DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Decide Micheal Bay's Future (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/354841-decide-micheal-bays-future.html)

rushmore223 03-25-04 11:44 AM

Decide Micheal Bay's Future

pretend you have the power to decide M. Bays Future.

Was reading about a new film that got greenlit called "The Island", was quite interested until I got to the part about Micheal Bay Directing it.

The film is described as The Fugitive meets The Matrix.

PopcornTreeCt 03-25-04 12:05 PM

I loved Bad Boys 2 so I hope he makes another one.

Damfino 03-25-04 12:17 PM

Now that Hollywood is going biblical, I 'm hoping he directs the inevitable Ben Hur remake.

Kal-El 03-25-04 01:14 PM

I say keep on doing what he's been doing.

Gyno Rhino 03-25-04 01:15 PM

I don't understand all the ragging on him.

He makes a certain type of movie. He's the absolute BEST at making that type of movie.

Why the hate?

REL77 03-25-04 01:18 PM

Michael Bay is my Favorite Director (yes, I know). I just love his movies, mindless entertainment, lots of action, no over acting... I just have loved him since Bad Boys came out years and years ago.... Great director.. The man can not do bad by me, not at all...

Coral 03-25-04 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
He's the absolute BEST at making that type of movie.
You mean the crappy type of movie? If so, then I agree.

REL77 03-25-04 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Coral
No Thread Crapping there Buddy.... Jeez

Rogue588 03-25-04 01:34 PM

Checking out his filmography on IMDB.com...

Bad Boys II (2003)
Pearl Harbor (2001)
Armageddon (1998)
Rock, The (1996)
Bad Boys (1995)
Shadows and Light: From a Different View (1992) (V)
I realize that, up 'til Bad Boys II*, I like his flicks. So I picked the "OK, you can direct one more, but it better be good!" option.

* I would say Bad Boys II sucked, but...ahh, it's too easy.

Jackskeleton 03-25-04 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Coral
As you well know, that's your Opinion. I don't find ALL his work to be crap and I'm a fan of letting artist express themselves even though I may not like their work so for me, let Micheal Bay create films. If you don't like them.. Don't watch. Amazing what this new concept of "Freedom" is in this country.

You have a choice, make it. But don't demand others stop what they are good at or what they enjoy simply because you may not life it.

Shannon Nutt 03-25-04 01:44 PM

Michael Bay makes good "popcorn flicks". Lots of eye candy, little substance - but still fun.

REL77 03-25-04 01:46 PM

i think Michael Bay movies also make Great DVDs, lots of action, explosion, chase scenes, ect... IMO what a great DVD expereince should be... Great sound, genereally good video... I also look forward to watching a Mike Bay Flick in my Home Theater...

matome 03-25-04 01:53 PM

I enjoyed them all with the exception of Pearl Harbor, so keep makin' em!

shizawn 03-25-04 02:16 PM

I enjoy his movies, so I say keep on keepin' on.

Geofferson 03-25-04 02:22 PM

I don't especially love his movies, but they aren't as bad as some make him out to be.

ianholm 03-25-04 03:26 PM

Keep 'em coming

fnordboy 03-25-04 03:55 PM

Originally posted by REL77
No Thread Crapping there Buddy.... Jeez
Is that technically a threadcrap? This thread is about how you feel about him and if he should be making more movies. So by him saying he thinks his movies are crap he is staying within the thread topic IMO.

Just because it is an opinion different than the majority of posters in the thread does not make it a threadcrap. People jump too quickly at what they perceive as a threadcrap sometimes.

Personally I don't care what he does, I don't watch his movies and don't care for them. If one of his movies is on HBO or something and there is nothing else on then I may watch it. To me the are nothing more than mindless entertainment. So, if he didn't make anymore I wouldn't care. It is just not my typical fare.

Trigger 03-25-04 05:28 PM

I think Michael Bay is a fantastic director... I don't understand all the hate on Bay when Roland Emmerich is still allowed to make movies.

Troy Stiffler 03-25-04 05:36 PM

Roland Emerich is the the generic version of Michael Bay.

Armageddon: Fun.
Independence Day: Insulting. Saw it when I was younger, and thought it was neat. Saw it the other day on FX, and it was just BAD.

The only thing that I don't like about watching Michael Bay movies is the painful editing. Not the shots, but the editing. Armageddon was the worst of the bunch. I really wish that he could hold a shot for longer than three seconds.

Also, Michael Bay seems to put more effort into making an action movie than anyone else currently working. I love those physical effects!

QuiGonJosh 03-25-04 05:36 PM

Has long has he sticks to what he knows...which is blowing shit up...he about lost it on Pearl Harbor...man what a stinker...but BB2 was just a lot a fun...

DVDho78DTS 03-25-04 05:59 PM

"OK, you can direct one more, but it better be good!"

I enjoyed Bad Boys II more than I thought & also enjoyed The Rock. I don't expect anything original or ground-breaking from him, but I do expect a lot of explosions & eye-candy.

"Mindless fun" is a great expression to describe his films.

PalmerJoss 03-25-04 06:25 PM

I think Michael Bay is a great director. He doesn't have the talent of a Spielberg or a Ridley Scott, but he has a great visual style and when watching his movies it's near impossible to be bored. I say Hollywood needs more directors who are as technically proficient as Michael Bay. If there were, then I probably wouldn't be as bored watching most of the so-called "blockbusters" that seem the norm today.

jaeufraser 03-25-04 06:27 PM

Bay frustrates the hell out of me. On one hand, he does kick ass action ideas, has a great eye for composition, and has no problem doing exploitative and violent action. god bless that stuff. On the other hand, everyone one of his films is horribly paced, is marred by sometimes incomprehensible editing, and the acting he employs is often times nothing more than screaming. Not to mention, his films all run too long.

Soooo...Michael Bay can keep making movies...he has positives, unlike some otehr directors, but I wish he'd fix his problems. His films could be masterpiece action junk, instead they're just mediocre with pretty visuals.

Mr. Salty 03-25-04 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
As you well know, that's your Opinion. I don't find ALL his work to be crap and I'm a fan of letting artist express themselves even though I may not like their work so for me, let Micheal Bay create films. If you don't like them.. Don't watch. Amazing what this new concept of "Freedom" is in this country.

You have a choice, make it. But don't demand others stop what they are good at or what they enjoy simply because you may not life it.

Coral didn't say anything about demanding that Bay stop making movies. Since this is a thread asking for people's opinions about Bay's work, you could likewise allow people to express themselves

Obviously I'm on the side that thinks Bay is a soul-sucking hack. But what really irritates me about the guy is that he's so damned technically proficient he could be a really great filmmaker if he could resist the urge to do such mindless s***t.

I did enjoy his Levi's commercial with the invisible people. It's the only 30 seconds of his work that I've been able to stomach.

Mountain Biker 03-25-04 10:43 PM

The guy makes great action flicks, so I say keep 'em coming!