Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Challenge Week 4: The Truth is Stranger

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Challenge Week 4: The Truth is Stranger

Old 03-30-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 546 Posts
Thanks, Giles. I bought Koyanisqatsi and Powaaqqatsi as a box set. And I was going to look up Ron Frick to see what else he'd done.
Old 03-30-04, 11:06 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
so an Imax film (that is usually around 40min) is not considered feature length - I beg to differ.
The criteria for the Academy Awards is 40 minutes. I decided to shoot for docs with a little more run time for this challenge.

I just don't want everybody watching "HBO First Look: Dude, Where's My Car".
Old 03-30-04, 11:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Danger
For people looking for more documentary suggestions, some of my favorite documentaries.

When We Were Kings. The Mohammed Ali / George Foreman fight in Zaire. It was the first time I understood the attraction people had for Ali.
Theramin. The story of the inventor of the first electronic musical instrument, who was kidnapped from Brooklyin on Stalin's orders.
The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl. The life of a woman who went from glamour star, to top director, to Nazi supporter (or not), to shunned woman. She took up scuba diving in her 80s and took amazing underwater photos.
Fast, Cheap and Out of Control. Intelligent robots, naked mole rats, lion-taming, and topiaries.
Hoop Dreams. A moviemaker lives with two families for years as two slum boys are sucked into the world of big-money high school basketball. Ebert's all-time favorite documentary.
of the films you have listed I have only seen "Leni" and "Hoop Dreams" .

Documentary films I would have to say are my favourite genre. Am looking forward to this year's American Film Institute's SilverDoc Film Festival (June 15-20th), since last years selection was very impressive.

SilverDocs
Old 03-30-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
I just don't want everybody watching "HBO First Look: Dude, Where's My Car".
Crap!! <talemyn wanders off to find another documentary to watch . . .>

Old 03-30-04, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd suggest people watch Triumph of the Will. Absolutely amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025913/
Old 03-30-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh and one more question regarding elegibilty. are these two elegible
we stand alone, the men of easy company. its about 80 min and features no footage from band of brothers from what i hear.
Old 03-30-04, 09:00 PM

you also don't mention if tv docu's cant be counted so I could technically include the NOVA docu on the Tornado chasers or Frontline's well reviewed 'Ghosts of Rwanda' docu on Thursday night.

Last edited by Giles; 03-30-04 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-30-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How about Beyond the Mat?
Old 03-30-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quake, that sounds perfectly acceptible.
Old 03-30-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good . Gives me a reason to tear that sucker open and watch it.
Old 03-31-04, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I was going to watch "Night & Fog" (since I already have it in my collection but haven't watched it yet) but it's shorter than 60 minutes.

I've already seen "The Fog of War" recently - so I'll Netflix "Winged Migration" and "Crumb."
Old 03-31-04, 08:16 AM
Banned

i watched a boys life: america undercover on hbo yesterday. it was alright, but it does give a bad rep to southern families.
Old 03-31-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does Pumping Iron count?
Old 03-31-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'd assume. Groucho, we need you back here, to say exactly what is legal and what's not.
Old 03-31-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After all this talk of documentaries, I should break "New York" the PBS series with Ric Burns out of it's wrapping soon.

Been meaning to, but the 13+ hours is putting me off an immediate viewing.
Old 04-01-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched Theremin - An Electronic Odyssey, the life of the inventor of the first electronic musical instrument (it makes that 'other-worldly' music in Day the Earth Stood Still, The Lost Weekend, etc.). He had a very interesting & sad life. After years as a successful inventor/musician in America, the KGB abducted him to work on electronic eavesdropping devices back in the U.S.S.R. It's not all heavy going though; Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) provides some comic relief. My only complaint would be that Theremin's English is difficult to understand and should have been subtitled (I can't read French or Spanish, so the R1 DVD didn't help me). Overall it was a positive experience though.
Old 04-01-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
My Architect A Son's Journey (2003)

Director: Nathaniel Kahn

Suppose you are a film maker and discover that the father you hardly knew was famous? You would probably make a movie about him, but Nathaniel Kahn did more than just a tribute to the famous architect Louis I. Kahn, he also told his own story of being rasied by a single mother and his relationship with his mysterious dad who also had 2 daughters (one by his wife and one by another mistress).

Louis Kahn died broke and alone in 1974 when his son was 11. Years later, his grown son sought out his fathers colleagues, friends and relatives while visiting all of the buildings he designed.

An interview with I. M. Pei reveals part of the mystery: Kahn was broke because he put his vision ahead of his clients requirements. The movie has one very amusing interview with a now retired Philadelphia urban planner who battled Kahn over an uban renewal project. Kahn envisioned downtown Philadelphia as a huge pedestrian mall surrounded by parking garages. The planner (who now appears to be in his 90s) still has plenty of venom for both the failed project and Kahn himself.

The buildings that Kahn did complete are sometimes pratical, sometimes not, but always interesting. This link has photos of his work: http://www.greatbuildings.com/archit...s_I._Kahn.html

I personally like the Exeter Library, The Kimbell Museum and the National Assembly in Dacca, Bangladesh. The latter was Kahn's last work and is the house of government in Bangladesh. It was finished after his death.

