Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

HELLBOY 2 happening (merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

HELLBOY 2 happening (merged)

Old 08-04-06, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
Hellboy 2 has officially been picked up by Universal and is set for a Summer 2008 release! I'm totally pumped, been following news of a Hellboy sequal for a long time. Those animated movies sound cool, but this is what every fan was waiting for!

Universal picks up Hellboy 2 (Superherohype.com)
Old 08-04-06, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Great news!
Old 08-09-06, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plot details for Hellboy 2 (spoilers):
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24113
Old 08-09-06, 04:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Del Toro ROCKS! I wish he was a little more active though. Looks like he will be busy for the next couple years but I have been waiting for something to come out for a while.
Old 08-09-06, 05:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't wait.
Old 08-09-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by elperdido
Del Toro ROCKS!
I couldn't agree more. Very passionate and well-read. I always try to catch his panels at Comic-Con... very entertaining.
Old 08-09-06, 07:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I couldn't agree more. Very passionate and well-read. I always try to catch his panels at Comic-Con... very entertaining.
He is from Mexico? I somehow thought he was from Spain
Old 08-09-06, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

He's Mexican.
Old 08-15-06, 05:46 AM

new interview with Del Toro:
http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=861
Old 08-15-06, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taken from the interview: "Kroenen is back in a very small sort of cameo appearance"

Sweeeeeet!
Old 10-17-06, 05:14 PM

http://movies.ign.com/articles/739/739228p1.html

Exclusive: Hellboy 2 Leads to Hellboy 3
Seeds for a third film planted in part two.
by Scott Collura

October 17, 2006 - Director Guillermo del Toro will likely be enjoying the Oscar limelight in early 2007, as his Pan's Labyrinth is expected to be a shoe-in for a Best Foreign Language Film nomination, but the filmmaker may be too busy to enjoy the accolades at that time. That's because production on his long-awaited sequel to Hellboy is currently scheduled to start shooting in January in Europe.

"We are in preproduction," del Toro tells IGN of the film, which many observers had come to believe would never get a greenlight. "Both with Hellboy 1 and Hellboy 2, they happened right at the moment when we said, 'They're not happening. It looks like we better move on.' And at that moment something happened that made them go ahead. We have Francisco Ruiz Velasco, Wayne Barlowe, TyRuben Ellingson, [and] Mike Mignola designing creatures right now, and we have the movie being budgeted in London and in Budapest. We hope to start shooting next year."

Most of the stars of the 2004 film will be back, including Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, and Doug Jones, though del Toro says that Jones might actually get to voice his Abe Sapien creature-sidekick this time out (David Hyde Pierce dubbed over Jones in the first film): "He'll get another chance and I am, let's say, 90% sure that he'll nail it. But I don't want to get the pressure off the guy yet!" Additionally, del Toro says that — in a rare show of Hollywood restraint — the sequel's budget will be around $70 million, which is very close to that of the first film.

"Universal came to us," the director recalls. "When they read the script and heard the number, they were interested. Because people saw that we gave a lot of value for the $66 million of Hellboy. We essentially had an O.K. theatrical run, nothing spectacular, but we did incredibly well on DVD, so the movie made its money and some. We did very good in ancillary markets. We did very good in replay on cable and so forth, and toys and this and that. And I think that Universal is interested in the fact that now they can have a franchise that they enjoy for a price they will never feel guilty about."

The question must be raised then: Does that mean a Hellboy 3 is in the works? Del Toro concedes that he has an idea of where he would take a third film in the series.

"I've talked to [Hellboy creator Mike] Mignola about the third one. He seemed to like [my idea], and that is that the way the love story would pay off in the third movie would be completely unexpected," hints del Toro. "I knew what I wanted to do on the first one, but I had no idea if we ever would get to do a second one. And now that we are I really am laying down the breadcrumbs that will lead you to a very, very — hopefully — powerful denouement of that loving couple."

