Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter 3 thoughts

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Harry Potter 3 thoughts

Old 06-21-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
It's sad to see this running out of steam so fast. Based on this past weekend's box-office report, it'll probably will top off around 240-250 million. Spectacular numbers for sure. But falls short of the first two. And this one deserves that kind of business if not more IMO. Such a great film.
Old 06-21-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Daytripper
It's sad to see this running out of steam so fast. Based on this past weekend's box-office report, it'll probably will top off around 240-250 million. Spectacular numbers for sure. But falls short of the first two. And this one deserves that kind of business if not more IMO. Such a great film.

It is such a shame! However, what you need to take into account:

1.) Different Release Date.
2.)The magic isn't as new, and some people aren't seeing it twice.

I agree with you! This movie should have made more, it is an excellent Harry Potter movie! You got to love those kids!
Old 06-21-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled this link off of mugglenet, it cracked me up. It's a quick summary of the movie and it's full of spoilers (some are book-related so if you haven't read the book and watched the movie you may want to avoid reading it).

http://www.livejournal.com/community...l?thread=39101

I hope will get some good deleted scenes when the dvd comes out. I would really like to see more of it.
Old 06-22-04, 10:05 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
It is such a shame! However, what you need to take into account:

1.) Different Release Date.
2.)The magic isn't as new, and some people aren't seeing it twice.
3) Shrek 2, and soon Spiderman 2, pulling away a lot of the repeat kid audience.
Old 09-22-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Philip Reuben
I agree that the rules of the game place way too much importance on that one player trying to catch that one ball, but you're wrong that the rest of the game is irrelevant. The other players have the chance to rack up a LOT of points, and if your team is more than 150 points down, catching the snitch means you automatically lose.
I had to dredge this up because I've actually started reading the first book, and now it becomes a BIT clearer.

The movies state that the team that catches the snitch automatically wins...period. That makes no damn sense because it makes the rest of the game irrelevant.

The book, however, states that the team that catches the snitch gets 150 points, AND that the game does not end until the snitch is caught. That makes a LOT more sense. Yet...

Why would you, as a seeker, catch the snitch if your team is more than 150 points down?
Old 09-22-04, 02:16 PM
Retired

Originally posted by shill66

Why would you, as a seeker, catch the snitch if your team is more than 150 points down?
In that case, you would go on the defensive and try to keep the other teams seeker from catching the snitch and ending the game, hoping your team woulc get back within 150.
Old 09-22-04, 04:05 PM
Uber Member

Quiddich has a World Cup, and, therefore, rankings. Just because you lose one game doesn't mean you lose the season. You'd still want to get the snitch if you were 200 pts down because that way you cut your loss to 50 points. Moreover, if the other team gets the snitch, you'll be down 350 points.

In other words, it's not just about the single game, but about winning the season.

Also, they do state, at the beginning of the first Quiddich game in the first movie, that if you get the Snitch you get 150 points. When Oliver Wood says if you catch the snitch we win the game to Harry, he's not technically correct, but I get the feeling that teams being down 150 pts isn't that common.

A better question is the World Cup game in book 4:
Spoiler:
One team is down by over 150 points but still goes for the snitch to end the game. I'm guessing that the reason was that they were unsure if they could get the score back in their favor, and letting the snitch go meant the other team would have a chance to get it and make the loss even worse. Better to lose by 20 points than 320, so to speak.
Old 09-23-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Blade

A better question is the World Cup game in book 4:
Spoiler:
One team is down by over 150 points but still goes for the snitch to end the game. I'm guessing that the reason was that they were unsure if they could get the score back in their favor, and letting the snitch go meant the other team would have a chance to get it and make the loss even worse. Better to lose by 20 points than 320, so to speak.
They mention this in the book.
Spoiler:
Essentially, Ireland was better than Bulgaria, so Krum "wanted to end the game on his own terms" is the quote I believe.
Old 09-23-04, 06:22 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by silentbob007
They mention this in the book.
Spoiler:
Essentially, Ireland was better than Bulgaria, so Krum "wanted to end the game on his own terms" is the quote I believe.
That sort of ties into one of my guess as to the reason behind his action, but your quote was one of the character's speculating on Krum's thinking as opposed to Krum (or someone else in a position to know) actually saying why he did it.

That reason did make the most sense, but it leaves it open to arguments one way or the other...hence my citing it as a good source of debate about how Quidditch is played as regards the snitch.
Old 09-24-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I fully understand now. The other thing that finally clicked into place is that the points gained in the game apply to the house's point tally for the school year, which I didn't know before. I can therefore understand why someone would still want to catch the snitch even though it would mean a loss - it still means 150 points in one instant.
Old 07-15-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's a little resurrection for you...

So I just rewatched this last night and I noticed that Alfonso Cuaron decided to replace one of the two actors playing Crabbe and Goyle - Goyle, I believe - for most of the scenes with Malfoy. The old actor appears in one shot, but in other shots, the actor was replaced.

Anybody know why this is? (Has this already been covered? I'm kinda reluctant to reread all 330-some posts just to find out.)
-ringding-