I probably wouldn't have seen this movie if not for this week's challenge and I'm glad I did. I can highly recommend it to students studying architecture and to viewers interested in profiles of dysfunctional families.

A final note for potential DVD buyers: This movie was filmed and presented in the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Official site: http://www.myarchitectfilm.com/

Last edited by Damfino; 04-01-04 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-01-04, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Damfino
My Architect A Son's Journey (2003)

Director: Nathaniel Kahn

Suppose you are a film maker and discover that the father you hardly knew was famous? You would probably make a movie about him, but Nathaniel Kahn did more than just a tribute to the famous architect Louis I. Kahn, he also told his own story of being rasied by a single mother and his relationship with his mysterious dad who also had 2 daughters (one by his wife and one by another mistress).

Louis Kahn died broke and alone in 1974 when his son was 11. Years later, his grown son sought out his fathers colleagues, friends and relatives while visiting all of the buildings he designed.

An interview with I. M. Pei reveals part of the mystery: Kahn was broke because he put his vision ahead of his clients requirements. The movie has one very amusing interview with a now retired Philadelphia urban planner who battled Kahn over an uban renewal project. Kahn envisioned downtown Philadelphia as a huge pedestrian mall surrounded by parking garages. The planner (who now appears to be in his 90s) still has plenty of venom for both the failed project and Kahn himself.

The buildings that Kahn did complete are sometimes pratical, sometimes not, but always interesting. This link has photos of his work: http://www.greatbuildings.com/archit...s_I._Kahn.html

I personally like the Exeter Library, The Kimbell Museum and the National Assembly in Dacca, Bangladesh. The latter was Kahn's last work and is the house of government in Bangladesh. It was finished after his death.

I probably wouldn't have seen this movie if not for this week's challenge and I'm glad I did. I can highly recommend it to students studying architecture and to viewers interested in profiles of dysfunctional families.

A final note for potential DVD buyers: This movie was filmed and presented in the 4:3 aspect ratio.
This film was so dramatic and fascinating. It really ran the gambit in terms of emotions and character study of Nathaniel's family and specifically his father. The audience I saw it with last December gave the film a standing ovation, since Nathaniel was in attendence and held a Q&A after the screening. This film really hit home for me, since my father was a Historical architect for whom I am very proud to say added the recognition stone of Alaska and Hawaii's statehood on the Lincoln Memorial site.
Old 04-01-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Unless there are any objections, I am going to watch Here's Looking at You, Warner Bros. for my choice. This was included in the Warner Bros. Legends box.

I was going to watch The True Story of Seabiscuit (on the second disc of the Seabiscuit deluxe set,) but it was only 45 minutes.
Old 04-01-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nathaniel was in attendence and held a Q&A after the screening.
Do you remember anything interesting from the Q&A?

I'm curious to know if any of the large number of his un-built projects have been adapted by other architects.
Old 04-01-04, 11:56 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I was going to watch The True Story of Seabiscuit (on the second disc of the Seabiscuit deluxe set,) but it was only 45 minutes.
You aren't missing much. It's pretty crappy and uninformative. Basically, it's clips of the film with interviews of experts who don't tell you anything that wasn't mentioned in the movie itself.
Old 04-01-04, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Damfino
Do you remember anything interesting from the Q&A?

I'm curious to know if any of the large number of his un-built projects have been adapted by other architects.
I have to admit I stayed for only five minutes of the Q&A which was mostly various people praising him for his film, but unfortunately I had tix to the closing night film of the festival across town. This film was part of last December's Washington Jewish Film Festival (and June's SilverDoc Film Festival where it won top award). I am very annoyed I didn't stay longer for the Q&A (I am hoping someone transcribed it), since the film was my favourite of last year.
Old 04-01-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to admit I stayed for only five minutes of the Q&A which was mostly various people praising him for his film, but unfortunately I had tix to the closing night film of the festival across town. This film was part of last December's Washington Jewish Film Festival (and June's SilverDoc Film Festival where it won top award). I am very annoyed I didn't stay longer for the Q&A (I am hoping someone transcribed it), since the film was my favourite of last year.
I couldn't find a transcript, but I did find an official site: http://www.myarchitectfilm.com/
Maybe it's buried there somewhere.
Old 04-02-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I sound like a customer from "Clerks," but here goes: what was the name of the documentary about the guy who bought what was supposed to be a generation-changing novel in the 1960's, didn't like it much, rediscovered it recently, then went on a search for the author/book reviewer? The DVD was reviewed on this site about 3 months ago.

Thanks in advance.

Also, some suggestions from a budding doc fan:

Hoop Dreams
The Thin Blue Line
Hype! (also a concert film, but more about the grunge movement)
Capturing the Friedmans
Startup.com (surprised not to see this listed yet--it's brilliant)
Gimme Shelter
Salesman
Spellbound
The Kid Stays in the Picture (also about movies, but more about Evans's life)

Good challenge this week, Groucho--I've been keeping up, and expanding the collection at the same time!
Old 04-02-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by cupcake jesus
I know I sound like a customer from "Clerks," but here goes: what was the name of the documentary about the guy who bought what was supposed to be a generation-changing novel in the 1960's, didn't like it much, rediscovered it recently, then went on a search for the author/book reviewer? The DVD was reviewed on this site about 3 months ago.
NAVY SEALS!

no . . . Stone Reader

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.