Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

napolean dynamite

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I would say that anything mass marketed at Hot Topic is far from a "CULT" item.
Okay, while Napoleon Dynamite is a hit with all the kiddies and teens, I still don't think the mainstream has fully embraced it yet. Let's see if FOX ever tries to lure Hess over with more money to make a follow-up of sorts.

[Now if there is a sequel and if it does like a $50 million weekend, then we can say the mainstream embraced it. Actually, I'd predict it make more than $50 million....]

And I'd like to argue that Donnie Darko is still a cult favorite, despite having products based off the film at Hot Topic.

Same applies to Invader Zim.
Old 05-30-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm still hesitant to say anything that is in Hot Topic is anywhere near cult status. It just feels wrong to say it.

Besides, with a Fox Double dipping in the future and considering how many units it sold on dvd.. I'm pretty confident in saying the mainstream public accepted it very well.
Old 05-30-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie is like a joke with no punchline. It is mildly entertaining, but it is rather pointless. In spite of that, I catch myself quoting the thing from time to time.
Old 05-31-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Okay, while Napoleon Dynamite is a hit with all the kiddies and teens, I still don't think the mainstream has fully embraced it yet.
I'm 40-years-old and this is one of my favorite comedies of all time. My senior citizen parents actually liked it as well (which honestly surprised me). Maybe you are right that more teenagers are into it, but it's not just for the tots (that would be kiddies, not taters).
Old 07-03-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts
I watched this for the first time tonight, and i'm not sure who produced or directed it but i'm thinking of suing then from wasting 1½ hours of my life. I kept waiting for it to get funny.. and waiting.. and waiting... i'm still waiting.
Old 07-04-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod
I watched this for the first time tonight, and i'm not sure who produced or directed it but i'm thinking of suing then from wasting 1½ hours of my life. I kept waiting for it to get funny.. and waiting.. and waiting... i'm still waiting.
More proof that this movie is only funny to those people who weren't nerds in high school.
Old 07-04-05, 03:08 AM

My next door neighbor is a pretty big weirdo/loser and he reminds alot of us of Napoleon. He watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago and hated it 'cause Napoleon reminded my friend of himself too much. So yes, for those who didn't like it, it MAY hit too close to home

I don't love it as much as the masses do, but it's definitely a good, unique, entertaining movie (for the most part). Office Space, Royal Tenenbaums, Swingers are much higher on my list.
Old 07-05-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts
Originally Posted by Ketamine
More proof that this movie is only funny to those people who weren't nerds in high school.
Well you may be on to something there.. or perhaps it was just a really crappy movie!
Old 07-05-05, 12:57 PM
Banned

Best movie ever!
Old 07-05-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I felt pretty much the same way when I watched it a few months ago. An utterly pointless, boring and dumb movie.
Old 07-05-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm right there with you. Class action suit. Do it up.

I suffered through the entire movie and even sat through the credits hoping for something worthwhile.

But there was nothing.

And thus I wept.

Last edited by jdpatri; 07-06-05 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, finally saw this one too. It was very good as a character / dialogue driven movie, reminded me a lot of Clerks.

Here's an interesting piece of trivia: Jon Heder was paid $1,000 to play Napoleon Dynamite. The movie grossed over $40,000,000 in the United States.

Don: Hey, Napoleon. What did you do last summer again?
Napoleon Dynamite: I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!
Don: Did you shoot any?
Napoleon Dynamite: Yes, like 50 of 'em! They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?
Don: What kind of gun did you use?
Napoleon Dynamite: A freakin' 12-gauge, what do you think?
Napoleon Dynamite: Stay home and eat all the freakin' chips, Kip.
Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Old 07-13-06, 11:42 PM

The review on here pretty much sumed it up. You either love it or you hate it.

I finally saw this movie and I laughed my ass off! I loved it.
Old 08-21-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it this weekend for the first time. I thought it was very funny.
Old 08-21-06, 09:37 AM

Was funny the first 2 times then it gets boreing. Only part I really liked was the dance sing. Thats was awsome.
Old 08-21-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpatri
I'm right there with you. Class action suit. Do it up.

I think it makes more sense to have a class action lawsuit against God for not giving some people a sense of humor.