DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Friday Estimates for 04/09/04 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/357776-friday-estimates-04-09-04-a.html)

Matthew Chmiel 04-10-04 01:20 PM

Friday Estimates for 04/09/04

1. THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
$6.2 million

2. HELLBOY
$4.0 million

3. THE ALAMO
$3.5 million

4. HOME ON THE RANGE
$3.4 million

5. SCOOBY-DOO 2: MONSTERS UNLEASHED
$3.2 million

6. JOHNSON FAMILY VACATION
$3.1 million

7. WALKING TALL
$3.0 million

8. ELLA ENCHANTED
$2.7 million

9. THE WHOLE TEN YARDS
$2.7 million

10. THE GIRL NEXT DOOR
$2.4 million

11. THE PRINCE AND ME
$2.2 million

12. THE LADYKILLERS
$1.5 million

13. JERSEY GIRL
$1.1 million

Poor The Girl Next Door. :(

Looks like Passion will make it out on top and it'll be a close call between everything else.

The Antipodean 04-10-04 01:32 PM

So it goes for all the pundits who were sure the Passion wouldn't end up #1 again. All the estimate guesses I saw yesterday said Alamo would be #1. There's definitely a disconnect between most of the professional entertainment writers and the people who've made the Passion such a hit -- and I say this as someone who's not seen it and never plans to see it.

RichC2 04-10-04 01:33 PM

Talk about overcrowded.

Impressive for The Passion of the Christ, that has to burn for The Alamo.

The Girl Next Door will be a hit somewhere down the road, even if not in theaters.

Matthew Chmiel 04-10-04 01:39 PM

So it goes for all the pundits who were sure the Passion wouldn't end up #1 again
Yeah. And in Vegas, most theaters only have the film on one screen. With a $6.2 million gross on Friday, I'm sure all of them have already moved it to their biggest screen.

The Girl Next Door will be a hit somewhere down the road, even if not in theaters.
Yeah, probably DVD which should be coming out in three months similar to FOX's last big flop (Club Dread). ;)

Jackskeleton 04-10-04 01:47 PM

Ouch ouch ouch. Good friday seems to be a Good friday for passions. Crowded indeed.

Jackskeleton 04-10-04 02:04 PM

Fox does not look like it will have a good weekend. :(

I'm sure one factor for the failed GRLND is the push back, folks might have been wondering about that as well as no real set target audiance with it looking like another typical teen comedy that is rated R.

ouch ouch ouch.

fumanstan 04-10-04 02:27 PM

Remember the Alamo! Because movie goers sure wont! Zing!

Jackskeleton 04-10-04 02:28 PM

Well the negative buzz on that seems to have been what killed it.. that and the whole knowledge that it was bumped back from christmas.. that and it has billy bob in it.... that and.... :p

RyoHazuki 04-10-04 02:45 PM

I hope that Home on the Range will overtake The Alamo for the number 3 spot.

Deftones 04-10-04 02:49 PM

The Alamo would've done better had it been releases last Christmas when it was intended to be.

matome 04-10-04 02:57 PM

Great for Passion. $400 mil is most certainly attainable. Bomb city for Alamo and the Girl Next Door. Elisha will have to do nudity now to get her next starring role.

Supermallet 04-10-04 03:14 PM

Originally posted by matome
Elisha will have to do nudity now to get her next starring role.
If that truly is the case, then I applaud the whole endeavor!

The LA Times review of The Alamo was entitled, "Forget this Alamo."

RichC2 04-10-04 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
If that truly is the case, then I applaud the whole endeavor!

The LA Times review of The Alamo was entitled, "Forget this Alamo."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheA...22/reviews.php

seems to be a common-themed-quote

scott shelton 04-10-04 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
The Alamo would've done better had it been releases last Christmas when it was intended to be.

That's not true at all.

There was far more competition last holiday.

Jackskeleton 04-10-04 04:14 PM

By pushing it back it makes the crowd wonder. Atleast if it was tossed out then it would have been fresh. Now it's just yesterdays news.

scott shelton 04-10-04 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
By pushing it back it makes the crowd wonder. Atleast if it was tossed out then it would have been fresh. Now it's just yesterdays news.

OK… Fresh, but slaughtered by the stiff competition.

I think you're overestimating the general public's concern with missed released dates.

The media beats the "it's a flop!" drums loudly, but average joe just wants to have a good time at the movie - getting their money's worth.

THE ALAMO just isn't a strong enough film for any season. It just wasn't meant to be.

jaeufraser 04-10-04 04:30 PM

Originally posted by scott shelton
OK… Fresh, but slaughtered by the stiff competition.

I think you're overestimating the general public's concern with missed released dates.

The media beats the "it's a flop!" drums loudly, but average joe just wants to have a good time at the movie - getting their money's worth.

THE ALAMO just isn't a strong enough film for any season. It just wasn't meant to be.

I agree. While the missed release date prolly would've have brought a little more cash (just cause more people have time to go see stuff in the winter), this film was never really that interesting to a lot of people. And I don't really think it ever had a chance of making a lot of money. I know I never intended to watch it. And I watch every big budget movie these days.

Jackskeleton 04-10-04 04:31 PM

The advertisement for the december release play the factor. Much like with Girl Next door, it's been advertised so much since it had such a long time to run that people already believe that it came and went some time ago.

But I will agree that the alamo is just bad over all.

moocher 04-10-04 09:56 PM

I predict that this is another weekend they will have to make a big correction for Sunday numbers when the actuals come out on Monday. They might not miss it by 8 mil like they did the first weekend but look for them to have to correct whatever they estimate for Sunday upward by a couple of mil. I bet Passion ends up pulling in >20 mil for the weekend.

Alamo opens poorly and bad word of mouth will kill it quickly. No Elisha nudity kills Girl Next Door just as quick. Her "fan" base from 24 would only go see this movie if she stripped or got killed.

Groucho 04-10-04 10:49 PM

Looks like I have a meal for myself Monday after the final weekend estimates are in:

http://www.qsl.net/ve3nzk/wildlife/birds/crow.jpg

Only question left is: how should I prepare it?

Jackskeleton 04-10-04 11:16 PM

save some for me if Passions not only stays in the top five, but is #1 :eek:

Hollywood box office numbers, they are one unpredictable bitch.

bsktballDude1 04-11-04 12:40 AM

It's a shame to NOT see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind anywhere.:(

jekbrown 04-11-04 12:45 AM

who was it that was saying that the alamo was going to take a bite out of the Punisher's opening? LOL!!!!!! Kill Bill might take a small snip-it, but otherwise all is good for the man with the skull on his chest...

j

Supermallet 04-11-04 12:50 AM

Originally posted by jekbrown
who was it that was saying that the alamo was going to take a bite out of the Punisher's opening? LOL!!!!!! Kill Bill might take a small snip-it, but otherwise all is good for the man with the skull on his chest...

j

I think you're underestimating Kill Bill.

Charlie Goose 04-11-04 12:55 AM

These numbers do not give the whole story, we need the per-screen averages to determine what is bombing. Is The Alamo in wide release?