Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you more into directors or actors?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What do are more "into"?
Specific actors
17.57%
Specific directors
66.22%
The "obvious answer"
6.76%
Other (maybe more into film genres than either the specific actor/director)
9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if this is going to make a good poll or not since the obvious answer is I like the actors I like and I like the directors I like. I just thought it interesting when thinking about the "lady director" poll that I while I can name about a dozen or so actors I really like and will usually try to catch whatever they do, there are only maybe a handful of directors I can name and say the same thing about. In part it might be because I'll watch a movie and enjoy it but I'm not really cognizant of the director behind it where the actor is obvious

Maybe a better way of phrasing it is are there more directors you "track" or actors?

Last edited by nemein; 05-06-04 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-06-04, 10:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theres some directors that i will see their film even if it looks like crap.

while i love actors as well, im not going to see a movie just because philip seymour hoffman is in it, though he is my favorite actor. but if its directed by PTA, i'll be there opening day.
Old 05-06-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by whynotsmile

while i love actors as well, im not going to see a movie just because philip seymour hoffman is in it, though he is my favorite actor. but if its directed by PTA, i'll be there opening day.
Yep'.
Old 05-06-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely directors.

I have actually been questioned by other people as to why I would watch certain movies that show no commercial value whatsoever for them and/or feature an actor/actress that is either not well-liked or totally unknown. And I always tell them I liked the director's past work which usually keeps 'em quiet after.

I guess the films I would watch based on the actors alone are two Japanese actors: Hiroyuki Sanada (Twilight Samurai, The Last Samurai) and Tadanobu Asano (Ichi the Killer, Zatoichi).
Old 05-06-04, 01:12 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
To respond to this, I'd like to quote another DVD Talker (I think it was Pants, my favorite source of quotes):

"I care about directors. Actors are nothing but walking, talking props."

I probably paraphrased horribly, and if I misattributed it, my apologies.

I'll take it further - I'm more into cinematographers, editors, and production designers than actors.
Old 05-06-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
"Other" with leanings toward director. Shymalan and Spielberg I'll keep an open mind, most directors I'll consider the genre and the reviews, but I don't follow actors.
Old 05-06-04, 02:00 PM
SeeNo Member

IMO directors make the movie good not the actors.
Old 05-06-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I went other, simply because neither is a guarantee about the quality of a movie. I've been let down by both.
Old 05-06-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kinyo
IMO directors make the movie good not the actors.
This seems to be a rather broad, and in my opinion, unjustified statement of opinion. Take a drama film, for instance, that carefully studies its characters. The acting in that picture would be important. To shrug them off seems a bit unfair.

That said, I often see films because of both actors and directors.
Old 05-06-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually specific actors.
Old 05-06-04, 02:36 PM
Banned

It depends by director can make actors good and actors can make movie better. e.g Johnny Depp in Pirates or Denzel Washington in Training Day. Those movies could have sucked if not for the actors. Now Wes Anderson can make Owen Wilson look good in any movie even though I don't think Wilson is that great of an actor.
Old 05-06-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's tough it's really hit or miss. Because I watched the horrible Femme Fatale last night and then was surprised when it was directed by a Criterion director Brian De Palma. So many directors fall from grace. But then again I like watching Tom Hanks sometimes he comes out with stinkers. Its kinda mixed. Overall I'd still have to go with directors because I can count directors I like to keep making decent films..P.T. Anderson, Wes Anderson, Spielberg, Shyamalan but I can't always count on Johnny Depp to be in decent films.
Old 05-06-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually don't follow anyone around, though I did find Morgan Freeman to pretty much be the highlight of any film he was in and make it worth while. That was until I saw Dreamcatcher.
Old 05-06-04, 04:02 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Because I watched the horrible Femme Fatale last night and then was surprised when it was directed by a Criterion director Brian De Palma.
I'm sure your fingers must have slipped on the keyboard when your were typing how you were watching de Palma's brilliant film Femme Fatale.

I realize that many people hated this film, but there are a sizable number of us who consider it a near masterpiece, and one of de Palma's best films.
Old 05-06-04, 04:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well that depends... on which the situation is, er discussion... oh nevermind.
Old 05-06-04, 04:15 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Directors for sure.
Old 05-06-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also into director more. I'll watch movies by certain director just because I enjoyed that director's past work.

Now on a related question, does the producer or director have more to do with a movie success? The academy give award to the producers for best pictures. So the producers seems to have more affect on a movie. So how come I never hear of people that follow particular producers' works?
Old 05-06-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by whynotsmile

This is it exactly. While a particular actor may make me more likely to see a movie, it's not an absolute. Deniro is my favorite actor, but I'm not gonna touch Godsend with a ten foot pole. Directors are another story.
Old 05-06-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's more likely I will go see a film because of who directed it rather than who stars in it.
Old 05-06-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every actor will have his share of stinkers, so going to see a film just because they're in it is too risky. I'll go with directors, but only a handfull. For instance, I'll go to see a David Fincher film by default. It really doesn't matter what the film is about, I'm there.
Old 05-07-04, 03:13 AM
Cool New Member

Directors definately. I have a hard time getting over the "fame" of famous actors. It interferes with me thinking of them as a character. I feel bad when an actor gets famous. It makes their job that much more difficult.
Old 05-07-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am much more likely to go see a film based on who the actor is. Robert Rodriguez (not counting Spy Kids) and Quentin Tarantino may be my only exceptions. I just think that directors do not have the star quality that actors have.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 05-07-04 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-07-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mookiemeister
I'm also into director more. I'll watch movies by certain director just because I enjoyed that director's past work.

Now on a related question, does the producer or director have more to do with a movie success? The academy give award to the producers for best pictures. So the producers seems to have more affect on a movie. So how come I never hear of people that follow particular producers' works?
The academy gives Best Picture to producers because they are the ones that get the film made. They are the top bosses on a set and off one.
Old 05-07-04, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never realized how much in the minority (atleast around here ) I was... This turned out to be an interesting poll after all, if I do say so myself
Old 05-07-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cokekiller
Directors definately. I have a hard time getting over the "fame" of famous actors. It interferes with me thinking of them as a character. I feel bad when an actor gets famous. It makes their job that much more difficult.
Don't worry, I'm sure they feel just as bad when the become famous.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.