Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Quentin Tarantino presents hero

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Quentin Tarantino presents hero

Old 05-17-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rival11
Yeah it does, although I heard it's not big on action and I'm not really into these types of movies, this one has me interested - could be pretty good.
No, it's not big on action, but don't let that keep you from seeing it. There are still some really great fight scenes and beautiful images. Definitely worth seeing/owning.
Old 05-18-04, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by cultshock
No, no, no. Resevoir Dogs was a direct rip off of City on Fire and Pulp Fiction ripped off Kiss Me Deadly and a bunch of other films. [/B]
You forgot Jackie Brown. It has loads in common with Kubrick's The Killing.
Old 05-18-04, 11:17 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Jackie Brown was a total rip-off of Elmore Leonard's "Rum Punch." Man, the similarities are just startling.

Yeah, QT had nothing to do with "Hero" which has been a HUGE hit in China for a couple of years now.

I can't wait to see it on the big screen. I hope it'll be showing somewhere near me.

Yimou is one of my favourite directors. It's just too bad that Gong Li isn't in this one (although Zhang ZiYi is... yum).
Old 05-18-04, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by cultshock
Oh, this is interesting: today at Cannes, Miramax had a press screening of Hero. The length of the film? Apparently at 109 minutes, it seems to be Zhang's original cut of the film. Wow, we might just get an uncut version of the film yet. We may have QT to thank for this.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/minisites/...ves/000026.php
As profbobo mentioned, the original director's cut was always reported as 118 minutes long. So if the Cannes version is released it's still not the original cut.
Old 05-18-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
I see a lot of people saying that this movie is not all about action........if you have seen this movie or know what it's all about, send me a message (I don't think it would be cool to use spoiler tags on this one but if you think so go ahead I guess) telling me all the goods.
Here's a review:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...on_3/hero.html
Old 05-18-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Yimou is one of my favourite directors. It's just too bad that Gong Li isn't in this one (although Zhang ZiYi is... yum).
She and Zhang Yimou have not worked together since they broke off their romantic relationship and she married another man.
Old 05-18-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

May have been mentioned before but Zhang Yimou's new film "House of Flying Daggers" has just been picked up by Sony Classics.

Yimou specifically stated his disappointment with Miramax and vowed never to work with them again.

House of Flying Daggers is now being featured (though not in competition) in Cannes and is also a martial arts movie starring Zhang Zi-Yi, Takeshi Kaneshiro (personal favorite of mine) and Andy Lau.
Old 05-18-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Originally posted by Cardiac161
May have been mentioned before but Zhang Yimou's new film "House of Flying Daggers" has just been picked up by Sony Classics.

Yimou specifically stated his disappointment with Miramax and vowed never to work with them again.

House of Flying Daggers is now being featured (though not in competition) in Cannes and is also a martial arts movie starring Zhang Zi-Yi, Takeshi Kaneshiro (personal favorite of mine) and Andy Lau.
Hopefully House of Flying Daggers will get the same treatment SPC gave to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - good advertising campaign and released subtitled and uncut.

and while I had no real problem with Hero (didn't care for the movie really, but I mean the cutting) in terms of cutting and what not. I never did quite understand Miramax's need to "Cut" everything.
Old 05-18-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What was the issue with Miramax? Have they made any changes to Hero?
Old 05-18-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by filmerp
What was the issue with Miramax? Have they made any changes to Hero?
Let's hope not.
Old 05-18-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zhang Yimou's beef with Miramax is that Miramax kept on pushing the film release date to almost a year and a half. The rest of the world has already seen the film theatrically except for the US market. Eventually, the official dvds were released after a long wait. Miramax then just opted to just release the movie straight to dvds since it seems they were having a hard time thinking of a way to market the film. I guess they were trying to make "Hero" out to be the next "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

Considering almost all positive and raving reviews, Miramax still held on to Hero without any release date. There was talk to market the film as an all-out action movie titled "Jet Li' Hero."

Miramax basically gave up on Hero when the film failed to garner the best foreign film award in the last Oscars.

Although Miramax did contribute to the production costs, they also imposed on the director to trim the film down from the original 118 mins to 90 mins.
Old 05-18-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good thing I already have my HK DVD! Does this mean it's not even getting a theatrical run stateside?
Old 05-18-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I have no love for Miramax they did what all studios do when they pay for a movie, all directors get pushed to edit films down. Only thing they did wrong in my opinion is sit on the movie for so long. I for one found the movie long enough already but disagreed with the blatantly misleading and spoiler-filled advertising for this movie when KB Volume 2 aired, also with attaching Tarantino's name with it.
Old 05-18-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Yeah, it's seems that Zhang has replaced his original muse with a new one.
Old 05-18-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will rent it as long as Geena Davis is in it again.
Old 05-18-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that like the 100th Hero/Yimou, Hero/Hoffmann joke?
Old 05-18-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Miramax basically gave up on Hero when the film failed to garner the best foreign film award in the last Oscars.

it was nominated in 2003 i think.
Old 05-18-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Debaser
Michael Bay, Zack Snyder, Marcus Nispel, Paul Thomas Anderson, George Lucas and Brett Ratner.
Thanks for posting that. Zack Snyder for Dawn of the Dead (2004)? Marcus Nispel for TCM (2003)? Brett Ratner for Rush Hour 1&2 and Red Dragon? These are you favorite filmmakers and you come in here and bitch about Tarantino?

purplechoe puts Debaser on list of people never to take advice on movies or anything else for that matter.
Old 05-18-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally posted by purplechoe
Thanks for posting that. Zack Snyder for Dawn of the Dead (2004)? Marcus Nispel for TCM (2003)? Brett Ratner for Rush Hour 1&2 and Red Dragon? These are you favorite filmmakers and you come in here and bitch about Tarantino?

purplechoe puts Debaser on list of people never to take advice on movies or anything else for that matter.
Old 05-18-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by purplechoe

Are some of you people thick?

