Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gnomeo and Juliet: It's coming, a love story between garden gnomes!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-18-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just reading a review for Trainspotting and decided to just check out Ewan McGregor's IMDB listing to see what all he's been in and his future projects, since I'm such a fan of his now. Well, in doing so I noticed a strange animated film that is scheduled to come out in 2006 called Gnomeo and Juliet. Here is the IMDB write-up on it so far. Little information is given, except for the fact that Ewan and Kate Winslet lend their voices to the lovestruck garden gnomes and Judi Dench is the voice of "nurse", and this plot outline.

Romance blooms between indoor and outdoor garden gnomes.
I just found this all rather odd and amusing. It's being directed by Gary Trousdale who was over the animated films Atlantis: The Lost Empire, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Beauty and the Beast.
Old 05-18-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't really mind this being made, it's always interesting to see a different twist on Shakespeare. Whether it's good or not, I guess we'll find out.

I don't know, though, I can't imagine what they are going to do with the ending.
Old 07-17-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Gnomeo"

Old 07-17-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After Ameile, the whole Gnome thing has gotten ridiculous. I am tired of Romeo and Juliet moves and their god damn fresh spins. Screw this movie.
Old 07-18-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are indoor Gnomes?
Old 07-18-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
There are indoor Gnomes?
Indoor gnomes, outdoor gnomes, subterranean gnomes (for people who don't like to show off), aquatic gnomes (for beach houses) and, lately... SPACE gnomes.

I mean, duh.
Old 07-18-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
There are indoor Gnomes?
I think they steal underwear.

tasha
Old 02-12-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Gnomeo and Juliet: It's coming, a love story between garden gnomes!

"Gnomeo and Juliet" is somewhat of a retelling of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet", but with the use of garden gnomes and other gnomes and backyard objects, all of whom come to life when no humans are looking, and in keeping with the "warring" factions between the Capulets and the Montagues, they are reduced to red and blue gnomes who reside in adjoining houses between arguing neighbors, and never shall blues mix with reds. The film is peppered with callbacks to "Romeo an Juliet", and the voice talent all use English accents (as most are English actors and actresses, too).

The CGI character designs of the characters are rather cute, so you can't help but like the cast of characters, but the storyline is on the boring side, and fails to be entertaining on 2 levels, for adults and children, at the same time. But anything that introduces kids to Shakespeare can't be all bad.

Be prepared for noisy kids if you check this out during a matinee showing.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 02-12-11, 07:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I didn't realize this movie was so long in the making.
Old 02-13-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 889 Likes on 618 Posts

^ Me neither. Judging by Patman's review I'm guessing the delay had to be on the technical side. There's no way it took them 7 years to come up with that story!
Old 02-13-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe Disney put their name on this crap. I would expect something like this from some other studio like the one that released Planet 51 or one of those other Pixar type knock off studios.
Old 09-27-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 530 Likes on 404 Posts

I guess I had my expectations really, really low for his because I thought it was a serviceable adaptation of the source material for the younger set.

And my wife, who usually loves more "mainstream" type movies, thought it was awful.
Old 09-27-11, 05:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
I was just reading a review for Trainspotting and decided to just check out Ewan McGregor's IMDB listing to see what all he's been in and his future projects, since I'm such a fan of his now. Well, in doing so I noticed a strange animated film that is scheduled to come out in 2006 called Gnomeo and Juliet. Here is the IMDB write-up on it so far. Little information is given, except for the fact that Ewan and Kate Winslet lend their voices to the lovestruck garden gnomes and Judi Dench is the voice of "nurse", and this plot outline.

I just found this all rather odd and amusing. It's being directed by Gary Trousdale who was over the animated films Atlantis: The Lost Empire, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Beauty and the Beast.
actor James McAvoy wants a word with you.