DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... Anyone else see this? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/364994-spring-summer-fall-winter-anyone-else-see.html)

Gunshy 05-18-04 10:45 PM

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... Anyone else see this?

What did you think? I just caught it, last night before it gets replaced by supersize tomorrow. I thought it was really good if a little paced at times (at times that was a positive thing, other times I was borderline bored).

Also,

Spoiler:
It was ovious the first Master had some special powers so to speak. That in mind, how do you think he got from the island to the shore all those times to spy on his apprentice when his apprentice had taken the rowboat? he didn't swim because his clothes and hair were never wet. That was the only thing that bugged me a little.

-Gunshy

Supermallet 05-19-04 12:38 AM

I saw this a few weeks ago. I thought it was a nice, meditative film. I had only one problem.

Spoiler:
When the apprentice is running away with the girl, the master says, "Love leads to passion, which leads to murder" or something of that sort. In the fall sequence, the apprentice comes back having killed his wife and her lover. I just thought it was a little too on the nose.

Other than that I enjoyed it quite a bit.

ktown213 05-19-04 01:16 AM

Gunshy, you hit it right on the nose, I too was confused by that part.

Other than that, it was a good film, especially for those who are into Buddhism, nirvana, symbolism, and all that good stuff...

steebo777 05-19-04 07:06 AM

Going to see this tonight, looking forward to it.

Giles 05-19-04 08:34 AM

I had a problem with the actor who played the third age of the apprentice - he really didn't look like the other 'ages'

scott shelton 05-19-04 09:38 AM

It was nice to see a film that didn't need some type of noisemaker to draw the audience in. This is the slowest film to just fly by that I've seen in a long time.

Highly recommended. But after reading some of these thoughts above, apparently I missed some plot points...

Gunshy 05-19-04 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Giles
I had a problem with the actor who played the third age of the apprentice - he really didn't look like the other 'ages'
I noticed that too but I'm wondering, was it absolutely positively supposed to be the original apprentice? Same with the woman with the baby, it is strongly suggested she was the ill girl but still quite vague about it. I suspect this vagueness was on purpose as it is the life lessons learned and the continuing traditions that are more important.

-Gunshy

Krug 05-19-04 08:47 PM

Well, they're not really characters, but more ideas/ideals.

Great film, I felt.

Supermallet 05-19-04 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Gunshy
I noticed that too but I'm wondering, was it absolutely positively supposed to be the original apprentice?
I saw nothing to indicate it was a different apprentice. What would the point of that part of the story be if it's just some random convict?

Same with the woman with the baby, it is strongly suggested she was the ill girl but still quite vague about it. I suspect this vagueness was on purpose as it is the life lessons learned and the continuing traditions that are more important.
There's no way it could be the ill girl. First of all
Spoiler:
He killed the ill girl when she cheated on him.
Secondly,
Spoiler:
she'd be in her 50's or 60's by then, there's no way she'd have an infant...unless it's a grandchild, but even then, she's already been killed.

Gunshy 05-19-04 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I saw nothing to indicate it was a different apprentice. What would the point of that part of the story be if it's just some random convict?
Sorry, I meant

Spoiler:
The older man at the end. I, like I expect most viewers, assumed it was the convict who was the boy apprentice but they never came out and said it. Could have been a cell mate who learned of the island temple, master, and ways of the pond from the original apprentice. Point being that someone returned to take up The Way again.

There's no way it could be the ill girl. First of all
Spoiler:
He killed the ill girl when she cheated on him.
Secondly,
Spoiler:
she'd be in her 50's or 60's by then, there's no way she'd have an infant...unless it's a grandchild, but even then, she's already been killed.

True but

Spoiler:
I thought it kind of curious that she always had a veil on, that he tried to remove it similar to when the young apprentice tried to touch the young girl, and the way she touched his hand then, like she knew him. I dunno, I thought it might be her, I.E. could have been the story in the paper was about *someone* who killed over love, thus proving the Master right about posessions in general - the photo didn't look like our protagonist to me.

Just my 2 cents :)

steebo777 did you see it? What did you think?

-Gunshy

Supermallet 05-19-04 10:29 PM

Spoiler:
The apprentice explicitally tells the master that he killed the wife and her lover. There's no doubt he did it. Also, the reason the final guy doesn't look like the others is because it's the director of the film, not an actor cast to look like the others. And I remember in the end credits that each actor is credited as the same character, which to me is proof enough that the guy at the end is the same apprentice.

inri222 09-30-13 09:27 AM

Re: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... Anyone else see this?

Watched this over the weekend and I thought it was very good. There are time that the pacing is slow but it just adds to the overall mood of the film. The more films I see by Kim Ki-duk the more I consider him to be the best director from Korea.