Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

napolean dynamite

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-04, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with those who didn't like it. I thought it was really trying too hard.
Old 06-30-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went to the first of the free screenings tonight in Vegas. I thought it was hilarious. One of the funniest films of the year (doesn't top Dodgeball through).

I got the Liger t-shirt... hopefully they'll be different shirts at the next two screenings...
Old 07-03-04, 11:55 PM

Did you draw her picture?

Heck yeah I did!
Old 07-04-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this on Friday. It was pretty funny in a deadpan sort of way. The movie just didnt have enough to keep it going for an hour and a half though. No plot at all. Still funny though.
Old 07-10-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have no idea how to review this film. It got quite a few uncomfortable laughs out of me, and it was just so bizarre and pitiful at times, you just wonder how these characters function from minute to minute, much less from scene to scene. Having a lead character whose mouth is pretty much agape all the time, while looking down in most scenes was just stressful and uninvolving. Napolean is pretty crabby, and a dorkish personality, and there's no pretense to make him all that sympathetic, which was refreshing. Oddly enough, it made him more 3-dimensional, though his personality is flat and oddly harsh at times.

The strange friendship between Napolean and Pedro has to be one of the most low energy friendships ever captured on film. Napoleon's courtship of Deb also qualifies as one low-ebb connection, so odd, indeed. Napolean's brother and his uncle also provide some awfully strange subplots.

Did I laugh during this film? Yes. I just can't tell if I was laughing at the film, or with the film.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Last edited by Patman; 07-12-04 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-11-04, 12:51 PM

I really enjoyed the film and laughed out loud A LOT, but in the end, I kind of felt like I'd just watched a series of vignettes strung together. It's not like there was a real big arc or anything like that -- in spite of this criticism, though, I'm glad I saw it and have been quoting it with friends the last few days.

"Friggin' IDIOT!"
Old 07-11-04, 06:02 PM

I missed a chance at going to a free showing last wednesday, and i dont really know if ill pay to go see it even though i love weird films like it. I guess ill wait for the dvd.
Old 07-11-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the second free screening here in Vegas on Wednesday and I now have a greater appreciation for the film since the first screening. This has to be the most bizarre PG-rated comedy geared towards the mainstream in ages, and I dig every minute of it.

If you have a sense of humor that is very random, you'll love the flick. It's good to have two very random comedies both released in the same time frame (this flick and Anchorman).
Old 07-19-04, 11:54 PM
Banned

"Tina! Come eat some ham!"

If you didn't like this movie, you officially have no skills.
Old 07-20-04, 12:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
This has to be the most bizarre PG-rated comedy geared towards the mainstream in ages
NAPOLEON mainstream?

I dunno about that...
Old 07-20-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
As posted in the other thread:

Napoleon Dynamite Gets Five Extra Minutes
Old 07-23-04, 10:42 AM

Just stopped by to say I saw the preview for this on TV last night and now I want to see it. It looks strangely interesting. I'd never heard a word about it until the commercial popped up. It looks weird but fun. I guess it's getting a wide release now, eh?

I tried to scan the thread and not get any spoilers. Sounds like it's a love-it or hate-it affair. I hope I'm in the former camp.
Old 07-28-04, 12:19 AM
Li

I had never heard about this film until my brother saw it last night and told me I should see it (which I did tonight).

I personally have never laughed during a movie more. I loved every minute of it!

I was honestly really surprised while reading this thread that so many people didn't like it.

Last edited by Li; 07-28-04 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-28-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friends and I saw it tonight. We all thought it was a pretty good time. Some real funny comedies this summer.
Old 08-07-04, 03:16 AM

was the boom mic supossed to be that visible in all those scenes or did my theater mess up? it started becoming real obvious and my friends and i would just crack up. was it put in there to be funny?
Old 08-07-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally saw it and thought it was pretty funny. Much funnier than the trying-way-too-hard to be funny Dodgeball. It was kinda like Pete & Pete/Reno 911 humor. I found myself to be the only one out of my friends laughing.
Old 08-07-04, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by CrashNBurn69
was the boom mic supossed to be that visible in all those scenes or did my theater mess up? it started becoming real obvious and my friends and i would just crack up. was it put in there to be funny?
Your theater messed up.

Complain, get passes.
Old 08-07-04, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Li
I was honestly really surprised while reading this thread that so many people didn't like it.
A minority, but a rapidly growing one.
Old 08-07-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott shelton
A minority, but a rapidly growing one.
All will change when the DVD is released. Don't you worry my friend, the moment it hits DVD, the cult audience on the flick is going to be big.
Old 08-07-04, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
All will change when the DVD is released. Don't you worry my friend, the moment it hits DVD, the cult audience on the flick is going to be big.
I disagree.
Old 08-14-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since my girlfriend never got to see the film when my friend and I went to all the free screenings, I went and took her to see it tonight. I also wanted to see it again to see the "new" scene.

I have never seen so many rude people in my entire life all place together in one theater. Unlike the free screenings crowds, where people actually "got" the movie. A majority of the entire audience (with the exception of my girlfriend and I), did not simply like the film. And they showed their displeasure with it. They called people on their cell phones saying the films sucked. They answered their cell phones and told their friends the film sucked. People walked out (and many did) loudly telling everyone else their displeasure for the film. By the time the "new" scene came up after the credits, the packed theater was down to five people. If you're going to be rude during the film, at least walk out. Don't ruin the show for others for Christ's sake.

At least the "new" scene was funny (and more random than some scenes in the film), so that made up for the douchebags talking during the film (since they all left once the screen turned black for the credits). It's not like I haven't seen the film three times prior.
Old 08-14-04, 06:26 PM

That sounds shitty Matthew. Some people are such idiots. Like you said, if you hate the movie that much, just leave! Really, from the previews i think you could almost tell if this would be your type of movie or not..
Old 08-19-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie was a huge letdown for me, anything but sweet. To each their own who did enjoy it, but I really love Wes Anderson's(to which this has been compared) stuff, but this felt like a lame, warmed over, Welcome to the Dollhouse(I thought that while watching and actually saw Ebert reference it too). Harmless enough, and there were a few funny moments, but ultimately, it didn't satisfy me.
Old 09-02-04, 04:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I really liked this movie. There are some many quotable lines to it. Hopefully the DVD will be packed with extras.
Old 09-03-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, this film opened up in Anderson, SC today and I went to check it out. Simply put, I loved it! I love this type of comedy, it's just so dry and odd that it really connects with me. I can't wait for the DVD, and I might just go watch this one in the theater again.

"My lips hurt REAL bad!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.