Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suspiria - remake (2018, D: Guadagnino) S: Swinton, Johnson, Moretz, Goth

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Suspiria - remake (2018, D: Guadagnino) S: Swinton, Johnson, Moretz, Goth

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 12:05 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Suspiria - remake (2018, D: Guadagnino) S: Swinton, Johnson, Moretz, Goth

I used Google Translate:

Interviewed at the microphones of Radio Rai 1 "Un Giorno da Pecora" radio program Dario Argento commented for the first time on "Suspiria", the remake of his classic horror by Luca Guadagnino and released in Italian on January 1st.

I saw the remake of "Suspiria" at the cinema. It did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: there is little fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much, it's like that, a refined film, like Guadagnino, who is a fine person . declared the director.

then I add:
Guadagnino makes beautiful tables, beautiful curtains, beautiful dishes, all beautiful ...

In short, Silver does not spare criticism to the colleague reserving some jab to Thom Yorke author of the soundtrack that according to the master of horror would go far from the work done at the time by the Goblin members able to pack for the original film dated 1977 a soundtrack that even today it terrifies like the filmed scenes.
Dario Argento stronca il remake di "Suspiria": "?ha tradito lo spirito dell'originale: c'è poca paura, non c'è musica" | IndieForBunnies

I don't necessarily disagree. I didn't care much for it on my initial viewing, but it did stick with me. I would revisit it.
Old 01-30-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Finally watched this and liked it.

4/5
Old 01-30-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Finally watched this and liked it.

4/5
Same. Yet As much as I liked it, I would love to see a shortened fan-edit.
Old 01-31-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

What an amazing film. Finally a serious horror flick made in present time that captures the old school look and feel of the older serious horror films and makes it even better. The last half hour is so gnarly. I really loved this one.

Things I can't figure out (and haven't read through this entire thread yet):

Spoiler:
Other than the girls mother - are there any other clues that she was mother suspiriorum from the beginning? Also, who was the creature? Was that another one of the 3 main witches? Last, why did Tilda Swinson play the old man (literally it was her in make up in some scenes) for some scenes and not all of them - to the extend of my knowledge, the old man in the movie didn't pass away or anything in real life - I know why he was used as the "witness" but I don't understand the character swap out

Lastly, I dug the
Spoiler:
room full of failed vessels
Old 03-17-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Two of the guys at RLM re:View the remake (they also have a video for the original).

Old 05-02-19, 07:53 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This will be up on Prime starting tomorrow.
Old 05-02-19, 08:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That's what it's worth. Very drab middle of the road comedy - or 1.5/5 as people like to rate here.
Old 05-02-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
What an amazing film. Finally a serious horror flick made in present time that captures the old school look and feel of the older serious horror films and makes it even better.
Yeah very atmospheric mood that's enhanced by the score and cinematography.
Old 05-03-19, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This will be up on Prime starting tomorrow.
It will be available in 4K.
Old 05-03-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
That's what it's worth. Very drab middle of the road comedy - or 1.5/5 as people like to rate here.
Hmm, middle of the road comedy never really occurred to me, but I guess I could see that?
Old 05-10-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Things I can't figure out (and haven't read through this entire thread yet):
Spoiler:
Other than the girls mother - are there any other clues that she was mother suspiriorum from the beginning? Also, who was the creature? Was that another one of the 3 main witches? Last, why did Tilda Swinson play the old man (literally it was her in make up in some scenes) for some scenes and not all of them - to the extend of my knowledge, the old man in the movie didn't pass away or anything in real life - I know why he was used as the "witness" but I don't understand the character swap out

I re-watched the film last night. Enjoyed it just as much as I did when I saw it theatrically.

Spoiler:
1. The clues that I thought were laid out early regarding Susie being Mother Suspiriorum I thought were in her dreams or her reactions to them. The scene where Susie wakes up the floor that she is on by screaming "I know who I am!", I felt was a clue. Also Susie slowly being able to take over the dreams that Madame Blanc sends her. It's one the sequence where Madame Blanc is in the center of a room wildly reacting to all of the new images that Susie is placing into her dreams.

2. I believe the creature that is at the end of the film is Mother Suspiriorum's Demonic Familiar.

3. In interviews that I've read, Swinton mentions that playing that role was a fun/why not approach. The make-up is very good but its still distracting. Some of the facial features left as well as the voice give it a way a bit.