Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mistakes made in vampire movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave-The Priest see's Dracula's reflection in water.
Old 03-21-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I haven't seen it, but I read that you can see their reflections in Underworld also.

Considering there is no "official" vampire lore, it's up to the individual author.

I kinda like the idea of reflections, makes them easier to sneak around among humans.
Old 03-21-04, 10:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
As long as the movie is consistant within itself, I don't care.
Old 03-21-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I think the whole sunlight and reflection deal is up to whomever is writing the tale.
Interesting that while exposure to sunlight almost always seems to work, the original Stoker novel of Dracula did not adhere to that rule. Dracula moved around freely in the day time but his powers weren't at full speed.
Old 03-21-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think these are really mistakes. It just kinda annoys me that every new Vampire film released has to change the lore. Evertime I watch a Vampire flick with my wife I have to explain that in some movies they can do this and that while in others it doesn't apply. Sure noboy wants to copy the same old formula, I think filmakers should be consistant and stick to traditional lore.

Stick to the rules

Vampires cast no reflection
Vampires hate crosses and other religious items
Vampires are killed by sunlight
You get bit by a Vampire (or drink their blood) you become one
Vampires are evil swawns of the devil (I can deal with good vampires only if they are conflicted with their evil side)

Last edited by cactusoly; 03-21-04 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-21-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What about vampire's turning into bats?
Old 03-21-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bats are cool too, or as in some circles, any creatures of the night such as wolves. Of course there are more rules but I cant think of them all right now.
Old 03-21-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by cactusoly

Vampires are killed by sunlight
See, it comes down to who has created the "traditional lore."
In Bram Stocker's book, Dracula can walk around in the daylight without dying. So is that the traditional lore, if so, it contradicts you're traditional lore.

Vampires aren't real (as far as I know), so anything and everything about there existance is purely made up....I have no problem with an author or filmmaker changing some things around as long as they remain consistent in their portrayal.

It's the changing of historical fact that pisses me off.
Old 03-21-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The problem with "traditional lore" is that it contradicts itself. Various cultures had different charateristics for vampires. Different ways to kill them (wooden stake, silver, sunlight, beheading), different weaknesses (crosses, garlic, moving water, need of an invitation to enter a house), different powers (turn into bats and mist, mind control, no reflection, no shadow). In some lore, certain things are true while others aren't. Trying to combine all the "traditional lore" into one standard would be a big contradictory mess.
Old 03-21-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Underworld was Awful with the vampire lore rules. It pretty much made me believe that the vampires were nothing more then a bunch of gothic kids with guns.

-Vampire takes a good long look in the mirror
-a human saves a vampire by giving it CPR... IT'S FREAK'N UNDEAD. How could it possibly drown?
Old 03-21-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NO RUNNING VAMPIRES!
Old 03-21-04, 02:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another variation is that in Blood For Dracula, Dracula must have the blood of a virgin, otherwise he dies.
Old 03-21-04, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Underworld was Awful with the vampire lore rules. It pretty much made me believe that the vampires were nothing more then a bunch of gothic kids with guns.

-Vampire takes a good long look in the mirror
-a human saves a vampire by giving it CPR... IT'S FREAK'N UNDEAD. How could it possibly drown?
Fine - so in Underworld Vampires require oxygen and can see their reflection.

Makes a lot more sense than in Vampire movies that dont cast reflections but you also dont see their clothes. And it makes more sense than when you see Vampires in a fight breathing hard.
Old 03-21-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
NO RUNNING VAMPIRES!
Old 03-21-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Stu 17

Makes a lot more sense than in Vampire movies that dont cast reflections but you also dont see their clothes. And it makes more sense than when you see Vampires in a fight breathing hard.
It's all within the level of belief you are willing to put in. When you are willing to believe that a creature needs to drink others blood and is a creature of the night, then it isn't much of a leap to imagine that they cast no reflection and are UNDEAD.
Old 03-21-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The only vampire lore I don't like is the no reflection thing... I mean, mirrors aren't magical - they simply reflect light... if you can see a vampire, then you can see a vampire's reflection in a mirror. The idea of vampires having no reflection isn't so much a vampire lore as it is a mirror lore.
Old 03-21-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Doesn't the mirror thing come from the whole fact that they are souless or something along those lines?
Old 03-21-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How the hell did Eddie Murphy became Count Dracula ?
Old 03-21-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I think that the Buffy series did the vampire lore best.

-Sunlight=death
-Staking is the best way to kill them.
-The way to become one is through being bitten and drinking their blood.
-They can be heavily conflicted.
Old 03-21-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Doesn't the mirror thing come from the whole fact that they are souless or something along those lines?
maybe, but that's kinda dumb anyway - it's not like a mirror sees into your soul - it's just a reflective surface bouncing light back at your eye. We can see things because of the light that bounces off of it - so if we can see a vampire by looking straight at it, there's no reason why we couldn't see one in a reflection of a mirror. Perhaps the lore came from the idea that they live in darkness, so no light can see them and hence no light can bounce off of them to reflect off a mirror... but that's dumb cuz people see vampires in every story... enough light in the room etc. Or maybe it came from the idea that once you are a vampire, you can't look at yourself again - like a curse - more of a poetic statement than a literal meaning. In any case, it always bothered me in movies when the vampires have no reflection... I can buy that they turn into mist or bats and that they will burst into flames if they get hit with 'holy water' (as dumb as that is), but the mirror thing is just stupid.
Old 03-21-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Leslie Nielsen
Old 03-21-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about in The Fearless Vampire Killers when the 3 non-vampires were spotted in the mirror at the ball?
Old 03-21-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Yes, mirrors were thought to reflect the soul in some cultures, although applying this idea to vampires apparently didn' occur until Bram Stoker:
http://www.vampyres.com/content/iwav...mpmirrors.html
Old 03-21-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The original Nosferatu (1922) is seen in the mirror.
Old 03-21-04, 11:52 PM
Banned

The one that liberal Hollywood is pusing is that a vampire can be good & fall in love.
How can it do that when it's evil & against God.
A vampire is on the level with the devil at least it was like that before the vampire movies in the 1990's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.