Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Passion of the Christ is a big hit in Lebanon and Syria

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-27-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...0816&printer=1

BEIRUT, (AFP) - Mel Gibson's controversial film "The Passion of the Christ," accused by some Jewish organizations of encouraging anti-Semitism, is drawing a sizeable if unexceptional audience here while apparently touching an emotional nerve in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

AFP/File Photo

"Coming out of the theater ... I saw a lot of people in tears," reported Fayez Wehbe, who saw the film -- with Arabic sub-titles -- in Damascus.

Certain sequences are in Aramaic, the language that was dominant in the Holy Land at the time of Christ and which can still be heard in certain towns in Syria, notably Maalula and Saadnaya near Damascus.

"Some members of the audience could not conceal their astonishment on hearing some expressions -- such as Ya Illah (My God) -- that are close to Arabic," said Wehbe.

Added another Syrian cinema-goer: "The fact that this film is being shown in the current Middle East context, which opposes Israel and the Arabs, explains part of its success."

Given its popularity in Damascus a fourth showing has been added to the three that had been initially offered, with people often buying tickets in the morning to be sure of getting a place.

The film has spawned reams of commentary because of its unflinchingly graphic portrayal of Christ's crucifixion. In some quarters it has been seen as promoting anti-Semitism by a negative depiction of Christ's fellow Jews, while that view has been strongly rejected in others.

Here in Beirut, the film has been warmly received. Lebanon's Maronite church has described it as "impressive" and found it not to be anti-Semitic.

"It is very sad, extremely impressive," commented Cardinal Nasrallah Sfeir, the spiritual head of the Maronite church.

"We don't see any anti-Semitism there."

An official from one of Beirut's larger movie houses said "the public has come in strong numbers to see 'The Passion' but it has not been an exceptional rush."

North of the capital, in the heavily Christian Junieh region, the film is selling well, although it is off limits to youths under the age of 15.

Elsewhere in the Arab world, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) saw the film at his headquarters in Ramallah on the West Bank and pronounced it "moving."

"The Passion of the Christ" will also be shown in Cairo, where it is likewise forbidden to minors because of its violent scenes, starting March 31, and has been available to movie goers in the Gulf state of Qatar since last Sunday.

"We submitted 'The Passion of the Christ' to the censorship committee, which had no objection to its screening" in Qatar, said Abdul Rahman Mohsen, the director general of a private Qatari cinema company.

The committee usually censors scenes or images depicting prophets from the holy books.

The film is being shown three times a day in a cinema in Doha and will be screened for at least one month, Mohsen said.

Three other Gulf states are currently still reviewing the film, he said.

The movie will be shown to the public in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) beginning March 31 after having been given the green light by the ministry of culture and information, the UAE's Gulf News reported Sunday.

Other than Muslims believing in Jesus, they are surprised by the fact that Jesus calls God, Illah. Which is very close to Allah.
Old 03-29-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, interesting. It doesn't surprise me that it's a hit in Syria and Lebanon, particularly, since those are the two Arab countries that have the largest Christian-Arab populations.

Still haven't seen the movie yet, but--like many things--I've been meaning to "get to it." =P
Old 03-29-04, 10:45 AM

I love how in the FIRST paragraph, they say its controversial and accused of anti-semitism. Unbelievable! The movie has been out for weeks in the US and is universally delcared as NOT being anti-semitic. The only reason there's still a controversy is because the press keeps calling it controversial.

This is an example of bad journalism. Once a rumor is proved false, you do not continue to repeat it...unless there's an agenda or bias.
Old 03-29-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by rossi46
I love how in the FIRST paragraph, they say its controversial and accused of anti-semitism. Unbelievable! The movie has been out for weeks in the US and is universally delcared as NOT being anti-semitic.
Boy, this is wrong on several levels. In the first paragraph it does not say this film is accused of anti-semitism but of "encouraging anti-semitism", big difference there. Also, it has not been universally exonerated of these accusations in any way shape and form. Maybe by you and others it has been deemed pure and innocent, but certainly not universal...
Old 03-29-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dave-o
Boy, this is wrong on several levels. In the first paragraph it does not say this film is accused of anti-semitism but of "encouraging anti-semitism", big difference there. Also, it has not been universally exonerated of these accusations in any way shape and form. Maybe by you and others it has been deemed pure and innocent, but certainly not universal...
He could revise it to say "The movie has been out for weeks in the US and is universally delcared as NOT being anti-semitic, with the exception of dave-o and baracine."
Old 03-29-04, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by dave-o
Maybe by you and others it has been deemed pure and innocent, but certainly not universal...
If we all were to think that way, then nothing could be declared universal! Let me ask you - do any articles that discuss missions to the moon mention there are those that believe man landing on the moon was faked? Of course not! Why? Because even though there is a lunatic fringe that will argue against anything, we can say with certainty that man did land on the moon.

Its sad to think that anytime the movie is mentioned the "controversy" and "anti-semitic" baggage will be there as well. All because those in the media with an agenda.
Old 03-29-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If we all were to think that way, then nothing could be declared universal! Let me ask you - do any articles that discuss missions to the moon mention there are those that believe man landing on the moon was faked? Of course not! Why? Because even though there is a lunatic fringe that will argue against anything, we can say with certainty that man did land on the moon.

Its sad to think that anytime the movie is mentioned the "controversy" and "anti-semitic" baggage will be there as well. All because those in the media with an agenda.
Give me a break. The moon landing is a fact. Pure as snow.

Whether or not this movie is anti-semitic is an opinion. You have an opinion, I have an opinion...Mel Gison has an opinion. Rolling Stone has called the Beatles the greatest band in history, but thats an opinion also and I think the Beatles suck.

But any interpretation of a work of art is all opinion. A recorded historical event like the moon landing is a fact, not a work of art, and thus is not subject to opinions.

If you can not see the difference between a fact (moon landing) and an opinion (whether the movie is anti-semitic), then there really is no point discussing the point further.

And secondly, the article does not state the movie is anti-semitic, it says as a fact that the movie is "controversial" And yes, that is a fact, the movie has been controversial.

Last edited by chanster; 03-29-04 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-29-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If we all were to think that way, then nothing could be declared universal!
Yes, nothng should be declared universal, good point.

Let me ask you - do any articles that discuss missions to the moon mention there are those that believe man landing on the moon was faked? Of course not! Why? Because even though there is a lunatic fringe that will argue against anything, we can say with certainty that man did land on the moon.
Maybe you should do some research on this because there are many groups and individuals who continue to voice concern about this movie who are not a "lunatic fringe" by any means. Let me ask you this, are you one of the people who assume that the ADL is a "lunatic fringe" group without having ever actually learned anything about this group?

In my opinion, the only agenda the media holds is to sell papers/advertising/ratings etc. Controversy sells, plain and simple. However, they did not create this controversy, this is not to say that they don't play part in it, but they have merely been a pawn in this game. If you want to point fingers, why don't you direct it at the primary source, Mel Gibson. In my view, he has done more than all of the media added together to cause and fuel the 'controversy'.

As to your 'moon' analogy, I think Chanster summed up my thoughts on that rather nicely.

Originally posted by talemyn
He could revise it to say "The movie has been out for weeks in the US and is universally delcared as NOT being anti-semitic, with the exception of dave-o and baracine."
Much better

on second thought...I am not sure I like that I have been lumped in with baracine (sorry baracine, don't want to thow you under the bus here) but I don't think my posts are quite as...how shall I put it...extreme as baracine's....

Last edited by dave-o; 03-29-04 at 09:54 PM.