Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the goriest, most actual horrifying Horror movie on DVD?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-10-04, 08:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 334 Likes on 296 Posts

Something that is truly gory and terrifying that can be had on DVD. I know it is said that Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive" aka "Braindead" is considered one of the goriest, but that is more comedy horror. I am talking something that is real horror and scary and truly gory and all that, if such a DVD exists. Thanks in advance for suggestions...
Old 05-10-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gory and scary,
last house on the left
battle royale
dawn of the dead original (yeah its not scary by any means, but it still is gory)
Old 05-10-04, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exorcist 1,poltergeist 1 and friday the 13th 1,if thier are others I like to know.
Old 05-10-04, 10:05 PM

Pick up "Traces of Death" or "Faces of Death", both are gory and horrifying.
Old 05-10-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 148 Posts
I would have to give my vote to the movie MANIAC.
Old 05-10-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nekromantik is always good for a laugh...and a puke. films in the Guinea Pig series, like Flowers Of Flesh and Blood...are pretty cool. check out the Men Behind the Sun series too. Andreas Schnass directs some brutal gore...try The Violent Shit Trilogy. I just grabbed August Underground's Mordum a few weeks ago. this title has had problems crossing borders....it borders on snuff and is not for everyone.

go HERE for a write up of AUM.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-10-04 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 10:08 PM

Cannibal Holocaust..........get the R0 remastered 16.9 EC Entertainment release for the full uncut uncensored version of the film.

One of the most disturbing films ever made.
Old 05-10-04, 10:15 PM

Rob Zombies "House of 1000 Corpse" was pretty gory and disturbing, can't wait for the Directors Uncut release to come out.
Dee Sniders "Strangeland" was another disturbing movie.
Must be some relation to Metal Music and Horror movies to make these singers put out these movies.
Old 05-10-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Cannibal Holocaust..........get the R0 remastered 16.9 EC Entertainment release for the full uncut uncensored version of the film.

One of the most disturbing films ever made.
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
this one? any place to get it cheaper?
Old 05-10-04, 10:22 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

This isn't a thread crap. But I'd argue for The Passion of the Christ. A film that surely would've been NC-17 or beyond if the names of its protagonist and director had been changed.
Old 05-10-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gory and scary rarely go hand in hand, imho. The movies that are "truly" scary are the ones that are about atmosphere and tension, not severed limbs and sliced throats.
Old 05-10-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

gut has a nice list, some really twisted shit in there...

Also agree with Julie to an extent on Cannibal Holocaust... Although, the most disturbing aspects of that film are the animal killings... Despite that, Holocaust is actually a pretty decent film, although some of the subject matter (rape and animal snuff) is a bit hard to sit through with a smile on your face... (pay attention to the last bit of the film if you've ever seen Blair Witch)

Maniac has a few good scenes, Savini's shotgun to the face scene is wicked. So-so, at best, film otherwise.

But a lot of the above (and the Holywood fare like Hellraiser, etc) fall under "goriest" and "shocking", not "horrifying"... My definition of "horror" is more psychological... Not sure what to add to the list in that regard... Maybe later.
Old 05-10-04, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by caiman
atmosphere and tension
in that case...I suggest Jacobs Ladder and Dont Look Now. also...The Other from 1972...but it's not on dvd yet.
Old 05-10-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
[B]Nekromantik is always good for a laugh...and a puke. films in the Guinea Pig series, like Flowers Of Flesh and Blood...are pretty cool. check out the Men Behind the Sun series too. Andreas Schnass directs some brutal gore...try The Violent Shit Trilogy. I just grabbed August Underground's Mordum a few weeks ago. this title has had problems crossing borders....it borders on snuff and is not for everyone.
hey gutwrencher, that mordum movie whats the cheapest price to get it at. looks kind of interesting.
Old 05-10-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah i was thinking the same about the AUM movie too...
Old 05-10-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am talking something that is real horror and scary and truly gory and all that, if such a DVD exists.

Such a movie does exist on dvd - John Carpenter's The Thing - a well-made, extremely gory, tension filled, atmospheric, and scary masterpiece.
Old 05-10-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surprised no ones mentioned Day of the Dead yet. Not just the gore, but the general atmosphere certainly freaked me out when I first saw it.

Of course, it's probably tame compared to some of the titles mentioned above.
Old 05-10-04, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by asianxcore
hey gutwrencher, that mordum movie whats the cheapest price to get it at. looks kind of interesting.
you would have to search yerself for the cheapest. I'm loyal to xploited.com. great service and super fast shipping.
Old 05-10-04, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Mountain Biker
Such a movie does exist on dvd - John Carpenter's The Thing - a well-made, extremely gory, tension filled, atmospheric, and scary masterpiece.
I agree. great film and worth repeated viddies.
Old 05-10-04, 11:27 PM

another, more tame fave of mine is City of the Living Dead from Fulci. nice gore combined with spooky-ass atmosphere. in my book...it's a classic.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-10-04 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gory and scary rarely go hand in hand, imho. The movies that are "truly" scary are the ones that are about atmosphere and tension, not severed limbs and sliced throats.
Some of the scariest/creepiest movies I've seen have little/no blood in them (the exception is Cabin Fever but that's scary in the "it could happen and this how we would probably react" sense ). Overall though the gore actually pulls me away from the horror and reminds me it's just a movie. Same thing w/ most monster flix, when you see the creature (the dog thing in The Thing) a lot of times I just start
Old 05-10-04, 11:28 PM

Put Bud Dwyer's suicide on a loop - that's all you'll need.
Old 05-10-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts
Great post, gut. Thanks for the links to Mordum. I followed it to ToeTag Pictures and I see their website is looking better than the last time I was there. I'll be getting Mordum now

I see you have to send email at ToeTag on ordering August Underground. I'll have to give that a shot soon too.

On a related note, I keep checking at glasseyepix website for news about getting all 3 Douglas Buck's flicks on DVD...Cutting Moments being one of them. Hopefully soon!

Last edited by TomOpus; 05-10-04 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 11:42 PM

hook up with some Dario Argento. something you may like, Nonhosonno is worth seeking out as an import. avoid the R1 release, titled Sleepless...it's pan and scam only. again, it's a nice mix and a personal, well loved fave.

Old 05-10-04, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Great post, gut. Thanks for the links to Mordum. I followed it to ToeTag Pictures and I see their website is looking better than the last time I was there. I'll be getting Mordum now

right on, brother...right on.

don't say I didn't warn you. now if Charlie Sheen had of seen this...he would have dropped dead on the spot of a heart-attack.

ToeTag had a contest going...maybe they still do. you could win a chance to be murdered on screen for the next film. a nice, brutal slaying of your own choice. something like that. I love those guys!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.