Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Turner Classic Movies nudity?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-17-04, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I was watching one of my old favorites "Day of the Jackal" on Turner Clasic Movies. I hadn't seen it in quite a long time and had forgotten how much nudity was in this movie.

I was really shocked that none if the nudity was edited out. It had a few bare breasted shots and even a full frontal nudity shot of Edward Fox.

I casually mentioned this to my wife and she got way more upset than I did. She was concerned about our two children stumbling upon this by themselves. She told me to set the parental controls to block all R rated shows. I told her I would. It was only then that I noticed this was a PG rated movie!

How does a PG rated movie have this much nudity in it?
Old 05-17-04, 10:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Turner Classic Movies nudity?

Originally posted by Husker
Nudity in movies wasn't the terribly evil thing in the 70s that it is today. Naked breasts were fairly common in the PG movies of my adolescence.
Old 05-17-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Turner Classic Movies nudity?

Originally posted by Husker
Yesterday I was watching one of my old favorites "Day of the Jackal" on Turner Clasic Movies. I hadn't seen it in quite a long time and had forgotten how much nudity was in this movie.

I was really shocked that none if the nudity was edited out. It had a few bare breasted shots and even a full frontal nudity shot of Edward Fox.

I casually mentioned this to my wife and she got way more upset than I did. She was concerned about our two children stumbling upon this by themselves. She told me to set the parental controls to block all R rated shows. I told her I would. It was only then that I noticed this was a PG rated movie!

Oh jesus, Oh jesus! The heavens would rain fire should your children cast eyes upon such obscene images, oh Lord!

Remember to cover their eyes when they're in the shower.

You never know
Old 05-17-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh and thats great that tcm doesn't block out t&a and shows movies uncut.
Old 05-17-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What time was this movie on? Normally, TCM plays movies with lots of language and adult themes in the late evening, early morning.
Old 05-17-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by freudguy
What time was this movie on? Normally, TCM plays movies with lots of language and adult themes in the late evening, early morning.
damn, 6 pm et, oh and the movie IS indeed rated R
Old 05-17-04, 10:52 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
damn, 6 pm et, oh and the movie IS indeed rated R
According to IMDb it was rated PG. It may have been re-rated and changed to R, to accomodate more puritan contemporary mores.
Old 05-17-04, 10:56 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember seeing nudity on AMC a few times before they "sold out" and started editing their movies. (Not to mention adding commericals and showing such classics as "Pinata: Survival Island")
Old 05-17-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Turner Classic Movies nudity?

Originally posted by Parcher
Oh jesus, Oh jesus! The heavens would rain fire should your children cast eyes upon such obscene images, oh Lord!

Remember to cover their eyes when they're in the shower.

You never know
Thanks for your useful response. While you may find it radaculous to be concerned, every family has the right and obligation to set their own moral compass as they see fit (within the bounds of acceptable community standards of course).

Back on topic:

I agree. The film ratings system was less "strict" on nudity pre mid-70s. And I too applaud TCM for showing the film uneditted even though I would not want my duaghter to view the film at her current age. Of course, that is why I watch and/or approve my daughter's TV viewing choices.
Old 05-17-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
What's funny is there was a bit of a controversy recently over whether TCM showed it's movies unedited. I said that TCM must have changed their policy on this some years ago, and even insisted I once saw "Day of the Jackal" with all its glorious PG nudity edited out:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...62#post4725462

Thankfully, I still have the copy I made from this broadcast. So, although I'm sure no one from that thread believed me, at least I know I was right. Which is really what counts.

Seriously though, the PG rating - especially before PG-13 came along - would sometimes be of no help in making an informed parental decision. I wouldn't consider "Day of the Jackal" to be PG, and there were plenty of other strange examples like this as well. (The best example I can think of - the PG film "Sheena." Although as a non-parenting Tanya Roberts worshipper way back in 1984, I surely wasn't complaining to the MPAA about this.)

Last edited by rennervision; 05-17-04 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-17-04, 12:20 PM

Let me first say I have no problem with showing a movie on TV in its unedited version. As a matter of fact I prefer it. I can't stand seeing movies that are butchered beyond belief because some censor doesn't want us to see a woman’s nipple or hear someone say "@#$!."

My Brighthouse cable lists this move as PG in the on-screen guide and it is listed as PG on imdb.com.

This was an afternoon 6pm showing. I take an interest in what my kids see. I think all responsible parents should. I don't have a problem with them seeing an occasional nude or violent scene in a movie. I'd just like to be aware of the fact before hand. This is a basic cable channel and I'd always assumed a PG rating didn't have any nudity but thinking back on my 40 some years of movie watching I think I'd have to say a PG rating in the 70s is a lot different than it is today. You’d think it would have gotten more liberal but it seems to have gone the other way. It just goes to show you can’t rely strictly on technology (i.e. rating blocks or vchips) to control what your kids see.

I think Michael Criton’s movie “Andromeda Strain” (1971) has some female nudity and it is rated G so go figure.

Last edited by Husker; 05-17-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well there's also Logan's run (which also plays on tcm often) which has the famous tunnel scene which def. would not get a pg or even a pg13 today.
Old 05-17-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank god we're all born fully clothed.
Old 05-17-04, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by rennervision
The best example I can think of - the PG film "Sheena." Although as a non-parenting Tanya Roberts worshipper way back in 1984, I surely wasn't complaining to the MPAA about this.)

Ahh, Sheena.

I think that was the first movie where I realized that I was going to be very much into women - and I was born in 1977, so I must have never gone through that "girls are gross" stage. That would be a good thread, "which movie signalled the start of your sexual awakening?"
Old 05-17-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by lucasorion
Ahh, Sheena.

That would be a good thread, "which movie signalled the start of your sexual awakening?"
Any movie on Cinemax, Friday night, from 1983 to 1984.
Old 05-17-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Numanoid
Thank god we're all born fully clothed.
Exactly.

I'd have to live in a monastery if I ever opened my eyes when going to the little boys' pee-pee room.
Old 05-17-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So TMC (turner classic movies) shows their movies edited and uncut without commercials, but AMC and TCM show them unedited and in widescreen with commercials, right?
Old 05-17-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no, tcm (turner classic movies) shows them uncut, widescreen, and commercial free, AMC has commericals and edits their movies for content and TMC plays their movies uncut and commercial free but not in widescreen.
Old 05-17-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
no, tcm (turner classic movies) shows them uncut, widescreen, and commercial free, AMC has commericals and edits their movies for content and TMC plays their movies uncut and commercial free but not in widescreen.
I guess my humor was a bit too subtle.