DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Shrek 2 TV & Movie References *SPOILERS* (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/365954-shrek-2-tv-movie-references-%2Aspoilers%2A.html)

Shannon Nutt 05-24-04 03:37 PM

Shrek 2 TV & Movie References *SPOILERS*

Thought it would be fun to start a thread to name just how many movie and TV references are made in Shrek 2 (there's a lot!).

Here's the ones I noticed:

Hawaii 5-O
The Little Mermaid
Rawhide
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Zorro
Mission: Impossible
Ghostbusters
Godzilla
E.T.
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Beauty & The Beast
Pretty Woman
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Spider-Man
COPS
Alien

Any more?

LorenzoL 05-24-04 05:11 PM

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- The king "old injury from the Crusade"

movie diva 05-24-04 08:54 PM

From Here to Eternity

Shannon Nutt 05-24-04 09:02 PM

I just noticed I stuck this in the wrong forum...perhaps a mod can move it to the Movie Forum.

cactusoly 05-24-04 10:24 PM

Frankenstein (its alive!)
Titanic

tanman 05-25-04 04:55 AM

Re: Shrek 2 TV & Movie References *SPOILERS*

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Thought it would be fun to start a thread to name just how many movie and TV references are made in Shrek 2 (there's a lot!).

Here's the ones I noticed:

Hawaii 5-O
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Godzilla
E.T.

When were these in the movie?

How about a list of all the Product placement and their respective Far Far Away versions?

Burger King "?"
Starbucks "Farbucks"
Versace "?"
Tower Records "?"
Saks Fifth Avenue "?"

Really Really annoying lady "Joan Rivers"
that thinks she is better then
everybody else and needs to
be beheaded.

Shannon Nutt 05-25-04 05:04 AM

Re: Re: Shrek 2 TV & Movie References *SPOILERS*

Originally posted by tanman
When were these in the movie?
Hawaii 5-O - one of the trumpet players in front of Shrek's house plays the TV series theme.

Beverly Hills Cop 2 - Donkey looking up at the palm trees in Far Far Away is almost a direct copy of Eddie Murphy doing the same thing in Beverly Hills Cop 2 (or maybe it's part 1...I haven't seen the movies in a while)

Godzilla - The Gingerbread Man (the HUGE one) makes the same growling sound Godzilla does when he's walking through Far Far Away.

E.T. - When the Gingerbread man hits the water and is lying there, he looks up and says "Beeeeeeee Gooooooooood!"

Groucho 05-25-04 07:32 AM

Some more that haven't been mentioned:

Blazing Saddles -- "Mongo"

Fawlty Towers -- "The Old Crusades Wound"

The Fabulous Baker Boys -- Fairy Godmother singing on the piano

Orbi-Wan Techno 05-25-04 09:46 AM

It wasn't just Burger King that was spoofed in the fast-food scene(although Prince was wearing the paper crown). It was also Bob's Big Boy/Shoney's (Friar's Big Boy) They had the potbellied statue and everything in the last shot of the scene.

tanman 05-25-04 11:19 AM

Oh yeah the guy playing the piano at the Poison Apple looks exactly like a Chinese (read ripped off) Disney version of Hook.

cungar 05-25-04 11:44 AM

This is Spinal Tap

The Stonehenge poster in the bedroom

Zien 05-25-04 11:52 AM

Batman

I don't remember which character does it, but someone is holding an axe in sillhouette in the moon. The axe looks like the bat symbol. The scene dissolves into a tree, with a bat hanging right where the axe head was. My favorite reference.

Abob Teff 05-25-04 12:27 PM

Here's a few:
<P>Some of the stores were Old Knavery (Old Navy), Saxxon 5th Ave (Sacks 5th Ave), Farbucks (Starbucks). I tried to remember these but now I'm forgetting!
<P>Sanford and Son -- When Donkey falls over after drinking the potion he says "I'm coming for you Elizabeth!"
<P>Back to the first Shrek, Gingerbread Man screams "Not the gumdrop buttons!"
<P>Could the workers in the potion factory be a tip back to the Monsters Inc. cleanup guys?
<P>I can't wait for the DVD now!

Groucho 05-25-04 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Abob Teff
Could the workers in the potion factory be a tip back to the Monsters Inc. cleanup guys?
I got an Oompa Loompa vibe from them myself.

P.S. You don't need to put HTML paragraph breaks in your posts. Just hit enter.

Abob Teff 05-25-04 12:33 PM

Oh yeah . . . Flashdance -- Puss falls back into a chair and pulls a chain to dump water on him.

QuikSilver 05-25-04 03:25 PM

I remember seeing such stores as Gap, Banana Republic and Armani Exchange being spoofed.

tanman 05-26-04 03:02 AM

Versace "Versarchery"
Abercrombie and Fitch "?"

You can see a lot of them on the Shrek Website.

Qui Gon Jim 05-26-04 08:10 AM

The LOTR reference with the wedding ring...

AgtFox 05-26-04 09:51 AM

You forgot the reference to Garfield when Puss says, "I hate Mondays"

squidget 05-26-04 11:13 AM

the name of the potion was
love potion IX
so that could be a song or a movie reference

bluntman72 05-26-04 11:43 AM

I remember seeing A/A for Armani Exchange instead of A/X but I did not get the full name.

Also on the episode of the Cops spoof "Knights" I believe they were referencing the O.J. chase when they were chasing the guy on the White Bronco.

Abob Teff 05-26-04 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I got an Oompa Loompa vibe from them myself.

P.S. You don't need to put HTML paragraph breaks in your posts. Just hit enter.

Look at the design, a clean suit with just one "opening" in the face shield.

I like my HTML breaks . . . a long time ago I thought I had to do them! (I caught myself typing an e-mail last night and putting them in.) Fine, I'll try it your way . . .

tanman 05-26-04 12:55 PM

Originally posted by bluntman72

Also on the episode of the Cops spoof "Knights" I believe they were referencing the O.J. chase when they were chasing the guy on the White Bronco.

Oh yeah, I thought that was very clever.

Sammy Jo 05-27-04 09:25 PM

Saw it again last night, was taking my friends to see it but I didn't mind watching it a second time. :)

Only store/restaurant spoof I caught that hasn't been listed here is Baskin Robbins.

There's a part where Donkey says, "I don't wanna die! I don't wanna die!!" at some point during the potion drinking sequence. It sounds SO familiar, is there another time Eddie Murphey said that as another character in a different (Disney?) movie, or was it perhaps from the first Shrek? I know I've heard him say that line before, and exactly as he said it in Shrek 2. Been driving me nuts.

FiveO 05-30-04 08:25 PM

The COPS spoof was hilarious.

Pepper in the eyes and everything.

I was laughing out loud. Can't wait to see it again.