Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Disturbing Movies, Film, and Cinema Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Disturbing Movies, Film, and Cinema Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 01:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just realized, where's Female Trouble and Desperate Living? If Pink Flamingos is on there, those should be as well.

Some more:

Don't Look Now
The Omen
Death and the Maiden
Dead or Alive Final (if Dead or Alive 1 is on there, Final should definitely be on there)
Shock Corridor
Aguirre, The Wrath of God (I can't believe I didn't mention this earlier)
Old 05-25-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
actually in all fairness I should attribute you sundog, for talking about this movie, the plot and premise sounded really sick. Visions here in DC is doing this "Truly Shocking" film showcase, with this, "Twentynine Palms' 'The Isle" and 'Love Object' so.... kudo's to you my friend for imparting this film - it will be added to my Films of 2004 list in two weeks from now.
Ah, so check out the movie and see if you want to thank me afterwards. Love Object played in Chicago for a week. Sounded interesting, but it looked so dirty and low-rent I let it come and go.

And add Las Hurdes (Land Without Bread), Luis Bunuel's searing 1933 documentary about the Hurdanos, a primitive group living in horrendous conditions in a near-wasteland area in Franco-era Spain.
Old 05-25-04, 09:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by sundog
Ah, so check out the movie and see if you want to thank me afterwards. Love Object played in Chicago for a week. Sounded interesting, but it looked so dirty and low-rent I let it come and go.

And add Las Hurdes (Land Without Bread), Luis Bunuel's searing 1933 documentary about the Hurdanos, a primitive group living in horrendous conditions in a near-wasteland area in Franco-era Spain.
as you probably noticed I finally saw Bunuel's 'Los Olividados' and I was very impressed - the film's nasty and mean tone was a predominent subtle undertone throughout the entire film.
Old 05-25-04, 12:05 PM

as you probably noticed I finally saw Bunuel's 'Los Olividados' and I was very impressed - the film's nasty and mean tone was a predominent subtle undertone throughout the entire film.
Indeed, glad you liked it. It's amazing how evenhanded Bunuel can regard his characters no matter how despicable they act. He does not judge them. Laughs at them, yes, but does not judge.
Old 05-26-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Smurf, good of you to consolidate all the others into the ne plus ultra of "disturbing films" threads; I was getting tired of repeating myself.

Another submission that just came to mind is the extremely grim doc about serial killers and their ilk, The Killing of America (1981). If I think of any others that are not on your master list, I'll contribute them.
Old 05-26-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of the first ones I thought of, all were on the original list except:

Tim Roth's The War Zone.
Old 05-26-04, 04:39 AM

Her name was Osama (something like this, afghan movie)
Old 05-26-04, 09:28 AM

saw this film on the shelf at the video store, it looked kind of gnarly:

Hell's Highway - The True Story of Highway Safety Films

Saw last night a film by Korean director Ki-duk Kim of 'Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring' fame entitled The Isle - needless to say I shouldn't have eaten a burrito before seeing this movie. S&M, animal cruelity and fishhooks - it wasn't pleasant.

DVDSmurf: Haute Tension and Switchblade Romance are the same movie

'In a Glass Cage's' Agustín Villaronga's 2000 film El Mar while no where as extreme as 'Glass Cage' also adds graphic violence, child murder and sem-explicit sex to a equally depraved tale.

Ebola Syndrome - rape, gore, and mean spirited, this one makes you want to take a shower after seeing it.

The Child I Never Was is a German film exploring child pedophilia is grim, unflinching and ultra-discomforting.

Although having not see this film, I remember reading that
Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist is a film for the strong stomached.

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Fat Girl (French Title: À ma soeur!)

heard that Claire Denis' Trouble Every Day is out there and pretty bloody

Germany's answer to 'Seven': Tattoo

L.I.E
Old 05-26-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Prince of Darkness (John Carpenter)

It may be a horror flick but there are some damn disturbing parts in this movie.

Prince of Darkness
Old 05-27-04, 08:16 AM

Chuck & Buck - this movie seriousily weirded me out, the whole repressed gay-love stalker stuff - whaaa!

DVDSmurf: why didn't you include The Isle in the list?

Last edited by Giles; 05-27-04 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-28-04, 11:13 AM

DVDSmurf: why didn't you include The Isle in the list?
Sorry, I must have missed this, I will correct it when I get home from work tonight...

I will also add some more from friend who emailed me a list as well.

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 05-29-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I just realized, where's Female Trouble and Desperate Living? If Pink Flamingos is on there, those should be as well.

Some more:

Don't Look Now
The Omen
Death and the Maiden
Dead or Alive Final (if Dead or Alive 1 is on there, Final should definitely be on there)
Shock Corridor
Aguirre, The Wrath of God (I can't believe I didn't mention this earlier)
Good call with the Omen - not only disturbing, but very freaky
Old 06-03-04, 09:04 AM

Need more recommendations for the list...
Old 06-03-04, 09:34 AM

GODS MUST BE CRAZY
BARAKA
TRUE STORIES

... okay

If you gonna include films like that you might as well include disquieting films like:

"George Washington"
"Ratcatcher"
"Los Olivadados"

Even though I haven't seen this film, it's reputation and notoriety precedes it, you have to also include "Entrails of A Virgin"

Question: has anyone here seen the 2001 film F**k the Disabled: The Surprising Adventures of Greg Walloch

Last edited by Giles; 06-03-04 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 11:16 AM

... okay

[/B]
GODS MUST BE CRAZY - agree that this wasn't very disturbing in any Western sense, but viewing from a tribal perspective it is a socially disturbing event.

