Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will we ever see "The Sweatbox"? (Disney Documentary)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article outlines how this film came about. It chronicles the making of "Kingdom of the Sun" being scrapped and then turned into "Emperor's New Groove." Best of all, it's not made by Disney, but rather Sting's wife, who got unlimited access to the creative process.
http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=p...rticle_no=1540

I've heard about this documentary now and then, and it apparently screened at a Canadian film festival in 2000, but where can I see it?
Old 04-14-04, 10:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd love to see this myself. I was hoping it would make the Emperor's New Groove DVD, but no dice.
Old 04-15-04, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this in 2003 at the Newport Beach film festival where it was presented improperly.

Despite the poor presentation the film is EXCELLENT. One of the most honest and open examinations of a film in development hell, as well as an expose of the current creative difficulties at Disney. If you wonder why they scrapped their conventional animation department last year this will show you many reasons why.

Great film. I really wonder if it will get a release. Disney is not likely to release it because they don't come off very well. Within the current climate at Disney right now it is EXTREMELY unlikely that they would release it. On the other hand if another distributor wanted to pick it up Disney could block it by refusing to sanction the clips that are used and the intellectual property (ie. conceptual artwork) that is shown throughout the documentary.