DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Anyone getting tired of the Enya-like "Aaaaaaaah...aaaaaahhh..." scores? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/364651-anyone-getting-tired-enya-like-aaaaaaaah-aaaaaahhh-scores.html)

Patman 05-17-04 10:36 AM

Anyone getting tired of the Enya-like "Aaaaaaaah...aaaaaahhh..." scores?

Films like the LOTR trilogy, Gladiator, Troy rely on the Enya-like "Aaaaaaaaaah...ahhhh...aaaaaa...." backing score to indicate sadness and melancholy and to provoke such emotional responses from the audience to those scenes. Anyone else grown tired of it by now?

Daytrip 05-17-04 11:00 AM

it did get quite annoying in Troy. the score was much too loud and overbearing in a lot of the shots and those shots that used the as you call it "Enya-like" stuff seemed way too long

gcribbs 05-17-04 11:06 AM

I do not remember any Enya like music in Troy. I remember some Gladiator like music which got a bit annoying.

Of course if Enya did some of the music in Gladiator then :o

Michael Corvin 05-17-04 11:08 AM

It was done excellent in Episode I. Duel of the Fates. But it has become quite a cliche since then.

Cardiac161 05-17-04 11:15 AM

Those irish-like chants in the soundtracks nowadays are just getting over-used and abused.

I personally think Troy was an example of a soundtrack gone bad. The Enya-like "Aaaaaaaaaah...ahhhh...aaaaaa...." backing score got too annoying!!!

Gladiator and The Insider had great movie music and it featured Lisa Gerrard's haunting vocals. She doesn't go over the top with the "aahhhhh...ahhh...ahhhhh" unlike other soundtracks.

Everytime you have a movie that features anything like an ancient epic or battle, expect "Aaaaaaaaaah...ahhhh...aaaaaa...."

clappj 05-17-04 11:16 AM

Nope.

bhk 05-17-04 11:40 AM

Was tired of it about 1 second after it got started(in earlier films).
STOP THE CELTIC WAILING PLEASE!

DodgingCars 05-17-04 12:01 PM

Originally posted by clappj
Nope.

Dr. DVD 05-17-04 12:08 PM

Depends on the movie. No need for it in action flix.

Mondo Kane 05-17-04 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
No need for it in action flix.
Except for Battle Royale -smile-

ArchibaldTuttle 05-17-04 01:54 PM

nope I love the "Aaaaaaaaaah...ahhhh...aaaaaa...." stuff, can't get enough of it

jaeufraser 05-17-04 02:42 PM

Geesh, seems like anything with a choir is all of a sudden an Enya rip off. Lisa Gerrad is popular in film scoring (with Hans ZImmer) so it's not surprising she's showing up, but I don't think she sounds that Enyaish. Titanic sounded like Enya...

And Duel of the Fates? That doesn't even sound remotely like ENya OR Lisa Gerrad.

No, I dig it as long as the score is well done. It really does convey the point well, voices for melancholy. Look back to Elfman's use of the boys choir for Edward Scissorhands and you can see how effective a voice or choir can be for creating that sadness in music.

chanster 05-17-04 02:45 PM

It is being overused. You know you have problems when the Matrix Revolutions started using them

Star Wars Guy 05-17-04 03:08 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser

And Duel of the Fates? That doesn't even sound remotely like ENya OR Lisa Gerrad.

I was just about to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

BassDude 05-17-04 03:19 PM

It's funny.. I leaned over to my GF during TROY and said "I'll be glad when this Siren wailing fad wears off!"

(Thought I'd keep my critique Mythological based, but Enya-esque works as well.) :)

karnblack 05-17-04 03:29 PM

Yes, we need to get back to the Carmina Burana rip-offs. :)

shill66 05-17-04 04:53 PM

"Wordless voice". Yes, I'm sick of it, but then I was sick of Lisa Gerrard's voice thirteen years ago.

Rival11 05-17-04 06:22 PM

Yeah, It's definitely played out, first, a lot of these same films used the theme music from Braveheart, then copied Kronos' amazing score from Requeim for a Dream.

mookyman 05-17-04 07:36 PM

If anything, I would say that Gerrard sounds closer to Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

darqleo 05-17-04 08:28 PM

You can find the "original" Troy score here and compare notes with what they ended up with. I haven't seen Troy yet, but I already like this discarded version better (click on NEWS and the link is to the mid-left) :

http://www.gabrielyared.com/flashsite/index2.htm

Whattodo 05-29-04 05:52 AM

Well, the entire LOTR soundtrack was highly overrated.

The soundtrack for Once Upon a Time in America had some of the excessive "Ahh"ing but it's still arguably one of greatest soundtracks ever.

DVD Smurf 05-29-04 11:03 AM

love it...

Troy Stiffler 05-29-04 11:12 AM

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
love it...
Same here...

John Spartan 05-29-04 11:15 AM

Originally posted by darqleo
You can find the "original" Troy score here and compare notes with what they ended up with. I haven't seen Troy yet, but I already like this discarded version better (click on NEWS and the link is to the mid-left) :

http://www.gabrielyared.com/flashsite/index2.htm

Weird. That's actually quite a nice score and the style doesn't sound too different from Horner's score. Why did they discard it?

Groucho 05-29-04 11:47 AM

One of the best moves Michael Mann made was removing the New Age song from his director's cut of Last of the Mohicans.