I am letting this be on the list as someone else added it to the list, but if I get more complaints about the film I am willing to remove it.

BARAKA - have not seen.
TRUE STORIES - have not seen.

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 06-03-04, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Death Becomes Her
Mommie Dearest
Moulin Rouge
(Baz Luhrmann's fiasco - it's so bad, it's disturbing!)
Vertigo
What Lies Beneath

Last edited by baracine; 06-10-04 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 04:34 PM

now that I saw this afternoon, you can add Satoshi Kon's anime feature: Perfect Blue - talk about riveting, gory, and out there. Ace.
Old 06-03-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
From German director Jorg Buttgereit (Nekromantik 1&2) you could also add: Schramm and Der Todesking (The Death King)
Old 06-04-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Polanski's grisly version of Macbeth is the most nihilistic Shakespeare adaptation ever. It's my favorite Polanski film, actually.

Almost anything by Catherine Breillat could go on the list, but I didn't see Une Vraie Jeune Fille aka A Real Young Girl. Any film featuring 14 year olds being molested with worms would deserve to be on this list, I think.

And while we're on the topic of messed up French films, you might want to add Mauvaises Fréquentations aka Bad Company, and what, no Baise-moi?

Okay, the more I think about it the more I come up with. So I'm just going to stop when I get to 7.

A Good Lawyer's Wife
Sweet Movie
Andy Warhol's Flesh
Andy Warhol's Trash
Andy Warhol's Heat
Happy End
Forbidden Zone

Ah, screw it. Safe, Andrei Rublev, Through A Glass Darkly, Vengeance Is Mine, Graveyard of Honor, Threads, The Cremaster Cycle, Series 7, Bitter Moon, City of God, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Last Tango in Paris.

Last edited by ehonauer; 06-04-04 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-04-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Ken Russel's Crimes of Passion
Dario Argento's The Stendhal Syndrome
Old 06-04-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I can't remember the actual title, but I remember reading about a foreign art film gone horribly wrong that was given the affectionate nickname of "The Pig-f**king Movie". I'll have to dig up an old issue of Shock Cinema to get the real title. Haven't seen the film myself (the description of the film was enough for me).
Old 06-05-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boxing Helena
Old 06-06-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are all the movies mentioned in the linked threads in the first post listed in that post?

Yesterday someone recommended Santa Sangre to me, which I had never heard of, and stumbled upon this thread which I didn't see linked. I believe there were a few titles in that thread that would be new to your list.

The Italian horror thread also has a couple movies not listed I think.

Some additions:

Altered States
Closet Land
Dellamorte Dellamore
Rapture, The
Thirteen Ghosts

St. John's Wort (never seen, based on someone else mentioning it)
The 4th Man (never seen, based on someone else mentioning it)
Twist and Shout (never seen, based on someone else mentioning it)
Old 06-06-04, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by abintra

St. John's Wort (never seen, based on someone else mentioning it)
The 4th Man (never seen, based on someone else mentioning it)
St. John's Wort - 7/10, this is an interesting horror film in a computer game perspective.
4th Man - 7/10, suspenseful and is built up around some moral taboo's and Catholicism. Remember read the signs.
Old 06-08-04, 09:12 AM

wow, just watched the director's cut of Addio Zio Tom (Goodbye Uncle Tom) and have to say I think this film literally offends everyone - African American, Whites, Women's Rights, Homosexuals, Europeans, religion. Sans, Tinto Brass'/Bob Guccione's Caligula I haven't seen an exploitation film with this much attention to detail (over excessiveness). One can see why the bulk of this movie was shot in Haiti, the NAACP and the hundreds of extras would have screamed bloody murder on what they were supposed to depict on-screen. The copious amount of nudity, graphic rape and violence would have definately been eviscerated by the MPAA if this film were submitted for a rating. What is interesting when comparing the Director's cut with the English language theatrical cut, is the amount of back history and specifically how and why certain events occured. The deletion of this footage makes the English language more exploitative. Interestingly, there is footage that is in the English language version that isn't in the longer DC of the of film and vice versa - some of a more graphic nature. The longer cut of the film is also dubbed into Italian, so the use of the offensive "N" word is less evident Ultimately, though the DC of the film is the version to see, since the voice over narrator adds the necessary impact and resonates the director's intention of the film's message.

Originally posted by ehonauer
Polanski's grisly version of Macbeth is the most nihilistic Shakespeare adaptation ever. It's my favorite Polanski film, actually.

Almost anything by Catherine Breillat could go on the list, but I didn't see Une Vraie Jeune Fille aka A Real Young Girl. Any film featuring 14 year olds being molested with worms would deserve to be on this list, I think.

And while we're on the topic of messed up French films, you might want to add Mauvaises Fréquentations aka Bad Company, and what, no Baise-moi?

Okay, the more I think about it the more I come up with. So I'm just going to stop when I get to 7.

A Good Lawyer's Wife
Sweet Movie
Andy Warhol's Flesh
Andy Warhol's Trash
Andy Warhol's Heat
Happy End
Forbidden Zone

Ah, screw it. Safe, Andrei Rublev, Through A Glass Darkly, Vengeance Is Mine, Graveyard of Honor, Threads, The Cremaster Cycle, Series 7, Bitter Moon, City of God, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Last Tango in Paris.
Sweet Movie was depraved.

The Cremaster Cycle definately ranks up there with some visually distressing imagery.

Last edited by Giles; 06-08-04 at 09:20 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.