Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brosnan will return as Bond(?)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-19-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the imdb.com
Brosnan Will Play Bond Again

Irish superstar Pierce Brosnan will play suave superspy James Bond again - after patching up his feud with the Broccoli family. The Rules Of Attraction actor, 51, was thought to have lost the prestigious job after film executives deemed him too old to continue playing the sexy secret agent. But despite reports British hunks Clive Owen and Jude Law have been approached to replace him, insiders say Pierce - who had publicly slammed the Broccoli's for delaying the project - is still their number one choice for Bond. A source says Barbara Broccoli told employees she had forgiven Brosnan's recent outbursts, as they didn't compare to the friction between her father Cubby and original Bond Sean Connery. Broccoli reportedly said, "If you knew what my father went through with Sean Connery, that's nothing."
I really hope this is true.
Old 05-19-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hope so also.

I would like to see one more with him then move on.
Old 05-19-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
He realizes that it is far to late to try something else. He will forever more be type casted.
Old 05-19-04, 10:06 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best bond period
Old 05-19-04, 10:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
I thought Charles Brosnan was dead Feeling Blue Hysterical
Old 05-19-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
He realizes that it is far to late to try something else. He will forever more be type casted.
Right. I don't think he will have a problem getting work.
Old 05-19-04, 11:14 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would be interesting to see Jude Law play James Bond. He might have to beef up a little bit though.
Old 05-19-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
He was "typecast" decades before he took the role . . . does that really make him typecast? Or does it just mean that he is an excellent personification of the character?
Old 05-19-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think saying Brosnan "slammed" and had "outbursts" are really out of context. He just made a few calm, well-thought-out, views about the series and where he thought the producers were taking it.
Old 05-19-04, 04:52 PM

Being a gigantic Bond fan, I really hope this is true, because Brosnan is an incredible 007.
Old 05-19-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PBs Bond films have done nothing for me.
DAD is arguably one of the all time worst of the series, despite a few promising scenes.
as bad as anything from the Moore era that usually gets blasted.

by the time a truly refreshing, more authentic actor is cast, and the scripts, rather than the female casting, are given the priority they deserve, i will be too old to care anymore.

The Bourne Supremecy & Alias have entertained me in ways Bond hasn't for a decade now.
Thank God there are better alternative out there for my superspy fix.

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-19-04 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 06:51 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Brosnan in two more...I just hope his last film is HUGE in a sense, pure bond classic.
Old 05-19-04, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Abob Teff
He was "typecast" decades before he took the role . . . does that really make him typecast? Or does it just mean that he is an excellent personification of the character?
Well, when having the choice between being 1) known or typecast as Bond or 2) playing supporting roles in other people's movies which would you choose? Brosnan's career as a leading man hinges largely upon him being Bond. I don't think a lot of the other projects he's gotten would've ever happened without Bond as a role. So...I doubt he cares much about being typecast...it's opened a crapload of doors for him and probably made him shitloads of money. And quite frankly...he's been solid in other roles many a time. Not to mention the man who originally personified James Bond seemed to do ok himself. While everyone associates Connery with Bond, I don't think he was typecast, and had a very successful career beyond Bond.
Old 05-19-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by ckolchak
PBs Bond films have done nothing for me.
DAD is arguably one of the all time worst of the series, despite a few promising scenes.
But as bad as the movies are the bright spot is always PB. He is a definitive James Bond. As far as the scripts, I think you have writers to blame for that, not the actors. He is just working with what is handed to him.
Old 05-19-04, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
But as bad as the movies are the bright spot is always PB. He is a definitive James Bond. As far as the scripts, I think you have writers to blame for that, not the actors. He is just working with what is handed to him.
I agree, Pierce has been nothing but stellar in the James Bond role. Unfortunately, his movies have left something to be desired, and have been mostly just mediocre action movies (though Goldeneye I think is a cut above his other 3). But reason enough I want to see another Pierce Bond movie...I've read stuff about what Pierce thinks is wrong with the series and needs to be changed, and it's EXACTLY what the franchise needs. Granted, I don't think Brosnan's wish to have Tarantino take a crack at a Bond movie will happen...but hey, here's hoping.

