Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Funny SW Ep 3 article on MSNBC

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, if this has been mentioned already, my apologies.
Second, let me just put on my flame-suit:

[FLAMESUIT]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4980465/

Pretty damn funny.
[/FLAMESUIT]
Old 05-21-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea I read that this morning. It was pretty funny. But it's NOT funny to bash lucas at this forum....I think DVDtalk is just as bad as Disney with censoring

Oh well. It was a funny article. Crossing figures epiii is good.
Old 05-21-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know what's sad? There's a small part of me that is hoping that Ep 3 will be the rebound movie. It's going to make up for 1 & 2. But somehow, I don't think so...

I didn't create this thread to bash GL, but now that I think about it, why not???

Luca$ has become a horrible filmmaker! There, I feel better already!
Old 05-21-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's the best article I've read on star wars. I agree with it 100%. It's so sad and so true.
Old 05-21-04, 03:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, it was so-so. I think the author was too busy tring to be funny to really make any compelling arguments, but it wasn't really funny so it didn't work as a comedy piece either. I agree with some of the complaints (mainly about Lucas stepping down as a director, and Lucas should hand his story treatment over to a better screenwriter). But he either offers no solutions (he talks about firing Hayden & Natalie but doesn't offer any suggestions for replacements) or he offers unfunny 'comedy' suggestions (Ed Wood? C'mon, the last drop of humor was squeezed out of that subject when Tim Burton made his biopic ten years ago).
Old 05-21-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I really don't get all the Lucas bashing. I really liked the original trilogy and really like the prequels as well. I think they are basically on par with the original trilogy. I think people did a little too much hero worship with the original trilogy. It seems like they think that the original trilogy is the ultimate example of movie making briliance. I thought they were good movies but still had many flaws. The prequels have equally good and bad points IMHO. He's not a god but he's not the antichrist either.

But the article was funny.
Old 05-21-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DRG
Hmm, it was so-so. I think the author was too busy tring to be funny to really make any compelling arguments, but it wasn't really funny so it didn't work as a comedy piece either. I agree with some of the complaints (mainly about Lucas stepping down as a director, and Lucas should hand his story treatment over to a better screenwriter). But he either offers no solutions (he talks about firing Hayden & Natalie but doesn't offer any suggestions for replacements) or he offers unfunny 'comedy' suggestions (Ed Wood? C'mon, the last drop of humor was squeezed out of that subject when Tim Burton made his biopic ten years ago).
Ok, I grant you that it wasn't hilarious, but I found it entertaining. It reminded me of a DVDTalk'er rambling about how Luca$ eats babies, etc. But I think in his attempt at humor, he still hits on some valid points: Hayden is *BAD*, Ewan & Samuel are doing the best they can with weak scripts, and GL's directorial skills seem to have disappeared.
Old 05-21-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why are children so bent out of shape over these movies, that they are obsessed with somebody else making them, etc? They're George Lucas' movies, and if you don't like them, grow up and move on with your life. No sense in parading how it would've been better on condition A or condition B, because that can be said of ANY movie.

Example: I loved The Matrix, but thought the sequels were rancid, pre-pubescent and self-masturbatory. I gave my opinions during their release and have since moved on. Not once did I think, "Man, if they had gotten Darren Aronofsky to direct those, that'd shit be off the hook!" or "If they would've cast somebody attractive in the role of Trinity.." or other such nonsense, because the Wachoski brothers made the movies they wanted to make (or were pressured to make by the studio after the success of the first) and it's over.

Oh well.. my 2 cents on the whole Star Wars thing, continue your bashing..
Old 05-21-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think the article was funny.....by the way. I posted while reading it and didn't realize that he was going to try to comedy it up for the whole thing. I was just glad to see someone say that it's Lucas' fault the prequels are ruined. And, no, it's not a big deal to me, but if you're gonna do something, you might as well do it right. It's not like people are divided over the issue.
Old 05-21-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dick_grayson
Don't get me wrong, I didn't think the article was funny.....by the way. I posted while reading it and didn't realize that he was going to try to comedy it up for the whole thing. I was just glad to see someone say that it's Lucas' fault the prequels are ruined. And, no, it's not a big deal to me, but if you're gonna do something, you might as well do it right. It's not like people are divided over the issue.
That the prequels were "ruined" is only an opinion.

That the prequels are how they are because of Lucas is a fact, but nobody has ever said otherwise.

I'm sure if you asked George Lucas, he'd tell you he did the movies right.. and if people weren't exactly divided over the issue, care to explain the box office and home video success of both prequels thus far? Does that success make them good movies? No, but it certainly shows that many people enjoyed them enough to watch and own them.
Old 05-21-04, 03:42 PM

I don't understand the problem with the new trilogy. Look, nobody was a bigger fan than me as a kid of the originals. I wore out 3 copies of each vhs tape and owned damn near every toy in the star wars universe. But if I watch them now, Star Wars is very slow moving and dull. The first hour is almost unwatchable it is so dull. Empire is good and Return of the Jedi is a cheese festival with some of the worst acting (Harrison Ford included) in any major movie.

