Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suspiria - remake (2018, D: Guadagnino) S: Swinton, Johnson, Moretz, Goth

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Suspiria - remake (2018, D: Guadagnino) S: Swinton, Johnson, Moretz, Goth

Old 05-25-04, 01:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Suspiria Remake??

Originally posted by Rival11
Because I want to try things differently this time out - I want to see a remake before the original and then make my comparisons. I'm pretty pumped to (well, IF a remake is coming out) because a lot of people really seem to love this movie and I've heard the word classic brought up plenty
that doesn't make sense...you should always see the original and then see a remake. that is a natural progression, not the other way around!! "Jack, you're doing it wrong!"
Old 05-25-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspiria Remake??

Originally posted by scott1598
that doesn't make sense...you should always see the original and then see a remake. that is a natural progression, not the other way around!! "Jack, you're doing it wrong!"
No way, I'm doing it different this time.........I like going against the grain.

Besides, you never even came back with further thoughts after watching this flick yesterday??? How abuot a review please.

Ok, ok, I have something to confess, I bought Suspiria last night on DVD but I did NOT open it!!!

Last edited by Rival11; 05-25-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 03:25 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I imagine if this remake ever gets made it will end up being an invese of the original... they'll pump up the story but it won't have any of the atmosphere of the original. I imagine it'll be Save the Last Dance meets The Craft. Or worse, I picture an urban dance film like Honey or You've Got Served with a supernatural twist. I was pleasantly surprised by the remakes for Chainsaw and Dawn though, so who knows.
Old 05-25-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG!! I am watching this at this moment! Renting because of peeps here...what the hell is this all about. i loved the music (Goblins are alright!) ------ Snip -- Mindless Ramblings ------
My head hurts...
Old 05-25-04, 07:46 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I didn't think the last ten minutes were as scary as the first 90.
Argento has said he doesn't feel the ending is as important as how you get to the ending. This is why the ending of some of his films (Inferno leaps to mind) seem almost like letdowns. It takes a while to get used to but eventually you don't even notice it anymore.
Old 05-26-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Argento has said he doesn't feel the ending is as important as how you get to the ending. This is why the ending of some of his films (Inferno leaps to mind) seem almost like letdowns. It takes a while to get used to but eventually you don't even notice it anymore.
Thanks, but I was making a joke. A play on the film's famous (and misheard) tagline.

Scott, how Rival sees his films is his way; you can watch movies your way. Would it really bother you to watch High Society before The Philadelphia Story? They're adaptations of the same play; some would consider HS a remake.

As for this particular remake, it's being adapted by Steve Katz, who wrote the damn good, and very funny niche-film-lovers' niche film, Shadow Of The Vampire. Guy's got a good handle of things. Hell, he might improve the script (which, to be honest, wasn't great to begin with. Do you remember the use of color and style, or the dialogue? Thought so).

As long as stuff like THIS is kept in...
"Bad luck isn't brought by broken mirrors, but by broken minds!"

"I once read that names which begin with the letter 'S' are the names of SNAKES!"

<right>... I suppose I can't complain!</right>
Old 05-26-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As for this particular remake, it's being adapted by Steve Katz, who wrote the damn good, and very funny niche-film-lovers' niche film, Shadow Of The Vampire.
I know a lot of people who hated Shadow of the Vampire (myself included).

The remake could have a fantastic script, but Suspiria isn't great because of the story, it's great because the way it's told. If the remake has a great script, but a bland visual style, then what's the point?
Old 05-26-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
The remake could have a fantastic script, but Suspiria isn't great because of the story, it's great because the way it's told. If the remake has a great script, but a bland visual style, then what's the point?
... a point that I brought up.
Old 05-29-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, so I wanted to try something new...............but failed:

I told a friend of mine that I bought Suspiria on DVD but didn't want to watch it until the remake came out (see my post above for a tad bit more info) his words were: "so you wasted your money on garbage huh?" and of course I asked for an explanation which he replied with:

"Great cinematography, amazing visuals and atmoshphere, horrible acting, the use of red actually makes you want to puke after a while, should have been A LOT shorter due to no story or plot, "corny" violence, the revealing ending was good".

So of course I popped it in and well, I completely agree
Old 05-29-04, 12:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i tolda ya rival!

i finished watching it to. i rented however and what a piece of crap. yes, awesome visuals and the goblins music was amazing, but the acting was horrible, the story was un-highly inspired and the ending was so flat. this was a bad tv movie at best.

to say this was one of his best..i can't hardly understand what peeps are thinking.
Old 05-29-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i tolda ya rival!

i finished watching it to. i rented however and what a piece of crap. yes, awesome visuals and the goblins music was amazing, but the acting was horrible, the story was un-highly inspired and the ending was so flat. this was a bad tv movie at best.

to say this was one of his best..i can't hardly understand what peeps are thinking.
Yeah, I understand your previous comments for sure now. I gave it shot though right?

