DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Stepford Wives (2004) question (POSSIBLE SPOILERS) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/365758-stepford-wives-2004-question-possible-spoilers.html)

Dr. DVD 05-23-04 11:35 AM

Stepford Wives (2004) question (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

I hesitated to post the spoilers warning as almost everyone knows that the wives are robots. My question is regarding Nicole Kidman's character.

Anyone who has seen the original knows that her character doesn't get replaced until the final frame. However, it seems the TV ads and teaser posters are advertising two totally different stories. The previews make it look like her character is human throughout the movie, but both the original teaser and a lot of posters and publicity photos seem to prominently feature the ditzy robot, who is only glimpsed in the preview.
I was wondering if the previews might only be showing the bare minimum for the movie or if the photos and posters are showing a lot of the ending. Just curious.

wm lopez 05-23-04 04:05 PM

All lot of the remakes that have been done today do change alot of the key points of the original movie.
Remember Planet of the Apes?

Matthew Chmiel 05-23-04 04:09 PM

I thought Nicole Kidman as a "cute, but ditzy robot" was just to get people in the theater. The new film resembles more of the "comedic" humor that was displayed in the novel more than the "serious" tones of the novel that were put on display in the '70s film.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

LiquidSky 06-04-04 07:48 AM

I'm a huge fan of the original but I want to see this one out of curiosity. One thing I noticed: the "human" Nicole's hairstyle is a copy of Paula Prentiss' hair in the original (dark, short).

mookyman 06-04-04 08:52 AM

I have a professor who is an assistant editor on the film. He says the marketing has been a mess, that the producer (Scott Rudin) wants to emphazise the camp (hence the blonde Nicole Kidman ads), where the director (Frank Oz) wants the film marketed in the other direction, as a dark comedy. On a positive note, my professor did say that, while the making of the film has been chaotic, he has seen a lot of really great material. Here's hoping.

Dr. DVD 06-08-04 07:27 PM

Any word as to how the film works in contrast to the original? I don't mind being spoiled. ;)

scott shelton 06-09-04 03:09 PM

Originally posted by mookyman
I have a professor who is an assistant editor on the film. He says the marketing has been a mess, that the producer (Scott Rudin) wants to emphazise the camp (hence the blonde Nicole Kidman ads), where the director (Frank Oz) wants the film marketed in the other direction, as a dark comedy. On a positive note, my professor did say that, while the making of the film has been chaotic, he has seen a lot of really great material. Here's hoping.
AllI know is, the crowd I saw the film with last week really ate it up.

I didn't care for the movie much - way too campy in that ugly way that can only come from the poisoned keyboard of Paul Rudnick.

It's a Diet Coke movie for audiences just glad to be out of the house. Nothing more.

Dr. DVD 06-09-04 03:29 PM

So you didn't like it but the crowd did.

At what point does the ditzy robot Kidman show up?

Also, what did Paul Rudnick write aside from this that makes him "poison."

Matthew Chmiel 06-09-04 04:01 PM

Marci X? Isn't She Great? Jeffrey (okay, that one is not that bad)?

I did like In & Out and Addams Family Values through. :)

Dr. DVD 06-09-04 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Marci X? Isn't She Great? Jeffrey (okay, that one is not that bad)?

I did like In & Out and Addams Family Values through. :)

I liked In & Out; he an Oz seem to have a good knack for dark comedy.

scott shelton 06-09-04 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
So you didn't like it but the crowd did.

At what point does the ditzy robot Kidman show up?

1) "The Crowd" laughed often in the first 45 minutes. But that's what "Crowds" do.

2) Stepford Kidman shows up in the last 10 minutes.

3) What Matthew said.

They should've run Rudnick's ass out of Hollywood after MARCI X... But that's another thread.

Matthew Chmiel 06-09-04 04:49 PM

2) Stepford Kidman shows up in the last 10 minutes.
Well I guess someone should change the title of this thread to (SPOILERS). :)

1) "The Crowd" laughed often in the first 45 minutes. But that's what "Crowds" do.
Did the crowd stop laughing after the 46th minute of the movie? ;)

Dr. DVD 06-09-04 06:21 PM

Originally posted by scott shelton
12) Stepford Kidman shows up in the last 10 minutes.

Dang. I wanted more of her. :(

SMB-IL 06-19-04 11:15 AM

Re: Stepford Wives (2004) question (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I hesitated to post the spoilers warning as almost everyone knows that the wives are robots. My question is regarding Nicole Kidman's character.

Anyone who has seen the original knows that her character doesn't get replaced until the final frame. However, it seems the TV ads and teaser posters are advertising two totally different stories. The previews make it look like her character is human throughout the movie, but both the original teaser and a lot of posters and publicity photos seem to prominently feature the ditzy robot, who is only glimpsed in the preview.
I was wondering if the previews might only be showing the bare minimum for the movie or if the photos and posters are showing a lot of the ending. Just curious.

DEFINITE SPOILER HERE:
Spoiler:
She never becomes a robot. At the point where she would, her husband (Broderick) can't go through with it and she fakes a robotic self to, I think, catch the one who's doing the robotic creations. For the life of me, I can't remember why (and I just saw it yesterday!) because the movie just starts to fall apart about half way through.