Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mr. Jackson isn't finished

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should Peter Jackson make "The Hobbit"?
I was thinking the exact same thing.
54.46%
I can live with the LOTR saga the way it is.
38.39%
What the hell is "The Hobbit"?
7.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Mr. Jackson isn't finished

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought "Jackson doing the Hobbit" is what got him put in jail.

P Jackson wants to do the Hobbit, but the rights are held by a different group. I believe they are in negotiations.
Old 05-27-04, 07:27 AM
Banned

I havent really noticed any so called thread crapping - Im all about having an opinion and even went as far as making this a polled thread - so whatever you got, bring it on
Old 05-27-04, 07:29 AM
Banned

6 votes (as of the time of this post) that show there are some that dont even know what "the Hobbit" is? is this a joke or are there that many people who just honestly have no idea (I feel sorry for them)
Old 05-27-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I say that a new phrase be created. Thread Circle Jerk. this would be when the thread only contains the views of those behind said idea as everyone strokes each others ego.
Excellent idea. (sounds familiar even!)
Old 05-27-04, 08:20 AM
Banned

Also lets not also forget that Hugo Weaving also needs to reprise his role of Elrond some 20 or so years prior to his character in FotR and that is even more of a dilema as he should appear to not have aged at all between the time of the Hobbit and FotR.

I sincerely hope he does do this - I would probably live and live if he didnt, but man it would just be so great to have this to add as a final closing chapter to the saga - even if it is a prequel - LOL
Old 05-27-04, 08:31 AM
Retired

He should do it at some point. But he deserves some time off first.

It's inevitable with LOTR's success that the Hobbit will get a movie version, and it will be a travesty if anyone other than Jackson does it, as there's no way it would mesh as smoothly with the trilogy.
Old 05-27-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
They should just get Michael Bay to do it instead so people might be able to stay awake during it.
Old 05-27-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by nemein
Last I heard the family wouldn't sell him (or anyone) the rights to the Hobbit. W/O that the idea is pretty much DOA.
Nope! The problem is that New Line has the rights to MAKE "The Hobbit", but the rights to DISTRIBUTE said adaptation belong to... MGM!

So, until they've worked that out, no Hobbit for us...
Old 05-27-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm more concerned that he selected Jack Black to be in King Kong rather than making The Hobbit.
Old 05-27-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Nope! The problem is that New Line has the rights to MAKE "The Hobbit", but the rights to DISTRIBUTE said adaptation belong to... MGM!

Considering how well LOTR did you would think MGM would want a part of the action. New Line would like to make more money. How about a co-finance the movie and both win? Right now, both being greedy isn't earning them one cent.

Let PJ produce it the way he wants to. It shouldn't matter where the money comes from if he does it like he did LOTR.
Old 05-27-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
He makes it, I'll see it.
Old 05-27-04, 04:04 PM

People will still go crazy if they make it in five years. Look at star wars. 20 years later didn't ruin the fan craze when episode I came out.
You're right, the fans were still just as excited...until they saw it. :P

As for using makeup, it's easier to age people than to make them look significantly younger. In the end, though, I think we just want to have these actors around. It would be a shame if waiting longer than they need to due to the MGM/New Line issues means they'll have to pull a Dumbledore-type recasting job.
Old 05-27-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally i think it was a very bad decision to do a remake of King Kong. He's at his high point with LOTR's trilogy and by doing KK it's going to be his downfall.
Old 05-27-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by roger_d
Personally i think it was a very bad decision to do a remake of King Kong. He's at his high point with LOTR's trilogy and by doing KK it's going to be his downfall.

I could see that, but more or less because people will be wanting a LOTR follow-up in terms of quality and PJ will be making what is essentially a popcorn movie in his eyes.
Old 05-27-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Duder
You're right, the fans were still just as excited...until they saw it. :P

As for using makeup, it's easier to age people than to make them look significantly younger. In the end, though, I think we just want to have these actors around. It would be a shame if waiting longer than they need to due to the MGM/New Line issues means they'll have to pull a Dumbledore-type recasting job.
the make up is there. It's very simple to make someone look younger. But when you have the mindset already in your head that these people are old then that is when the illusion falls short. If you don't walk in already nitpicking it then the magic of movie make up will surprise you.
Old 05-27-04, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DaveNinja
They should just get Michael Bay to do it instead so people might be able to stay awake during it.
Since you're probably the only person who was unable to stay awake, I wouldn't count on that happening.
Old 05-27-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I'd like to see him try his hand at one of the next Harry Potter films.
Old 05-27-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
since when has expressing your viewpoint when asked what it was become a thread crap?

