Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ripley's Game Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ripley's Game Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 11:12 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Ripley's Game Trailer

Not sure about the trailer, or what's really going on in the movie, but I love Malkovich in anything. And Ray Winstone was brilliant in Sexy Beast

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fineli...leys_game.html
Old 12-03-02, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As soon as I read this I thought of another Alien movie. Why does Hollywood have to re-use names epsecially ones that have become incredibly popular. I swear there's no originality left out there.
Old 12-03-02, 01:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I assume you are talking about Alien then using the name Ripley.

As the 1st Ripley book was written in 1955

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/highsm.htm
In 1957 Highsmith won the French Grand Prix de Litterature Policiere and the British Crime Writers Association awarded her a Silver Dagger in 1964. Her most popular character is Tom Ripley, a small-time con man and bisexual serial killer, who was introduced to the world in THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY (1955).
Old 12-03-02, 03:22 PM
Banned

Yes, but an argument can be made that the name Ripley (film wise) is more synonomous (sp?) with the Alien movies. As they are more well-known. I assume..I'm gonna stop talking now as I'm starting to lose my mind.
Old 12-03-02, 03:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Could be so, but Ripley to me is not alien, it's Talented mr. Ripley.
might make an interestin poll though
Old 12-03-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ripley's Game is the name of an old book. How could it be a cash-in on Alien? What about Ripley's Believe It Or Not?
Old 12-03-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lesterlong
As soon as I read this I thought of another Alien movie. Why does Hollywood have to re-use names epsecially ones that have become incredibly popular. I swear there's no originality left out there.

wow.. So once a movie uses a name they should never use it again?

Damn, hollywood has no originality, I heard the name Bill and Bob a billion times!! Get some new names hollywood!
Old 06-19-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What happened to Ripley's Game with John Malkovich

I had heard of this in production but I never saw it released. Did I miss it or has it been delayed? IMDB shows that it was never released here.

Has anyone seen it?

Thanks.

stoolie
Old 06-19-03, 08:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's a good article on the problems the film is having getting released. It's been in the can for some time now:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/elsewhere/63.html

If you are curious, you could always check Wim Wenders The American Friend on DVD, which is based on the same book and features Dennis Hopper as Ripley.
Old 06-19-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Here's a good article on the problems the film is having getting released. It's been in the can for some time now:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/elsewhere/63.html

If you are curious, you could always check Wim Wenders The American Friend on DVD, which is based on the same book and features Dennis Hopper as Ripley.
Thanks.
Old 06-19-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Yes, thank you. As a big fan of Minghella's "Ripley" I have been looking forward to this for some time. I though Malcovich was a great casting choice. I hope to be able to see it before too long.

BTW : Good article. I like Jeffrey's stuff a lot and am quoted in the current column (though I don't know where he got my location as being Baltimore, it's not even close).
Old 06-19-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's also an article by Kent Jones on page 9 of the May/June issue of Film Comment (Renee Zellwegeris on the cover) in the "Distributor Wanted" column. Jones basically gushes about the film, calling it the closest of the Highsmith adaptations.

It's really one of the best issues they've done in quite a while, you should pick it up.

ah, hell...at the risk of being sued by the Film Society of Lincoln Center:
-----
Distributor Wanted
Ripley's Game
by Kent Jones
Film Comment, May/June 2003

Patricia Highsmith is notorioulsy difficult to adapt to the screen. The material world more or less vanishes in her terse novels, and the reader is left with nothing but the mechanics of human psychology. Reading Highsmith often feels a little too much like sitting through a high school geometry class, but the power of her astringent vision is undeniable. The Talented Mr. Ripley gummed up the works with postcard vistas and modish retro cool, but smart Highsmith adapters, from Hitchcock to Clement, have bypassed her tone and treated her narratives as blueprints.

I'm still in a state of shock and awe over the fact that Liliana Cavani, who once cast Mickey Rourke as St. Francis, is the director who's finally gotten it right. She's taken the plunge into the Highsmith abyss holding hands with John Malkovich, and the source novel for Wim Wenders's beloved American Friend is their jumping-off point.

Ripley's Game is one tough movie. Where the Wenders is a smorgasbord of emotional and visual grace notes, the Cavani-Malkovich version hits every story point with dry precision, a reasonable facsimile of Highsmithian aridity. Where Wenders fashioned a romantic ballad of two lost soul brothers, Ripley's Game is a scary comedy of manners, recounting the dangerous liaison between a poor sap (Dougray Scott trembles his way through the Bruno Ganz role) and a man who understands the world too well. Malkovich was born to play Ripley. His Martian cranium and pursed lips have never seemed less obtrusive. This is more than perfect casting: he connects with Ripley on such a profound level that every gesture feels exactly right. The performance is a reminder of what a great actor Malkovich can be.

Highsmith fans may complain about the replacement of homoerotic undertones with the creepiest reptilian heterosexuality, but that would be carping. Ripley's Game is a small-scale triumph. So why has it been in limbo for nearly a year?
-----

All typographical errors are mine. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-03, 03:13 AM
Banned

The trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fineli...leys_game.html
Old 09-21-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw that this was on IFC tonight (Saturday) and apparently it never got that distributor that the producers'
had been looking for.

i didn't see the film except for 10 minutes......
Old 09-21-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Man, I wish this would be released, straight to video even. It's probably my favorite of the Ripley books (and I love them all), and Malkovich would be perfect for the role.
Old 09-21-03, 08:55 AM

I just watched this movie the other night. I really enjoyed it - Malkovich was absolutely fantastic. I'm hoping this makes its way to DVD soon. Isn't Fine Line trying to get it out, at least on DVD?
Old 10-15-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see any more showings of RIPLEY'S GAME on IFC for
October.

Does anyone know if they just showed it a couple of times in
Sept. and then they're done with it?

I hope not...
Old 10-15-03, 08:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I just watched it the other night, my friend who gets IFC taped it for me (finally). Unlike "Talented Mr. Ripley" this is a more straight forward story, without the glam and overglossiness. All the leads are terrific: Ray Winstone, Dougray Scott, and Malkovich. The tone and violence is very different from the first film: it's more nihilistic and less catty and 'hip' as compared to Matt Damon's portrayal of Tom. In short I liked it more than 'Talented'
Old 10-15-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure somebody will release it on DVD in the next year or so.
I'm hoping for that at least.
Old 10-15-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boy, it's annoying to me that crap like "House of the Dead" or "Grind" can get theatrical releases and something like this, based on a very popular series of books and with a pretty well known cast, can't. State of the nation I guess.
Old 10-15-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
According to one site, it is going direct to video sometime soon. This was updated on August 11th, so I am assuming that it's correct.
Old 10-16-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this on IFC a couple of weeks ago and was wondering where in the heck it came from. Very entertaining. More faithful to the book,I guess, but I liked Wenders' American Friend better. Bruno Ganz + Dennis Hopper + Nicholas Ray? Oh,yeah!
Old 11-11-03, 11:57 AM

Ripley's Game, what happened to it?

I know it exists, I saw the trailer a while back. But then...nothing. No theatrical release, nothing as far as direct to video, just...nothing. Can anyone explain what happened with this because i really wanted to see it and I'm starting to think now that I never will.
Old 11-11-03, 12:23 PM

IFC (Independent Film Channel) aired it back in September...don't know when they plan to air it again. I e-mailed them and asked...but no reply.
Old 11-11-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bump

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.