"this was a bad tv movie at best" so harsh...................but unfortunately true.
Old 05-29-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a fantastic movie, but not everyone likes it, nor is it for everyone. I bet if you watch it again your opinion will change, maybe for the worse. Whenever I watch Argento, or Italian horror in general, my opinion is always different the second time around. I have always liked a film better the second time though.

Try your luck with Tenebre, that's my favorite Argento.
Old 05-29-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try your luck with Tenebre, that's my favorite Argento.
Along with Deep Red and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Tenebre is a film that should be one of the first Argento films shown to an Argento newbie. Those three films are the most "mainstream" of his films that he has done... mainstream in this case being "easy to get into to" and "not as weird" as his other flicks.

NOTE: Cat 'O Nine Tails and Four Flies On Grey Velvet could be considered two other Argento "mainstream" films, but Cat... sucks and Four Flies... isn't on DVD (sadly).

Films like Suspiria, Inferno, Phenomena (Argento's finest IMO), Opera, and The Stendhal Syndrome should be shown after one has been shown some of Argento's other flicks. Argento is not a filmmaker who concentrates on plot, it's all style over substance, and he's one of the few filmmakers who can pull it off.
Old 05-29-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know guys, to me it was just a bad movie. I can see why people like this film, but it just bored me to no end and the style got old very fast.

With that said, I do admit the ending
Spoiler:
the half shot of the witches in the room and that damn little kid with his back to the camera and the living dead girl walking into the room
did a damn good job of freaking me the hell out.
Old 05-21-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not Another Remake!...Suspiria Edition

Just read this on Dark Horizons
First Sun Plans "Suspiria" Remake
By Garth FranklinFriday May 18th 2007 1:29am
image First Sun has acquired the rights to remake Dario Argento's classic 1977 horror movie "Suspiria" an plan to remake it as an English-language film.

"'Suspiria' has a unique style that we want to reinvent for today's generation. We intend to create a concept that will encompass cinema, videogames, fashion and music and that revives the original for those who did not experience it. The Gothic resurgence is very strong around the world at the moment ... and we feel that a new version of 'Suspiria' will fit very well" said 'Sun' co-founder and director Luca Guadagnino ("Melissa P.") at a press conference in Cannes yesterday.

Guadagnino added that he is seeking an international director not necessarily associated with the horror genre. First Sun is also in talks with writer Scott Heim ("Mysterious Skin") and David Gordon Green to adapt, and production is slated to begin next year.

The original refurbished Italian-language version of the film is set to screen today at Cannes in honor of the 30th anniversary of its release.
If Hollywood is so insistent on churning out these horror remakes, why mess with a classic like Suspiria?
Old 05-21-07, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Just read this on Dark Horizons

If Hollywood is so insistent on churning out these horror remakes, why mess with a classic like Suspiria?
because that's all Hollywood can do nowadays, remake movies, not come up with any new originals stories...
Old 05-21-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
because that's all Hollywood can do nowadays, remake movies, not come up with any new originals stories...
Well if they have to do them, why not concentrate on one that seemed excellent on paper, but was just poorly executed?
Old 05-21-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey The D
Because they're so insistent on churning out these horror remakes?
Old 05-21-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember when Dimension/Weinstein Company owned the rights to produce the remake, they said it just couldn't happen as it was too hard to adapt for American audiences.

I don't think they should remake it at all. Argento is the only one who is capable of pulling off the mayhem and madness as he did. However, for the fact they got Scott Heim and David Gordon Green on board to write the screenplay does peak my interest.

If you haven't yet, Mysterious Skin (which Heim wrote the novel for) and George Washington (Green's first film) need to be seen -- two of the most underrated independent films of the past decade.
Old 05-21-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
Because they're so insistent on churning out these horror remakes?
Hence my post above yours.
Old 05-21-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When will Hollywood remake crap and not good cinema? It boggles the mind. It isn't like Suspiria is such a household title that people are clamoring for an update. In fact I'm pretty sure no one is.
Old 05-21-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
This caught my attention:

"We intend to create a concept that will encompass cinema, videogames, fashion and music and that revives the original for those who did not experience it."
I thought this was abominably laughable until I realized the original encompassed the macabre, horrifying, near pants-shitting world of.... a ballet school.

I say, go ahead and remake it. The original could be one of the most overpraised horror movies ever filmed.
Old 05-21-07, 02:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Let's hope they keep the soundtrack, which helpfully reminded us every three seconds that the film was about "WITCHES!"
Old 05-21-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Let's hope they keep the soundtrack, which helpfully reminded us every three seconds that the film was about "WITCHES!"
I heard they're going for an urban feel with the remake, so it'll be changed to "BITCHES!".
Old 08-06-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Time to dust off this thread....Natalie Portman will head Suspiria.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.