Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Irvin Kershner's comments about Star Wars

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Irvin Kershner's comments about Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-04, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak

interviews with Kurtz talk about the original ideas they hashed out for the 'whole' saga- including what were to be eps 7,8, 9.
originally- surprise- Leia was NOT lukes sister. he did have a sister who was on the other side of the universe and wouldn't have been revealed until the next trilogy.
the resolution of ROTJ only involved the death of Vader- the Emperor was the 'big bad' who would see his ultimate demise in ep9.
in the original story for ROTJ, Han was supposed to die and Leia was to be named Queen, and Luke was to go off on his own.
it was to have been a very bittersweet, non-banal Disneyesque, ending.

for more info on this track down the IGN interview with Kurtz or consult the annotated screenplays book.
Here's the link to the IGN interview with Kurtz for those who want to read it. He talks about the Star Wars stuff on the last half of page 3 and on page 4. The interview is from Nov 2002 and I assume it's the one ckolchak is referring to.

Kurtz IGN Interview
Old 05-20-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's the one.
thanks birdseye.

IGNFF: Well what were the original outlines for the prequels? Since they can be compared and contrasted now that the first one's out there, and the second one's soon to be out there. Were there major differences from what you saw, from the original outlines of prequel ideas?

KURTZ: Well a lot of the prequel ideas were very, very vague. It's really difficult to say. I can't remember much about that at all, except dealing with the Clone Wars and the formation of the Jedi Knights in the first place – that was supposed to be one of the keys of Episode I, was going to be how the Jedi Knights came to be. But all of those notes were abandoned completely. One of the reasons Jedi came out the way it did was because the story outline of how Jedi was going to be seemed to get tossed out, and one of the reasons I was really unhappy was the fact that all of the carefully constructed story structure of characters and things that we did in Empire was going to carry over into Jedi. The resolution of that film was going to be quite bittersweet, with Han Solo being killed, and the princess having to take over as queen of what remained of her people, leaving everybody else. In effect, Luke was left on his own. None of that happened, of course.

IGNFF: So it would have been less of a fairy-tale ending?

KURTZ: Much, much less. It would have been quite sad, and poignant and upbeat at the same time, because they would have won a battle. But the idea of another attack on another Death Star wasn't there at all ... it was a rehash of Star Wars, with better visual effects. And there were no Ewoks ... it was just entirely different. It was much more adult and straightforward, the story. This idea that the roller-coaster ride was all the audience was interested in, and the story doesn't have to be very adult or interesting, seemed to come up because of what happened with Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Indiana Jones films – and the fact that that seemed to make a lot of money and it didn't matter whether there was a really good story or not – that wasn't what this kind of film was about. We had serious differences about a lot of that.
that interview also goes into good detail about just why the SEs were inferior to the originals, which is beyond things like Jabba and Greedo shooting first.
i happen to agree 100% with Kurtz feelings.
good read.

it was always a shame how the saga devolved in the last chapter, and i roll my eyes everytime i see people poo-poo the prequels and praise all of the OT.
ep1 is the direct genetic descendant of ROTJ- if anything, its a little more mature in toto.
Old 05-21-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
ROTJ and the Prequels are great to those who actually pay attention...
You must have one hell of an attention span. I fell asleep in ROTJ and both prequels.
Old 05-21-04, 01:47 AM
Banned

IGNFF: So it would have been less of a fairy-tale ending?

KURTZ: Much, much less. It would have been quite sad, and poignant and upbeat at the same time, because they would have won a battle.

--

Hmm, sounds kinda like the end of The Lord of the Rings.
Old 05-21-04, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Superboy
You must have one hell of an attention span. I fell asleep in ROTJ and both prequels.

Then why do you continue to watch them? I guarantee you will see Episode 3 as well.

This is what kills me. All you fools in all these threads kill Lucas and Star Wars yet you will almost all be there on opening night when the next one comes out and you will almost all buy every edition of every movie that comes out.

Lucas is Star Wars. He created the whole thing. Its all his. If you hate him so much than stop watching. It clearly causes you all great pain to watch the movies, so why do you continue to torture yourself? Just stop. And go away.
Old 05-21-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
ROTJ and the Prequels are great to those who actually pay attention...
Old 05-21-04, 10:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Lynch was in fact offered Return of the Jedi, but he went and did Dune instead.
Old 05-21-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
That was an excellent interview. Thanks for the linky, birdseye.
Old 05-21-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Interesting that Lucas would take a "hands off" approach that resulted in what most consider the best film in the series. Interesting comments.
Heh, was thinking the same thing.
Old 05-21-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Originally posted by kcbrett5
Then why do you continue to watch them? I guarantee you will see Episode 3 as well.

This is what kills me. All you fools in all these threads kill Lucas and Star Wars yet you will almost all be there on opening night when the next one comes out and you will almost all buy every edition of every movie that comes out.

Lucas is Star Wars. He created the whole thing. Its all his. If you hate him so much than stop watching. It clearly causes you all great pain to watch the movies, so why do you continue to torture yourself? Just stop. And go away.
It is all summed up in one word . . . hope.
Old 05-21-04, 12:11 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ANH and ESB had a great formula, I wish the other movies had the same thing.
Old 05-21-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The fact that Jedi most clearly resembles the prequels (muppets in every frame, lots of FX, storyline as an afterthought) just makes that even clearer
I agree. You can see the simularities. All show and not much else.
The newer films are nowhere near as good as episode 4 and 5 and it's intersting that a lot of fans think they are. Theres no heart to the new ones, the characters are very bland and ta boot they all take a back seat to the effects. Ashame.

It's a shame he didn't work with a co-director or have a really good co-writer for the prequel movies. Star Wars was its best when it was a collaborative project, but somehow people (including Lucas) seem to have forgotten that.
Lawrence Kasden wrote the first two didnt he, as well as Raiders. I think by the time the prequels came along, Lucas' head was too swelled to let anyone else with talent help him write them.

Last edited by riley_dude; 05-21-04 at 05:56 PM.