So why don't you all just realize that you are 25 years older now and the new movies aren't going to have the same appeal as the old ones did. In fact, they are not even targeted to you anymore. They are looking for a younger audience.
Old 05-21-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

they were successful based on the phenomenon of Star Wars. I bet everyone who posts negative things about Lucas will still go see the movie. The fact that it makes money doesn't mean anything. I own the prequels on DVD, also. They are certainly worth watching (and even owning), but I think you missed my point. They are missing the magic of the original stories and to make prequels that are not honest to the originals is wrong. I think ruined is a dicey word, but stand by it. He ruined the magic of the phenomenon.
Old 05-21-04, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tanman
I really liked the original trilogy and really like the prequels as well. I think they are basically on par with the original trilogy.
You've got to be kidding me. You're living in denial, my friend.
Old 05-21-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's funny, but Rivero mentions something that I can't understand:

What makes SW fans and Matrix fans so close-minded to the possibility that the sequels suck?!? Ep's 1 & 2 are PLAIN BAD and Matrix 2 & 3 are HORRIBLE. But it seems that it's a rule: If you like the first Matrix, the 2nd and 3rd movies are great too - even if they suck.
Old 05-21-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not close minded. I really like the Star Wars prequels but hate the Matrix sequels.
I judge each movie on it's own merit and entertainment value.
Old 05-21-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I'm not close minded. I really like the Star Wars prequels but hate the Matrix sequels.
I judge each movie on it's own merit and entertainment value.
Pixy, you mean you like the prequels kind of how I like "Plan 9 from Outer Space" and "Manos the Hands of Fate", right?
Old 05-21-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by modfather

What makes SW fans and Matrix fans so close-minded to the possibility that the sequels suck?!? Ep's 1 & 2 are PLAIN BAD and Matrix 2 & 3 are HORRIBLE. But it seems that it's a rule: If you like the first Matrix, the 2nd and 3rd movies are great too - even if they suck.
There are two sides to the coin. I think people like you are closed minded before you walk in the theater and when the film doesn't play out like YOU want it to, you bash it on the internet. Personally I enjoyed all 4 films you mention, but despise other popular crap like ID4 and MIB.

That being said, I think the 2 prequels have their high and low points. Just like the OT. But the lowest has to be the midichlorians. Even more than Jar-Jar. Just takes away from the magic that is "the force." Now it seems it is just a medical condition. While GL is doing all these changes, he should go back and escise that from existence. Kinda like the other planet thing in Highlander 2. Just forget it ever happened.
Old 05-21-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pixy, you mean you like the prequels kind of how I like "Plan 9 from Outer Space" and "Manos the Hands of Fate", right?
No.
Old 05-21-04, 05:45 PM

I'm not close-minded either. I like the Matrix sequels but don't care for the Star Wars prequels (thus far). I wish people would stop assuming that their opinion is objective fact, and that anyone who disagrees is flat-out wrong or in denial. Some people who like allegedly inferior sequels might be in denial, and some people who dislike those same sequels might have had absolutely unrealistic expectations--but I think the majority of people have their opinion, and that's okay.
Old 05-21-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
^^ Exactly. I hate reading that anyone who enjoys the Matrix sequels are complete morons and didn't see the same movie as everyone else.. blah, blah, blah. Opinions. Everyone has one. Unless you are a fan of Wing Commander then you are a complete moron.
Old 05-21-04, 05:50 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny article, I think Portman and McGregor are perfect for their parts.
Old 05-21-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh, potato, po-tah-to. What makes jackolytes like him close minded to the fact that some people actually LIKE these movies? That just because THEY don't like it, that's the final word. When did that happen? He and countless others seem to be really bothered by the fact that there ARE people who do that they need to shove that opinion down the throats of those who don't share it.
Old 05-22-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
You've got to be kidding me. You're living in denial, my friend.
And you are living in the 70's/80's.

Yes I think ESB was the best in the series...
Yes I think for the most part that the Special Editions suck...
Yes I think Jar Jar is annoying...
Yes I think Jake Loyd is one of the worst kid actors ever...
Yes I think that midichlorians should never have been uttered...

And maybe Lucas used comp gen too much but come on. You really think the Rancor looks so much better as a puppet?

Basically I enjoy Star Wars. I like getting swept up in this fantasy set in space. There are a lot of low points in each one but I enjoy them and that is enough for me.
Old 05-22-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually like both Ep I and II More than Return of the Jedi. I thought The Phantom Menance dragged a little in the middle, but was actually a good movie for the most part. It is the first chapter in a 6 movie chapter. Episode II was better than Return of the Jedi as well. I'd rank them as:

ANH
ESB
AOTC
TPM
ROTJ

I actually think they are all good, and it doesn't mean I'm stupid or living in denial. The fact is, that is my opinion. From what I am reading about episode III, I think it might be the best one of the 6. I'm looking forward to seeing the creation of vader, the empire get created, etc.
Old 05-22-04, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Why are children so bent out of shape over these movies, that they are obsessed with somebody else making them, etc? They're George Lucas' movies, and if you don't like them, grow up and move on with your life. No sense in parading how it would've been better on condition A or condition B, because that can be said of ANY movie.

Example: I loved The Matrix, but thought the sequels were rancid, pre-pubescent and self-masturbatory. I gave my opinions during their release and have since moved on. Not once did I think, "Man, if they had gotten Darren Aronofsky to direct those, that'd shit be off the hook!" or "If they would've cast somebody attractive in the role of Trinity.." or other such nonsense, because the Wachoski brothers made the movies they wanted to make (or were pressured to make by the studio after the success of the first) and it's over.
The other thing I dont get is how the forum rules for thread crapping seem to vanish any time Star Wars or anything Lucas related (see the THX re-release thread) is even mentioned. Any other time and the rules are pretty ridged. Yet Star Wars is open season.

People need to get a life and move on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.