Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kevin Smith to Fans: "can some of you reign it in this week?"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kevin Smith to Fans: "can some of you reign it in this week?"

Old 03-24-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they taste like orange or do they taste like peanuts? Or better yet does it taste like orange cream with a peanut after taste.
Old 03-24-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Those who say they arent going to see it, are and will deny having seen it. I dont think Kevin is coming off as whiny I just think he knows in the bck of his mind that a lot of his "fans" are not going to dig this movie. and by "fans" I mean those who only watch for Jay and Bob, and cant get passed that. I dont blame him for taking this approach he's just asking those same "fans" to give the film a chance. Is that so hard?
Old 03-24-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if I am going to see this or not.

I liked clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy, but I didn't like Dogma at all, and I thought that while J&SBSB had funny parts it wasnt a very good movie.

My dad really likes Kevin Smith though, so maybe I can sit through it at a matinee or something.

As far as the fans loving Jay and Silent Bob, I think that they are pretty annoying characters that are only good as a very small cameo. I won't miss them.
Old 03-25-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it just me, or is threatening to ban your users for posting negative comments actually worse than any bad press caused by the negative comments themselves?

Over 99% of moviegoers have no idea about his site, nor would they ever want to visit (like me). If I were him, I'd hope this "plea" doesn't leak out via the mass media.

This movie can't help but be Gigli 2, IMO.
Old 03-25-04, 12:56 AM
MrN

The movie is too sentimental for most critics? Guess I can save my money then....

Old 03-25-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by vivarey
Is it just me, or is threatening to ban your users for posting negative comments actually worse than any bad press caused by the negative comments themselves?
I'm not sure of his intent with the banning threat. In the past, he's often treated it as a joke, a tongue-in-cheek remark0. Take, for instance, the banner for the film on the webboard, which says "go see it opening weekend or you're banned from this site". Considering the tone of his recent request, though... I don't know is he joking or not.

The Onion just gave the film a GREAT review, and I'm sure most of the posters here know and understand just how sppot-on, well-written and pointed the Onion AV Club reviews typically are.

Steve K - glad to see you about!
Old 03-25-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
The Onion just gave the film a GREAT review, and I'm sure most of the posters here know and understand just how sppot-on, well-written and pointed the Onion AV Club reviews typically are.
I dunno, I just read the review and thought it was mediocre at best.

"...it's a parenting comedy starring Ben Affleck, making two hours of arched eyebrows and dirty diapers an all-too-plausible worst-case scenario. The film has plenty of both, but somehow, it all works out anyway."
Old 03-25-04, 08:37 AM

Give the Dude a Break

I am one of the View Askew board posters, and unless you are part of the little (or not-so-little) family we have there, you won't understand what Kevin is referring to. He is not referring to negative posts about the movie - he is referring to negative posts about the other TV spots (like Yes, Dear) he is doing to promote the movie.

Everyone who posts on that board knows what they can and can't get away with. Keep in mind that the message board this came from is part of Kevin's website. It's HIS money that pays for it, and it's his right to ban or censor anyone or anything he doesn't like. Kevin has always been very gracious about accepting criticism in the past, but please also keep in mind that the guy is friggin' HUMAN for crying out loud.
Old 03-25-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can hardly naviate the Viewaskew.com tangle of boards, but what is the consensus since this request/declaration? Have people held their tongue or been more savage?
Old 03-25-04, 03:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hey Kevin,

Sup dude? I read/post at a board called DVDTalk.com, and they are going apeshit over your recent missive at va.com about "Jersey Girl."

As you can guess, I am "Groucho." I threw out a troll post to just "play along."

Check it out for a laugh:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=354619

Laters,
G.
Old 03-25-04, 05:30 PM
Banned

did they all of a sudden cancel this movie this weekend because all the theaters around my area dont have it listed for the weekend!? HELP!!!
Old 03-25-04, 06:44 PM
Cool New Member

Interesting thread.

Film Director with six films under his belt vs. a bunch of people you can afford a computer.

The topic. Said computer owners read the mind of a man they don't know, who lives a life they don't understand and can only dream about.

This was a very sad waste of two miutes.
Old 03-25-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Who the hell is Kevin Smith?
Old 03-25-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by askewed
Interesting thread.

Film Director with six films under his belt vs. a bunch of people you can afford a computer.

The topic. Said computer owners read the mind of a man they don't know, who lives a life they don't understand and can only dream about.

This was a very sad waste of two miutes.
And I was just about to tell Groucho his post would only bring in the riff raff.
Old 03-26-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

35% Rotten Tomatoes Rating,

Looks like we have a winner of a movie here.
Old 03-26-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I personally, can't wait to see this movie...
bomb, because I think Kevin Smith's is a one-note act. Oh wait that would be 2 notes. Jay AND Silent Bob... that's 2.
Old 03-07-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What a thoroughly interesting and delightful thread.
Old 03-07-07, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Bumped due to you searching for "Reign Over Me," eh?
Old 03-07-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Bumped due to you searching for "Reign Over Me," eh?
A bump from 2004? Nope, at this point it was officially a resurrection.
Old 03-07-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin Smith sucks. Jersey Girl came out three years ago and he's still whining about it? Let it go, man.
Old 03-07-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Kevin Smith sucks. Jersey Girl came out three years ago and he's still whining about it? Let it go, man.
You do know that this thread is 3 years old don't you?
Old 03-07-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just watched jersey girl last night for the first time and enjoyed it.
Old 03-07-07, 07:45 PM
Banned

it blew, and i am a fan...
Old 03-07-07, 07:49 PM

I've never understood the fascination that some people seem to have with Kevin Smith. He doesn't really seem to be particularly talented at anything, except presumably self-promotion.
Old 03-07-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually enjoyed it and think it's a pretty solid movie, nothing groundbreaking but not awful enough for Kevin to be afraid of trying different things. I personally think he's a better writer than a director.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.