Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission Impossible 3 News

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-24-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From yahoo:

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "The Green Mile" director Frank Darabont (news) will write "Mission: Impossible 3," replacing original scribe Robert Towne (news), who penned the first two entries in the hit Tom Cruise (news) franchise.

Set for release next year via Paramount, "M:I-3" will see Cruise reprise his role as secret agent Ethan Hunt. The first entry, 1996's "Mission: Impossible," directed by Brian De Palma (news), brought in $453 million worldwide. Director John Woo (news)'s 2000 sequel, "Mission: Impossible 2," garnered $609 million. Joe Carnahan ("Narc") will direct the new film.

Darabont worked with Cruise's Paramount-based production company, Cruise/Wagner Prods., on the actor's upcoming thriller "Collateral," which Michael Mann (news) is directing.

Darabont's other writing credits include "Fahrenheit 451," "The Green Mile" and "The Shawshank Redemption." He also directed "Mile" and "Shawshank."

Towne, meanwhile, is now focusing on his pet project "Ask the Dust," which has been in the works for more than a quarter-century and is due to go into production next month in South Africa. He is adapting Jan Fante'S Depression-era novel of the same name as well as directing.

Salma Hayek (news) is set to play the Mexican waitress who plans to move up in the world by marrying a wealthy American. Along the way, she meets a struggling Italian writer, played by Colin Farrell (news). Cruise/Wagner is producing.

Towne also is attached to direct and write a remake of the Alfred Hitchcock (news) classic "The 39 Steps" for British production company Carlton Communications.

Cruise/Wagner and Towne have worked on multiple projects together, including his most recent directorial outing, "Without Limits."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eh. Colin Farrell pisses me off. Salma Hayek is hot. Carnahan did a good job with Narc. Darabont is a talented writer but this doesn't seem like his deal.
Old 03-24-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know - maybe this one will actually be good. I didn't like the first two, but a change of writers could make the difference.
Old 03-24-04, 08:55 AM

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Robert Towne is a great writer, but he didn't seem to understand that the "Mission Impossible" franchise didn't need "Chinatown" plot complexity, even if it was only at a superficial level.

Let's just hope that Darabont's screenplay doesn't involve Ethan Hunt losing his memory and then running a movie theater.
Old 03-24-04, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho

Let's just hope that Darabont's screenplay doesn't involve Ethan Hunt losing his memory and then running a movie theater.
wow, was it really THAT bad? I've always kinda wanted to
see The Majestic
Old 03-24-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts
I hope Anthony Hopkins comes back...he was the best thing (IMHO) in MI2, aside from Thandie Newton's cleavage, of course.
Old 03-24-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the Majestic... but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As far as MI: 3...I hope it is better than the second.
Old 03-24-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Can't wait. I enjoyed the different directions that both Mission Impossible movies took, and i'm looking forward to a 3rd.
Old 03-24-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good news. I liked the first alot and thought the second was excellent. I know it's not "in" to be a Cruise fan, but I like the guy alot. Hopefully they'll somehow get Thandie Newton back in 3. If not, this could be a good movie to get someone like Zhang Ziyi back in a US movie. And I'd love to see Meagan Good in a kick-ass action flick.
Old 03-24-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally posted by balancer
wow, was it really THAT bad? I've always kinda wanted to
see The Majestic
Yes. I turned blue, and vomited EVERYWHERE after watching The Majestic. It was a mess (the movie and the vomit stained seats).

Actually, I liked it. But I must admit that it moved slower that most any movie I've ever seen. So make sure you have mental four hours to watch it.

Sounds cool to me. Mission Impossible is built on bad-ass action sequences. I liked the complexity of the first film, and would prefer it, but I don't think it's essential. The first two are like James Bond, only good (I would like to pardon Goldeneye, as it is the only 007 movie I saw and liked).

Is this still a David Fincher movie? I think that's who it's going to come down to...not the writer.
Old 03-24-04, 01:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Is this still a David Fincher movie? I think that's who it's going to come down to...not the writer. [/B]
Fincher has left the project.
Old 03-24-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott shelton
Fincher has left the project.
Shucks. So who's doing it? Isn't the director usually one of the first people attached?
Old 03-24-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by troystiffler
Shucks. So who's doing it? Isn't the director usually one of the first people attached?
The first post in the thread quite clearly states that Joe Carnahan is directing.
Old 03-24-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, there is NO MI:2 film. There *was* a John Woo that tried to be an MI film, but failed miserably. Casting one of The Ugliest Women in the World certainly didn't help it IMO.
That being said, I wish they'd go back to having a TEAM and actually planning a mission this time around.
Old 03-24-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wouldn't it be funny if Darabont just changed all the names from his Indy 4 script?

I'm surprised he's doing this. Hasn't he said that he wanted to get Fahrenheit 451 done before anything else?
Old 03-24-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
The first post in the thread quite clearly states that Joe Carnahan is directing.
You expect people to read before they post? That's asking a bit much.
Old 03-24-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kal-El
Casting one of The Ugliest Women in the World certainly didn't help it IMO.

Wow Kal, you type very well for a blind man!
Old 03-24-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
I wonder if the hiring of Carnahan was based on his work in NARC or if they just wanted a director with a lesser profile for Cruise to boss around?
Old 03-24-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Morf
You expect people to read before they post? That's asking a bit much.
Can't internet-people just not be condescending because I asked a simple question? That's asking a bit much. Wasn't it enought to get scolded by DonnachaOne?

I guess that MI:3 could go anywhere from here. I feel a bit lost knowing that Carnahan is directing. I mean, the guy's movies are alright. But he hasn't shown off any sort of real action chops yet. But I'm always up for seeing new directors getting big budgets to make a film. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 03-24-04 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-24-04, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NARC was a F'ing wicked movie. I can't wait to see what Carnahan can do with a bigger budget. I'm stoked.
Old 03-24-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne

Wow Kal, you type very well for a blind man!
Wow DonnachaOne, how's life over there where everyone agrees with you? Must be rockin'!
Old 03-24-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal-El
Wow DonnachaOne, how's life over there where everyone agrees with you? Must be rockin'!

Guys, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but I agree with Kal, that woman looks fugly in those pics.
Old 03-24-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope this will be an improvement over the miserable MI2. Woo jumped the shark back at Face/Off.
Old 03-24-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can't internet-people just not be condescending because I asked a simple question? That's asking a bit much. Wasn't it enought to get scolded by DonnachaOne?

I guess that MI:3 could go anywhere from here. I feel a bit lost knowing that Carnahan is directing. I mean, the guy's movies are alright. But he hasn't shown off any sort of real action chops yet. But I'm always up for seeing new directors getting big budgets to make a film. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.
I think Carnahan is at least a working professional with Cruise. If you notice, NARC was a Cruise/Wagner production, so obviously there's a link between the two anyway. Perhaps they were giving him a small film to test if he could make the big one? Who knows.
Old 03-24-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jaeufraser
I think Carnahan is at least a working professional with Cruise. If you notice, NARC was a Cruise/Wagner production, so obviously there's a link between the two anyway. Perhaps they were giving him a small film to test if he could make the big one? Who knows.
I still feel that they got Carnahan because they wanted to get someone who was still a little green and wouldn't have problems with letting Cruise have his way all the time.
Old 03-24-04, 07:13 PM

But he hasn't shown off any sort of real action chops yet.
Check out his BMW Films short at www.bmwfilms.com. It's called "Ticker." It's not much, but it's a taste of some of his potential.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.