DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Actors hyped as the next big thing after ONE Movie but who died off just as fast (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/365409-actors-hyped-next-big-thing-after-one-movie-but-who-died-off-just-fast.html)

Original Desmond 05-21-04 06:45 AM

Actors hyped as the next big thing after ONE Movie but who died off just as fast

Actors/Actresses hyped as the next big thing after ONE Movie but whose Careers died off just as fast

for me Piper Perabo after Coyote Ugly springs to mind

Groucho 05-21-04 06:56 AM

She already has her own thread about it, but Kate Hudson after Almost Famous.

raven56706 05-21-04 07:55 AM

Vin diesel.......

Chris Klein.....

James Van Der Beek

Rivero 05-21-04 08:54 AM

Vin Diesel.......

...was gonna be the next Schwarzenegger.......

......most convincing performance is the voice of a robot in The Iron Giant....

....I hear his next role will be the biopic of Right Said Fred......

Groucho 05-21-04 09:00 AM

I remember when Monica Potter was hyped as the "Next Julia Roberts."

devilshalo 05-21-04 09:15 AM

Leonardo Di Caprio
Michael Biehn
Gretchen Mol
Shannon Elizabeth

bothanspy 05-21-04 09:31 AM

I remember hearing that Tea Leoni was the next Lucille Ball. What happenned to her?

Groucho 05-21-04 09:37 AM

How about Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson? His movie career has been greatly hyped, but box office numbers have fizzled.

soxfandoug 05-21-04 10:07 AM

The actor that first came to mind has had a somewhat decent career, but never met expectations:

Matthew McConaughey - All I ever heard when "A Time to Kill" came out was that Matthew McConaughey was the next Paul Newman. Never really happened.

scroll2b 05-21-04 10:20 AM

It's a very hard thing to be the next Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks. And I think half of the people mentioned don't appreciate the hype that goes along with the making of their careers, but that's how Hollywood functions unfortunately. And this thumbs up, thumbs down judging doesn't help but perpetuate the next big thing, I believe....

The Nature Boy 05-21-04 10:21 AM

I agree soxfandog, and I'll add Michael Pare, who actually had a decent string of performances in 1984 or so in the Philadelphia Experiment, Eddie and the Cruisers and Streets of Fire(his next big thing movie). He then slinked off to the world of HBO Thursday Night Prime. I love him though, I think him and Michael Biehn both should have been stars.

Groucho 05-21-04 10:29 AM

Regarding Tom Hanks, remember he was supposed to be the "Next Big Thing" after Splash, but he languished for years in a lot of craptastic light comedies until Big came down the pike.

JasonF 05-21-04 11:12 AM

How about Brad Dourif, who was introduced as the next big thing in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. While he's an excellent character actor -- he played Grima Wormtongue in The Lord of the Rings and currently plays Doc Cochrane on Deadwood, he's definitely not the superstar that everyone expected him to become when he won all those awards for Cuckoo's Nest.

Strafe 05-21-04 11:24 AM

Wasn't Sean Young supposed to make it big?

Fok 05-21-04 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
How about Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson? His movie career has been greatly hyped, but box office numbers have fizzled.
I would say the Rock is still pretty big, with his movies and appearances in the WWE, he'll probably still be in the lime light.

DonnachaOne 05-21-04 01:08 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Leonardo Di Caprio
Wow, I wish I could fizzle like he did!

"Yeah, I'm falling out of the limelight, that's why I'm playing HOWARD HUGHES and ALEXANDER THE GREAT..."

Groucho 05-21-04 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Fok
I would say the Rock is still pretty big, with his movies and appearances in the WWE, he'll probably still be in the lime light.
Oh, I agree. I just remember all the hype around the time of The Mummy Returns stating that within a year he'd be the next Schwarzeneggar and what-not.

apeyard 05-21-04 01:13 PM

Mark Hamill

Shannon Nutt 05-21-04 01:13 PM

Well, he made several hits before fading away - but I have to go with Patrick Swayze.

I don't think Leonardo DiCaprio (like him or not) is a bust. He got rave reviews for his work in "Catch Me If You Can" and I have a feeling he'll be fantastic in "The Aviator" (playing Howard Hughes).

Also, I think Hamill faded away more by his own choice than by anything else. He made a ton of money from Star Wars and then decided to do things that interested him rather than going for lead roles in big movies.

Groucho 05-21-04 01:16 PM

Originally posted by apeyard
Mark Hamill
I don't remember anybody thinking he would be "The Next Big Thing." What I do remember is everybody noting that "the guy who played Han Solo" upstaged just about everybody else in the cast.

rkndkn 05-21-04 01:20 PM

The hype was incredible for Eric Roberts when "King of the Gypsies" came out in 1978. It was a very good movie, and he also had some good follow-up performances, as in "The Pope of Greenwich Village". Never reached the superstar status expected, though, of course, he's worked steadily ever since. Who knew kid sis Julia would come along and eclipse him.

John Spartan 05-21-04 02:15 PM

McConnaughey has been resurgent lately. He has that big Clive Cussler movie coming out and has been in a pair of popular romcoms with JLo and Kate Hudson.

Diesel has Riddick coming out, a massive movie.

Brain Stew 05-21-04 02:24 PM

Mickey Rourke?

Crispin Glover -biggrin-

fumanstan 05-21-04 02:30 PM

Heath Ledger

Jazzbutcher 05-21-04 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Crispin Glover -biggrin-
After seeing Glover in River's Edge and Back to the Future, I was convinced he would hit it big. It then turned out that he was just as nutty as the characters he played.