Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suspiria - remake (2018, D: Guadagnino) S: Swinton, Johnson, Moretz, Goth

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Suspiria - remake (2018, D: Guadagnino) S: Swinton, Johnson, Moretz, Goth

Old 04-10-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Don't mess with perfection!

Oh and leave Opera alone...before it's too late!
Old 04-10-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zak52
You say you skip them here but on your last post you say you watch them.
What I said was clear, I guess I didn't specifize it enough b/c I didn't realize people scrutinize what I write so closely.

I don't spend one penny on remakes. 95% of them I never see. But I can't criticize what I don't see. If my roomates rent one or my girlfriend is watching one on TV etc. I will sit down if I have time, & watch part of it. I'm not supporting the success of the remake with my dollar. And if I never see any remake ever, the fact that I criticize them them seems rather invalid.
Old 04-10-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my opinion that's one of the maestro's best, right after Suspiria, Tenebre and Deep Red. In any case it's way better than the other two you mentioned.
Different strokes for different folks, eh? His best films in my eyes are: Phenomena, Deep Red, Tenebre, Suspiria, and Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Opera and The Stendhal Syndrome are good, but not as good as my favorites. Inferno is decent and everything else is crap from there (with the exception of Sleepless and Four Flies on Grey Velvet which I've never seen).

Oh and leave Opera alone
They still have operas!?!?!?!

I'm not sure what's worse, remaking this or the upcoming Dawn of the Dead remake.
I don't know. At least James "Scooby Doo" Gunn is not attached to the Suspiria remake. Then again, at least Dimension is not attached to the Dawn of the Dead remaked.
Old 04-10-03, 10:47 PM
Banned

seriously why is it they only redo good movies? Should the primis be remake a shitty movie and make it better? This angers me because its my favorite horror movie of all time and a remake would be retarded.
Old 04-10-03, 11:46 PM

I'm pretty upset as well. Why don't they just re-release it into theatres over here to introduce people to Argento's work. I'm afraid that they will screw this up so badly that no one will care about the og suspiria and who Argento is. Suspiria is a beautiful film!!! I'm just glad it's not Opera they are redoing. Opera is my favorite horror film of all time...anyway, this just sucks alltogether.
Old 04-11-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
JENNIFER GARNER should STAR in it.
Old 04-13-03, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel

I don't know. At least James "Scooby Doo" Gunn is not attached to the Suspiria remake.
I prefer to think of him as James "Tromeo and Juliet" Gunn.
Old 04-13-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nooooooooo

Come up with something new.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Dimension decided to redo this one in black and white, b/c we know how important those two colors were to Argento's film ..... grinning

Last edited by DarthMaul420; 04-13-03 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Suspiria -- Remake

Hey, you............yeah you.

I have not seen the movie Suspiria yet and I already know it's splattered all over the boards here (which I like and don't like. I like it because of: cool nasty pics beautiful looking shots and I don't like it because: you're (I'm) spoiling the damn movie for me

I hear there is going to be a remake of this film?? Is that true?
I mainly want to know because if there is, I'm NOT going to watch the original until after I see the remake.

I know what some of you are prob. saying: "Hey Rival, stop being a lazy ass and look it up yourself" Well that's the problem, I haven't found anything reliable or fool proof yet...................................Wanna help??
Old 05-24-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 159 Posts
Don't know about a remake. I tried watching it about a year ago to do an on-air review of it, however I couldn't get through it. I found it to be extremely annoying (soundtrack) and too muddled to follow. I know this is listed as one of the greats, but I just didn't get it.
Old 05-24-04, 04:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
OMG!! I am watching this at this moment! Renting because of peeps here...what the hell is this all about. i loved the music (Goblins are alright!) and atmosphere right from the start (airport) and then what the hell happened?? i won't give things away, but just too bizarre to get into...i'm going to muddle through to the end, but might take me awhile, but so far..i dunno!

i have his (Dario Argento) version of "Dawn of the Dead" and I am sure it won't be so weird, but ugh..now I am hesitant, but still it's "Dawn" anyway...I'll let you know how the rest of this pans out, but I can't see a remake of this. It would be pointless. I mean it is original and all that, but I don't think it would translate at all with today's movie going public!
Old 05-24-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
OMG!! I am watching this at this moment! Renting because of peeps here...what the hell is this all about. i loved the music (Goblins are alright!) and atmosphere right from the start (airport) and then what the hell happened?? i won't give things away, but just too bizarre to get into...i'm going to muddle through to the end, but might take me awhile, but so far..i dunno!

i have his (Dario Argento) version of "Dawn of the Dead" and I am sure it won't be so weird, but ugh..now I am hesitant, but still it's "Dawn" anyway...I'll let you know how the rest of this pans out, but I can't see a remake of this. It would be pointless. I mean it is original and all that, but I don't think it would translate at all with today's movie going public!
Scott - you're throwing me off with the whole "Dario Argento's version of the Dawn of the Dead" thing (are you talking about Suspiria?).

