I like the speech spoken by Sean Astin at almost the end of the Two Towers, very moving. But my favorite is still Henry Fonda's "I be there" speech on The Grapes of Wrath.
Old 05-28-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by conscience
Mr. Brown "explaining" Madonna's Like A Virgiin in Reservoir Dogs.

just thinkin' bout it.
I love the theory on tipping in that same scene.
Old 05-28-04, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 190 Posts
I love Sam Jackson's speech to Tim Roth at the end of PULP FICTION.
Old 05-28-04, 07:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thelma Ritter in "Pickup on South Street"
Old 05-28-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hanks closing speech in castaway about the sun rising everyday.
Old 05-28-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
Old 05-28-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always liked Charles S. Dutton's speech to the convicts to convince them to fight instead of just lying down and letting the Alien pick them off one by one in ALien 3.
Old 05-28-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mel Gibson in Braveheart, the part where he is pleading with Robert the Bruce for the nobles to help the rebellion. "Help us. For God's sake, help yourselves!" Gets me everytime.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.