DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Eddie Murphy, will he ever do another movie worth a crap? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/365730-eddie-murphy-will-he-ever-do-another-movie-worth-crap.html)

Bacon 05-23-04 04:14 AM

Eddie Murphy, will he ever do another movie worth a crap?

I vote no :( A "clean" Eddie is an unfunny Eddie.

Giantrobo 05-23-04 04:53 AM

I have found many of Eddie's movies funny over the last few years.

Jackskeleton 05-23-04 06:16 AM

Shrek 2 was a good use of Eddie in a non crude manner.

cruzness 05-23-04 07:41 AM

Not until his kids are all over 18.....but by then he will have become Bill Cosby.(not that the great and powerful Cos is unfunnny - he is still hilarious - but he makes crap films)

Big Quasimodo 05-23-04 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Shrek 2 was a good use of Eddie in a non crude manner.
Shrek too.

Other than that, Bowfinger (1999) was the last one I liked.....

matome 05-23-04 07:50 AM

Yep, great in the Shreks and Bowfingers, but that's about it in the last 15 years or so.

Groucho 05-23-04 09:50 AM

He just did one that came out last weekend.

Jericho 05-23-04 10:00 AM

I don't want him to say any filth flarn filth flarn filth

scott shelton 05-23-04 10:09 AM

Murphy is hilarious, but where's the incentive to stop making family films?

The DOLITTLEs and DADDY DAY CARE did big money, while his I SPY and SHOWTIME failed to attract audiences.

Until his family film output starts drying up, I wouldn't expect him to stop anytime soon.

bsktballDude1 05-23-04 11:19 AM

I agree his live action movies of late have not been good, but his work for the Shrek movies as Donkey have been great and hysterically funny.

MasterCXtreme 05-23-04 11:30 AM

I enjoyed Showtime, Bowfinger, and really liked The Nutty Professor.

Rival11 05-23-04 12:04 PM

Re: Eddie Murphy, will he ever do another movie worth a crap?

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
I vote no :( A "clean" Eddie is an unfunny Eddie.
I agree, he has taken the deniro route of just "collecting" now.....makes sense though, they were both in a movie together..................showtime :yack:

DVDho78DTS 05-23-04 12:23 PM

His next film is Daddy Day Camp. Guess that won't make many very happy.

cupon 05-23-04 04:11 PM

Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
His next film is Daddy Day Camp. Guess that won't make many very happy.
That's the final straw. I'm moving on.

Rammsteinfan 05-23-04 04:16 PM

He is awesome in Shrek 1/2. I enjoyed him in haunted mansion for what it was worth. I miss the Coming to America, BHC, Golden Child/Raw/etc age of Eddie. Oh well, I guess those days are over. Which is cool, he had his time and now he can let some other young comedians take over.

Matthew Chmiel 05-23-04 04:18 PM

Which is cool, he had his time and now he can let some other young comedians take over.
Exactly. Let's give Charlie Murphy the good roles that Eddie Murphy doesn't want.

Darkfriend 05-23-04 08:06 PM

Eddie said on Oprah (yeah I was channel surfing!!) that he did not miss his "stand-up" comedy days that much. He said he wanted to focus on his wife and kids; nothing wrong with that but boy do I miss the "Delirious" and "Raw" days!!

devilshalo 05-23-04 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Darkfriend
Eddie said on Oprah (yeah I was channel surfing!!) that he did not miss his "stand-up" comedy days that much. He said he wanted to focus on his wife and kids; nothing wrong with that but boy do I miss the "Delirious" and "Raw" days!!
I'm still waiting for those to be on DVD so I can ditch my VHS copies.

I happened to like Daddy Day Care.

jaeufraser 05-23-04 11:50 PM

I doubt Murphy will return to his old comic days. While I do miss that Eddie Murphy, it's not like his talent isn't still relevant. While many of his movies are a miss, there's no doubt that even in family movies Murphy can be extremely entertaining and is still very talented. granted...I wish he'd pick better projects.

asianxcore 05-23-04 11:50 PM

I would have to say no. I miss the days of Beverly Hills Cop. I still love that movie.