Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

napolean dynamite

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivero
The kind of humor that's funny if you're drunk, or just very easily amused.
that kind of logic is reassuring if you don't have the attention span required to wait for a good laugh that rewards you for the time spent, or you are shallow enough to only be amused by slapstick pie fucking or wrenches to the face. Not that i didn't laugh at those too, but it shows a lack of respect to criticize others for what they think is funny because you are unwilling or unable to see the entertainment of being amused while a story is being told instead of just seeing something funny for 90 minutes then it is over. these are films that are as much about telling a story as they are about making you laugh. If you don't like it fine, don't watch it. But to label it as "funny if you're drunk, or just very easily amused" is incorrect and shows you to be narrow-minded.
Atleast put an "I think" infront of your statement, then it is presented as opinion instead of stated as a fact discrediting those of us who enjoyed it...

Last edited by ivelostr2; 01-27-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ivelostr2
that kind of logic is reassuring if you don't have the attention span required to wait for a good laugh that rewards you for the time spent, or you are shallow enough to only be amused by slapstick pie fucking or wrenches to the face. Not that i didn't laugh at those too, but it shows a lack of respect to criticize others for what they think is funny because you are unwilling or unable to see the entertainment of being amused while a story is being told instead of just seeing something funny for 90 minutes then it is over. these are films that are as much about telling a story as they are about making you laugh. If you don't like it fine, don't watch it. But to label it as "funny if you're drunk, or just very easily amused" is incorrect and shows you to be narrow-minded.
Atleast put an "I think" infront of your statement, then it is presented as opinion instead of stated as a fact discrediting those of us who enjoyed it...
i venture away from the Other forum to read about NP and i read this post! seems like i have been ALL the fun!
Old 02-15-05, 03:32 PM
Banned

What the hell, ive been hearing all these rumors that the actor that played Napoleon died. Anyone heard these rumors.
Old 02-15-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
He's up in heaven with Wallace Shawn and Audrey Seiler. May he rest in peace
Old 02-15-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MovieMaster11
What the hell, ive been hearing all these rumors that the actor that played Napoleon died. Anyone heard these rumors.
What?!? Where did you hear that?
Old 02-15-05, 05:59 PM
Banned

All my CoWorkers were saying it today and on Imdb under his name there is comments of the rumors.
Old 02-15-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ummm he didn't die... whoever started those "rumors" is a frickin' idiot... Gosh!
Old 02-15-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the more pointless films I've watched in a long time. I mostly just sat there thinking "what the hell?". That can be a good thing in a movie like Donnie Darko or Rushmore, but for some reason the weirdness in this one just didn't resonate with me at all.

The emperor may have clothes, but I sure as hell didn't see them.
Old 04-06-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just saw this movie off a library copy. it was very - as chess put it - "what the hell?" I did laugh at various points in the movie but overall, I thought it was boring. I'm not quite sure I get it. I liked his dance moves on stage though.
Old 04-06-05, 10:02 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chess
One of the more pointless films I've watched in a long time. I mostly just sat there thinking "what the hell?".
I watched this on my flight back from Hawaii and had the same reaction.

"What the hell?"

What the hell was the point of this movie?

What the hell was supposed to be funny about it?

What the hell about it generated so much hype?

I guess it's a case of one person's trash being another treasure, but definitely in the trash heap for me.

1/5.
Old 04-06-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It all comes down to if you know or knew someone like Napolean Dynamite in your own personal life. Many people have known people just like the characters in ND. I knew a few myself in HS.
Old 04-06-05, 10:12 PM
Retired

There was a kid or two like that at my high school (though not to that extreme), still doesn't make the movie remotely entertaining for me.

By that logic you'd have to know a serial killer to enjoy Se7en.
Old 04-06-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but I've found that many who loved this movie, quote it, and just flat out enjoyed it knew people just like the characters in the film. Then on the other hand, I've found that many who hate it so much, just flat out never knew anyone like that, and to a point refuse to believe such people are "real".

Just my experience from asking tons of people what they thought of the flick.
Old 04-07-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Humor is subjective. People I know don't get humor like on Scrubs or Arrested Development either but that doesnt mean it isn't good. I just dont think some people get it.
It was So much better than most of the comedies released aimed at a target audience of 12.
Old 04-07-05, 11:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I watched this on my flight back from Hawaii and had the same reaction.

"What the hell?"

What the hell was the point of this movie?

What the hell was supposed to be funny about it?

What the hell about it generated so much hype?

I guess it's a case of one person's trash being another treasure, but definitely in the trash heap for me.

1/5.
I didn't think it totally as bad as you made it, but I had the same questions too, but I of course also didn't find Anchorman funny at the slightest either.
Old 04-07-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
The movie was humorous, but that is about as far as ill go with it. I knew/know people like that, but the movie still didnt do much for me. The only real laugh out loud moment i had is when he got hit in the face with a steak. Other than that, it was rather blah.
Old 04-07-05, 12:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
In a funny-surreal-sick kind of way, I thought the funniest part was the cow scene.
Old 04-07-05, 12:25 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Giles
I didn't think it totally as bad as you made it, but I had the same questions too, but I of course also didn't find Anchorman funny at the slightest either.
I don't find stuff like Anchorman funny at all either. Comedies aren't my favorites by any means especially the "stupid funny" movies like that.
Old 04-07-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was funny - but I definitely think it's like Swingers or Office Space or The Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm in that it takes multiple viewings for many people to appreciate it. There are so many little things that just get more amusing each time you see it. Basically there are so many little nuances that you miss the first time around, and when you see them you laugh hysterically. The more you think about the film, and remember funny quotes, the more funny the film becomes. This type of humor is slow-acting, but is the kind that lasts.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 04-07-05 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-07-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I simply love this movie. Every time I put it on I find something new to laugh about. One of the best films from 2004
Old 04-08-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Great Character , mostly stupid movie. What do you expect from MTV flims.....

Clearly it could've been great, was funny at times. But to me it just seemed forced like it was trying way to hard to be some cool indie movie. MTV gerneration manufacturing pop stars, now they're trying to manufacture indie movies....how nice.
Old 04-08-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hdtv00
Great Character , mostly stupid movie. What do you expect from MTV flims.....

Clearly it could've been great, was funny at times. But to me it just seemed forced like it was trying way to hard to be some cool indie movie. MTV gerneration manufacturing pop stars, now they're trying to manufacture indie movies....how nice.
To be fair to the movie, MTV only bought into the distribution of the film, in partnership with Fox Searchlight and Paramount Classics. They didn't produce it or have any say in the script, casting, etc.

To me, it is a pure indie movie, because it doesn't care if it looks like or acts like other films out there. If you didn't like that, you are entitled to that opinion, but personally, I don't see how it was "trying too hard to be some cool indie movie:" it just was what it was.
Old 05-29-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the worst films of 2004. Not funny at all, and sure as hell not cool or hip that many are saying it is. Another 90 minute snooze fest.
Old 05-29-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
All will change when the DVD is released. Don't you worry my friend, the moment it hits DVD, the cult audience on the flick is going to be big.
Despite the fact that I wrote this 9 months ago, I would just like to point out that I was right, and Scott Shelton was wrong.

Go me. Oh yes, go me.
Old 05-29-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I would say that anything mass marketed at Hot Topic is far from a "CULT" item.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.