DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Shrek 2 - quick review (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/365163-shrek-2-quick-review.html)

Patman 05-19-04 06:10 PM

Shrek 2 - quick review

You'll walk out of the theater with a big smile on your face. After a beginning segment paced a little slow (and intentionally awkward), once the film kicks into another gear, it never lets up on the fun and the homages. I liked how they integrated the homages to push the story forward.

Pus-n-boots (Antonio Banderas) was so funny to me, he pretty much stole every scene he was in. The rest of the cast chimed in when needed and added to a fun viewing experience.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.

Jackskeleton 05-19-04 06:49 PM

Puss-n-boots stole the show. Give him a spin off movie Dreamworks. I'll watch it twice!

silentbob007 05-19-04 06:58 PM

Puss-n-boots rocks. That said, I thought the movie as a whole was pretty OK ... lots of sight gags, but it almost seemed like there were too many scenes of unhumours dialogue requried to move the story along.

Jackskeleton 05-19-04 07:14 PM

BUT IT HAD PUSS IN BOOTS!!! PUSS IN BOOTS! the damn thing was so god damn cute!!!

PopcornTreeCt 05-19-04 08:43 PM

If I thought the original was pretty bad will this one be better?

gcribbs 05-19-04 09:50 PM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
If I thought the original was pretty bad will this one be better?
I doubt you will like this one if you thought the first was bad.

I guess it would depend upon what you did not like about the first movie.

Get Me Coffee 05-19-04 10:08 PM

I'll have to say, SHREK 2 is AWESOME! I actually liked it better than the first movie. Puss-N-Boats was awesome. The Giant gingerbread man was awesome. The story was awesome.

:up: Go see it!

Rammsteinfan 05-19-04 10:25 PM

I liked the first one more but this one was very good. The first 10=15 minutes is a tad slow and some of the songs seemed odd but it was still a great movie. i hope it makes alot of $$ so we can get the next one or two films in the series.

Matthew Chmiel 05-19-04 10:26 PM

I thought the first film had an excellent first half and a decent second half. The film's first half was a satire of all the Disney animated films and every (American-ized) fairy tale known to man. The second half basically became what the first half was making fun of.

The sequel isn't as good as I was hoped and feels more like the second half of the first film which I really didn't like that much. Just jokes, most of which don't work (but the ones that do work are friggin' great), strung together by too predictable of a plot that's too "cute" for it's own good.

Spoiler:
But seeing Puss-N-Boots getting busted for "cat nip" was ****ing genius! :lol:

If you loved the first one, I would easily recommend the sequel. I just didn't like the sequel that much.

mee2 05-20-04 12:27 AM

Good news for fans of Shrek. Dreamworks is rampping up production on the 4th film...

Jackskeleton 05-20-04 12:39 AM

4th film? Forget that, I've had enough green creatures. I hoping dreamworks gets a puss in boots story out. :)

Corvin 05-20-04 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
4th film? Forget that, I've had enough green creatures. I hoping dreamworks gets a puss in boots story out. :)
:thumbsup:

While I liked Shrek 2 well enough, I think they should move on. By moving on, I mean focusing on Puss-in-Boots.

Jackskeleton 05-20-04 01:03 AM

From a DVDTALK Hero Allow me to give you my many praises. I loved the film and I loved Puss in boots. Wonderful job. You have wowed me in a way no other summer film this year has done. Bravo.

Rammsteinfan 05-20-04 01:22 AM

And dont forget to stay for the credits to see more fun with Donkey... most ppl left the theatre and missed it.

wastro 05-20-04 02:20 AM

I caught this at a midnight showing last night and LOVED every second of it --- the plot was more "grown up" than in the first movie, but hell -- I was quoting Puss-in-boots all day long and laughing my ass off at KNIGHTS. What a great movie!

Dr. DVD 05-20-04 07:58 AM

Will Puss-in-boots get his own movie though? I bet the toys of him are flying off the shelves now.

PixyJunket 05-20-04 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
The film's first half was a satire of all the Disney animated films and every (American-ized) fairy tale known to man. The second half basically became what the first half was making fun of.
This was my major problem with the first flick. Totally weak.

Giles 05-20-04 09:23 AM

this movie really surprised me, I really had a blast with it.

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I thought the first film had an excellent first half and a decent second half. The film's first half was a satire of all the Disney animated films and every (American-ized) fairy tale known to man. The second half basically became what the first half was making fun of.

The sequel isn't as good as I was hoped and feels more like the second half of the first film which I really didn't like that much. Just jokes, most of which don't work (but the ones that do work are friggin' great), strung together by too predictable of a plot that's too "cute" for it's own good.

I think that this was the point of the movie, and for the most part the filmmakers achieved humour for both children and adults alike. Sure the plot was a little sparse, but all the characters and jokes were implemented effortlessly, that the film just became fun for its own sake. It's vastly superior to the smart aleck 'trying to hard to be funny when it essentially isn't' Disney flick: "Home on the Range" (for a sec, I thought donkey as 'Stallion' was gonna say "Jump back kiss myself" -wink-)

From an animation stand point - the art and effects were jaw dropping, bubbles, hair, texture, water: Wow. The 35mm print was so amazingly clean (except for one annoying obligatory pink dot pattern). The soundmix is also a vast improvement from the first film, where the surround channels are used more aggressively and more prominent, essentially the filmmakers used every aspect of filmmaking, sight and sound to pull the viewer into Shrek's world.

Neeb 05-20-04 01:30 PM

Didn't amaze me the way the first one did.

But still a pretty good film.

Favorite pieces: Puss-in-Boots and the denizens of the Poisoned Apple.

And Jennifer Saunders made a great villian. Hope she returns to the series.

Buying it on DVD and eager for Shrek 3 (and Shrek 4, or so I've heard).

Sammy Jo 05-20-04 01:50 PM

It was better than I expected. Some parts were really good and made me think, "Wow, this is a lot better than the first one!" and then some parts (a few of them right after the just mentioned awesome parts) were really bad and dumb and made me think, "Wow, this is a lot worse than the first one." So I can't really decide... but I enjoyed it overall. Same ol' fart jokes. Pop culture references out the wazoo. But a good story and I plan to buy the DVD.

RichC2 05-20-04 02:46 PM

$11.8m yesterday, not a bad opening if I do say so. That's about how much Shrek 1 made opening day - but that opened on a Friday.

Mole177 05-21-04 02:47 AM

saw it tonight.

hilarious.

RayChuang 05-21-04 09:23 AM

There is one thing I really loved about this film:

Spoiler:
The way it parodied the Special Edition of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. rotfl I really do recommending seeing BatB SE before seeing Shrek 2 because you will then get many of the jokes--especially when the Fairy Godmother shows up.

silentbob007 05-21-04 09:26 AM

I liked the quick sight gags ...

Spoiler:
like when Mongo was crushing the Farbucks and everyone screamed and ran across the street and hid in another Farbucks.

slop101 05-21-04 04:39 PM

I really liked it.

But there were 2 big farts they should have gotten rid of:
Joan Rivers
&
Livin' LaVida Loca