If you couldn't see the inherent irony of the directors I listed as my favorite then dear lord how/who could take any of your advice as well.

Stop with the personal attacks. It's pathetic. This just further illustrates that some(not all) Quentin Tarantino fans are disgustingly the new 'trekkie' like dorks.

The master dork 'Tarantino' has very loyal servants apparently.
Old 05-18-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Are some of you people thick?

If you couldn't see the inherent irony of the directors I listed as my favorite then dear lord how/who could take any of your advice as well.

Stop with the personal attacks. It's pathetic. This just further illustrates that some(not all) Quentin Tarantino fans are disgustingly the new 'trekkie' like dorks.

The master dork 'Tarantino' has very loyal servants apparently.
Uh, actually, it's more like their basically saying you don't know what the hell you're talking about.........esepcailly without backing up your argument.

Just watched the trailer again, looks great.
Old 05-18-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, "Hero" looks rad--the staging/cinematography look incredible. Saw the trailer before "Kill Bill, vol. 2," and the shot of the warrior walking down stairs, surrounded by and army took my breath away.

So, hate away, but Tarantino's doing cool stuff getting films released in the U.S. that either wouldn't be released at all, or would be released edited and dubbed. Maybe he has the clout to get Miramax to release the "Battle Royale" films released theatrically in the U.S., considering he used a star from the first film to play GoGo Yaburi.

And I think Tarantino has made it clear that he takes from his favorite films to produce his own.

It's not a valid argument to claim that something is artistically vacant because it is based on another work of art. There are great films based on written works (i.e. "L.A. Confidential," "Wonder Boys"), great films inspired by written works (i.e. "Igby Goes Down," "Apocalypse Now"), and films better than their written source material (i.e. "The Shawshank Redemption," "Die Hard").

There are even classic (*gasp!*) films based on the styles and reputations of previous films. Without the German expressionists, their would be no American film noir, and without film noir their would be no Truffaut or Brothers Coen. And without Truffaut, there'd be no Tarantino.

So if your argument is that Tarantino is artistically invalid because he borrows/grabs/steals/pillages from other styles, burn your Kino-produced Murnau dvds. Maybe you can change the past. Just please, don't freak out when the Reservoir Dogs say, "You're under arrest, SUGAR!" Because without them, you wouldn't know that Pam Grier and Richard Roundtree are cool.
Old 05-18-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cupcake jesus
Yeah, "Hero" looks rad--the staging/cinematography look incredible. Saw the trailer before "Kill Bill, vol. 2," and the shot of the warrior walking down stairs, surrounded by and army took my breath away.

So, hate away, but Tarantino's doing cool stuff getting films released in the U.S. that either wouldn't be released at all, or would be released edited and dubbed. Maybe he has the clout to get Miramax to release the "Battle Royale" films released theatrically in the U.S., considering he used a star from the first film to play GoGo Yaburi.

And I think Tarantino has made it clear that he takes from his favorite films to produce his own.

It's not a valid argument to claim that something is artistically vacant because it is based on another work of art. There are great films based on written works (i.e. "L.A. Confidential," "Wonder Boys"), great films inspired by written works (i.e. "Igby Goes Down," "Apocalypse Now"), and films better than their written source material (i.e. "The Shawshank Redemption," "Die Hard").

There are even classic (*gasp!*) films based on the styles and reputations of previous films. Without the German expressionists, their would be no American film noir, and without film noir their would be no Truffaut or Brothers Coen. And without Truffaut, there'd be no Tarantino.

So if your argument is that Tarantino is artistically invalid because he borrows/grabs/steals/pillages from other styles, burn your Kino-produced Murnau dvds. Maybe you can change the past. Just please, don't freak out when the Reservoir Dogs say, "You're under arrest, SUGAR!" Because without them, you wouldn't know that Pam Grier and Richard Roundtree are cool.
Hopefully you have ended the dumbness with your post - I didn't do it a lot ealrier because I didn't have the energy.

Quote:

the warrior walking down stairs, surrounded by and army took my breath away.

same here, it's one of the reasons why I keep watching the trailer over and over again
Old 05-19-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully you have ended the dumbness with your post - I didn't do it a lot ealrier because I didn't have the energy.

Quote:

the warrior walking down stairs, surrounded by and army took my breath away.

same here, it's one of the reasons why I keep watching the trailer over and over again
Nope. He still a worthless hack. My opinion. Won't change. So stop now.

Hopefully I won't be subjected to your reactionary self serving opinions in other threads.
Old 05-19-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope. He still a worthless hack. My opinion. Won't change. So stop now.

Hopefully I won't be subjected to your reactionary self serving opinions in other threads.
I honestly have no idea where you are coming from and I could care less (really, I could care less) so I guess I will stop now.

If you want to argue then open your own thread to do it - I'm sure all one of you will attend.

Talk about Hero only in this thread from here on out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.