Which isn't to say that Hellboy 2: The Golden Army will be a cliffhanger. Whether or not a third film in the series gets made will come down to how part two performs financially (after all, Universal had no problem killing another would-be franchise recently, Josh Whedon's Serenity, when it underperformed), and del Toro knows that better than anyone.

"The second one is self-contained and if we never get to do the third one there's only one element that people will have hanging where they will go, 'Oh Jesus, I wish they had done a third one.' But if not, it's fine," says del Toro, before adding with a grin, "If anyone listening has $80 million, we can assure you we can do a third one."

For an idea on where del Toro would like to take Hellboy in future installments, check out yesterday's "Exclusive: Hellboy vs. the Universal Monsters?"

http://movies.ign.com/articles/739/739203p1.html
Old 10-17-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
(after all, Universal had no problem killing another would-be franchise recently, Josh Whedon's Serenity, when it underperformed)
Of course it might have faired better had Universal put more than a half-hearted effort in marketing the film. Which begs the question: how well will they market Hellboy 2: The Golden Army? Because I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as Serenity.
Old 10-17-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Serenity also suffered from the fact that you had to watch an entire season of a show to not feel a little left out.

Hellboy on the other hand can be enjoyed with or without reading the comics.

Congrats to Del Toro for being able to pick up where he left off. He has a mouth of a sailor and a bear hug that will drain you of air.
Old 10-18-06, 05:10 AM
Banned by request

I never watched one episode of Firefly and Serenity made perfect sense (and was emotionally resonant) to me.

As for Hellboy 2, bring it on!
Old 12-20-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
LATEST NEWS

12/20/06
Fango spoke with director Guillermo del Toro recently, where he revealed that they are still issues with the budget, but the plan is to start casting in January and begin filming in May or June.

UPCOMINGHORRORMOVIES.com
Old 12-20-06, 11:06 PM

Totally forgot about the first one until I saw this. It's been added to my queue.
Old 12-21-06, 08:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by elperdido
Del Toro ROCKS! I wish he was a little more active though. Looks like he will be busy for the next couple years but I have been waiting for something to come out for a while.
'active'? he's got around three films including the Hellboy sequel in various states of production - the coolest of which IMO an adaptation of H.P Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness - bring that puppy on

I just saw his latest 'Pan's Labyrinth' with a post Q&A with Del Toro, and he's a hoot, ... and he cusses alot.
Old 12-21-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm guessing it did pretty well on DVD.

Damn good news. Never saw the theatrical version of the original, but I loved the extended cut.
Old 03-08-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Production To Begin By Late May

Ron Perlman, who stars in Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, told L.A. Times that the film will start shooting around the end of May. "I'm already in the gym six days a week," he says. "The push-ups, the sit-ups, the stationary bike. Then, of course, there's the lifting of the pizza."

The actor also adds that he thinks del Toro is on a "creative hot streak" since making Pan's and that Hellboy 2 will have an epic quality while continuing to "explore all the things that are great about this character -- a superhero who is such an underachiever and such an adolescent."

COUNTINGDOWN.com
Old 03-08-07, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

Fuckin' aye, man.
Old 03-10-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is great news. I thought the first film was one of the best superhero films.
Old 03-13-07, 05:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Loved Ron as HELLBOY !!!
Old 03-13-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
"Hellboy" is one of those movies for me that gets better with each viewing. I didn't see it in the theater and bought the DVD as a blind purchase, and loved it. Watched it again about nine months later and thought "This is better than I remember". And have the same feeling every time I watch.
Old 03-13-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"Hellboy" is one of those movies for me that gets better with each viewing. I didn't see it in the theater and bought the DVD as a blind purchase, and loved it. Watched it again about nine months later and thought "This is better than I remember". And have the same feeling every time I watch.

I agree. I am looking forward to this...I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but it always seems like Del Torro's movies are just an inch away from being classics. I always like them a lot, but something always leaves me wanting a little bit more. I mean he is great at creating a world, but the stories always just seem to be not quite there. Hopefully this one knocks it out of the park.
Old 03-13-07, 10:29 AM
Banned

YAYYY!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.