Sounds like it isn't that good????
Old 05-24-04, 04:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
yes, i am talking about "Suspira" that I am watching now. it is just much more bizarre and pointless than i was prepared for!!

Then I was getting into the hesitation I now have with his version of "Dawn of the Dead" (78) which if you know that history he cut his way after Romero finished with it. It is the shorter, supposedly more violent version, that I believe will be released this Fall in the new box set (again we are talking the original 1978 film) Sorry if I confused!
Old 05-24-04, 04:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Suspiria Remake??

Originally posted by Rival11
I mainly want to know because if there is, I'm NOT going to watch the original until after I see the remake.
Why?
Old 05-24-04, 05:34 PM
Banned by request

scott, do you actually like Italian horror or do you want to like it and fail? Or are you different than the scott who didn't like The Beyond? I always get so confused.

Who would remake this? Why? The style is such an important part of the film that it wouldn't be nearly as good without it, and if you copied it, then there's no point to a remake.
Old 05-24-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
definately one of my favorite horror movies. goblin's work on the music of the movie is just flat out great. annoying to some, great to others. I haven't heard anything about a remake, I hope it isn't true.
Old 05-24-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Suspiria Remake??

Originally posted by DRG
Why?
Yeah, prob. should have mentioned that huh?

Because I want to try things differently this time out - I want to see a remake before the original and then make my comparisons. I'm pretty pumped to (well, IF a remake is coming out) because a lot of people really seem to love this movie and I've heard the word classic brought up plenty
Old 05-24-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
scott, do you actually like Italian horror or do you want to like it and fail? Or are you different than the scott who didn't like The Beyond? I always get so confused.

Who would remake this? Why? The style is such an important part of the film that it wouldn't be nearly as good without it, and if you copied it, then there's no point to a remake.
I'm without a doubt giving Italian horror a chance - I didn't really like the Beyond, but there were a few scary parts in there and a few scenes freaked me out for no reason
Spoiler:
the girl running out of the house...silence, run, silence, run.....just a freaky scene
Old 05-24-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is all the info. I have so far:

Remake
Old 05-24-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dimension has the rights to the film last time I checked.

The problem with a remake is that what made Argento's version brilliantly work is the fact it's 100% "style over substance." There is very little plot, what makes the film work is Argento's vision. Argento takes a simple "nightmare" story and makes the film actually look like someone's nightmare (examples: with the bizarre death scenes and the use of three-strip technicolor film). Argento can't be outdone on this one and any remake will most likely suck. It's not the story that's good in Suspiria, it's the way it's told.

At least with Dawn of the Dead, Gunn and company changed the film from a horror film with elements focusing on action, comedy, and social commentary to an action film with action and comedic elements. How would one change the story telling of Suspiria?
Old 05-24-04, 08:30 PM
MSD

Suspiria is one if not the best horror films ever. No remake can ever begin to touch the greatness of Dario's film.
Old 05-24-04, 09:31 PM

god i thought i was the only one who didn't like this movie. from what i remember the first scene was decent and it quickly went downhill from there.
Old 05-25-04, 01:29 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Dimension has the rights to the film last time I checked.

The problem with a remake is that what made Argento's version brilliantly work is the fact it's 100% "style over substance." There is very little plot, what makes the film work is Argento's vision. Argento takes a simple "nightmare" story and makes the film actually look like someone's nightmare (examples: with the bizarre death scenes and the use of three-strip technicolor film). Argento can't be outdone on this one and any remake will most likely suck. It's not the story that's good in Suspiria, it's the way it's told.

At least with Dawn of the Dead, Gunn and company changed the film from a horror film with elements focusing on action, comedy, and social commentary to an action film with action and comedic elements. How would one change the story telling of Suspiria?
A more verbose version of what I said earlier. But this is the exact problem with a remake of just about any classic Argento film. Most Argento films are just murder mysteries, but he makes with such a unique eye that they come across as new and different. Remaking any of his films would be like making just another generic murder mystery, unless you copied his style exactly, and then there's no point to a remake.
Old 05-25-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love the original...one of my all-time favorite horror films. It's definitley style over substance...but in this case it works. Very basic premise: ballet student terrorized by a coven of witches. The music, sets, and color schemes give it a wonderful dream-like quality.
Old 05-25-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw Suspiria. You know, I didn't think the last ten minutes were as scary as the first 90.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.