But, nonetheless, it's Brosnan's quality in the role that really makes me want to see him particapate once more...if only so we can get perhaps a really kick ass Bond movie from him.
Old 05-20-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope this is true. I think Pierce is Bond. Granted, the movies haven't been the best Bond movies (they're still really enjoyable, though), but Pierce is a perfect Bond. Hope they get started on a new one ASAP!
Old 05-20-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Considering this movie should be released next year, I hope something gets going on it soon. Bond projects aren't exactly the easiest to shoot. I miss when they did these every other year (which was all the time until the last one). Considering the producers (Broccoli and Wilson) don't really do anything, but Bond films I wonder what exactly they've been doing the last few years.

Also, what is so wrong with the long rumored Tarantino-Brosnan Bond flick. Why is it that they hate that idea so much? If the idea failed, it certainly won't kill the franchise. I mean Moonraker of A View to a Kill couldn't do, I doubt anyone could. And it's not like the current producers are piling out masterpieces. Why not give a talented director and your star a chance to go "old school" and do an old-fashioned Bond? What's the harm?
Old 05-20-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But as bad as the movies are the bright spot is always PB. He is a definitive James Bond.
not for me.
he's the actor i probably like the least in the role.
i don't find him anywhere near as dangerous or as commanding a presence as Connery or Dalton, nor as unique as Moore (who, whether you like him or not, at least had his own idiosyncratic style).
Brosnan seems to me to be trying to synthesize some of the Connery/Dalton qualities with his own natural affability, but it just doesn't work for me.

so often i get the vibe he's just posing.
its as if he has to visibly exert some effort to play this icon.

i used to think i just hated Brosnan in general, but the scenes i have watched from Laws Of Attraction remind me that PB can be enormously charming- when he is not trying to convince you of how supersmooth and tough he is.

i think he would have come across much more naturally (and therefore more authentic) in the role if he had gone after a Roger Moore vibe than a Connery/Dalton one.
Old 05-20-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
I hope they do a more simplistic Bond movie next time - kind of like how they got back to basics with FYEO after the nauseating Moonraker.
Old 05-20-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with the others that think Pierce is a terrific Bond and wouldn't mind him in another one especially after Die Another Day. Tomorrow Never Dies is still my favorite though.
Old 05-20-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Next to Connery, Brosnan is my favorite Bond. A perfect mix of cool, suave, brawn and class.

A while back I heard rumors involving Hugh Grant (like Bond needs the body of a 14 year old boy) and Matthew Perry!!

I do hope Pierce Brosnan does one more Bond before they hand over the franchise to Rob Schneider.
Old 05-20-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
A few things I have said before:

Bond movies have NEVER (ok, rarely) been about the script. Watch the docus on the DVDs and count how many of the films were developed because one of the core players either saw a beautiful location, a beautiful woman, or thought up a beautiful stunt. The scripts never came from the novels and were never written first! That said, I would love to see an intelligently conceptualized script for PBs grand finale!

They will not be able to cast a name actor as the next Bond. NONE of the favorite rumors have ANY of the qualities that Bond needs. Hell, remember between Dalton and Brosnan who some of the rumors were? Michael Jordan? Sharon Stone? Once again they were trying to find a way to "take Bond in a new direction."

With that thrown out there, I can only see one name actor having the "Bond stuff" -- however he is too young for the role right now . . . Will Ferrell! Oops, I mean Colin Farrell.

Old 05-20-04, 08:00 PM
Banned

very cool...he's got one more in him...I hope they just tone this one down some...
Old 05-21-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If somebody had to be typecast, it would be best to be typecast as James Bond.
Old 05-21-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hope they tone it down a bit too. Do a bit more spy work vs. running and gunning.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.