I say that a new phrase be created. Thread Circle Jerk. this would be when the thread only contains the views of those behind said idea as everyone strokes each others ego.
Not when "expressing your viewpoint" is "make it stop" which adds no intelligent contribution to the conversation and is just used to make a quick useless negative comment. That to me is a threadcrap.

I don't care if you disagree just take the time explain why intellegently and actually add to the conversation. I for one am sick of all the haters who are just waiting for a thread to empty their load in. Guess what, just because you didn't like a popular movie doesn't mean that you are a superior person. I for one would be much happier without all the snide one-liners that plague this forum.
Old 05-27-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I really don't consider "Make it stop" a threadcrap. It seems like an issue that has been beaten to the ground already. And if you are looking for any signs of intellegent conversation on the internet I have a nice bridge to sell you.

I doubt the person disliked LOTR's. I think the person who made the comment was sick and tired of this specific issue being brought up, not to mention the way it was presented. To make it sound like if all the things were in the right place but Jackson was the only thing holding this project back from having it green lighted. He already expressed some interest. What else do you want?

The one liners are part of the forum if you like them or not. Personally they make it funny. Especially when there is a lot of stupid back and forth such as topics like "SW vs LOTR" threads popping up. That is where you should express your concerns. Not random comments which by the most part are harmless jokes.

A threadcrap, that is not. You comments and mine though, would be considered thread de-rails. Not as bad as threadcraps, but equally effective in destroying the current conversation in said thread.
Old 05-27-04, 09:21 PM
Cool New Member

Id love to see the hobbit turned into a feature film. It would complete the series and I dont see how they couldnt do it.

In fact I wish they had of started with the hobbit and moved onto the rings from there. Jackson of course would be ideal as his extensive knowledge would be invaluable. Plus he already knows the main players if all actors reprised their roles.

All I ask is they give it a little time and thought. Not just rush in for the quick buck and make a direct to video performance.

Last edited by Knight76; 05-27-04 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-28-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there is a temptation to think that "The Hobbit" would, essentially, be "LOTR IV". Nothing could be further from the truth.

Right now, it would be judged squarely as a sequel (or "prequel") to the movie trilogy, instead of being judged on its own merits. That's a recipe for disaster.
Old 05-28-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by roger_d
See, I disagree. If it was just some cash-in project, I'd agree. But King Kong has been Jackson's dream project, so I know he's got a ton of passion for it. He moved on to Lord of the Rings when King Kong fell through 7 or so years ago, so it was inevitable he would make this his next project if given the chance. Considering the enthusiam he has for this, which is probably even moreso than LoTR, I'm all for it.
Old 05-28-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the make up is there. It's very simple to make someone look younger. But when you have the mindset already in your head that these people are old then that is when the illusion falls short. If you don't walk in already nitpicking it then the magic of movie make up will surprise you.
I both agree and disagree with this statement. On one hand, knowing they are really older hurts the illusion, but sometimes the illusion just isn't all that convincing. Red Dragon vs. Silence of the Lambs, for example. Did Hopkins really look younger in Dragon? I just don't think so.
Old 05-28-04, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

http://www.sundayherald.com/38504

Producers New Line Cinema are understandably keen to cash in on their success by pressing on with a dramatisation of the trilogy’s prequel, The Hobbit, while Jackson wishes to use the hundreds of weapons, suits of armour and fantastic props left over from his epic cinematic endeavour as the foundation for a Lord Of The Rings museum in New Zealand. Both projects are now in severe doubt, however, following the refusal of Christopher, eldest of Tolkien’s four children and the author’s literary executor, to give the estate’s blessing.

“The difficulty everybody has is the Tolkien estate and the problem is always a legal one. New Line Cinema doesn’t have the authority to allow the museum to happen and I understand there are issues with The Hobbit rights as well,” said director Jackson. “It’s frustrating, because we want to thank the people of New Zealand for their support and have appealed at various times to do something for the community, but they keep saying no.”
Potentially we are both right after a fashion...

Last edited by nemein; 05-28-04 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-28-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I doubt Christopher Tolkein is going to allow this. Doesn't he own the rights? Wasn't he pretty vocal about hating the movies?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.