DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Grouchoís Movie Challenge: Week 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/352876-groucho%92s-movie-challenge-week-2-a.html)

Groucho 03-15-04 10:04 AM

Grouchoís Movie Challenge: Week 2

What is Grouchoís Movie Challenge? Its mission is simple: let us all, as a forum, work to seek out films that might otherwise slip our radar. Each week, anybody who wants to participate will see a film within the guidelines, and return back to the forum to report on the film they saw. Itís easy, itís fun, and everybody can participate. Itís not a trivia contestÖitís not a gameÖitís merely a way we can all be exposed to new avenues of film appreciationÖor at the very least see a good flick or two.

Week 2: Foreign Film Week

This weekís challenge isnít quite as daring as it might have been a few weeks ago, but Iím goint to proceed anyway. Between now and next Monday (3/22), watch a film that is filmed in a language you donít understand. For example, if you donít understand Spanish you could watch Amores Perros. Likewise, if you donít understand English you could choose Herbie Goes Bananas.

Some other rules:

1. It must be a film you have never seen before.

2. It must be sub-titled, no dubbed or silent films.

3. In order to keep this thread from becoming 50 reviews of The Passion of the Christ, Iím going to exclude it from the mix. Sorry!

Watch your film whenever you have the time, and come back here to reportÖwhether your experience was positive or negative.

Missed a previous version of the Movie Challenge? Itís never to late to play:

Week 1: Old Movie Week

chanster 03-15-04 10:09 AM

I thought this was going to be a Die Hard vs. Predator thread. moving along..

wendersfan 03-15-04 10:19 AM

I've got a bunch of Chabrol movies I've never seen, so I'll probably go with one of them.

Damfino 03-15-04 10:22 AM

Once again I have an unwatched DVD in my collection that fits the theme, so this week I will be watching my new Criterion DVD of Le Corbeau.

Rypro 525 03-15-04 10:31 AM

guess, i'll go to blockbuster and rent a kurwosawa movie.

Giles 03-15-04 10:43 AM

hmm, (pulls out Volcano High from video collection ' must view' pile)

other possiblities
- Beau Travail
- Fanny and Alexander (5 hour cut)
- Blind Shaft (E Street Cinema)

Rypro 525 03-15-04 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Giles
hmm, (pulls out Volcano High from video collection ' must view' pile)

wasn't that on mtv recently in a badly dubbed version by rappers? I didn't know the original was on dvd.

deadlax 03-15-04 11:13 AM

mine will either be chunking express or in the mood for love. have not yet decided, will take recommendations.

wendersfan 03-15-04 11:47 AM

Originally posted by deadlax
mine will either be chunking express or in the mood for love. have not yet decided, will take recommendations.
See Chungking Express first. They are both fantastic movies, but I think you should watch Wong's films in the as close to the order they were made as possible.

chente 03-15-04 12:25 PM

Ohh, a perfect opportunity to watch my Das Boot Superbit when it arrives this week from Korea.

Scot1458 03-15-04 12:49 PM

Watched Gamera 1 - 3.

Done.

Can you give us something difficult? Both of these challenges have been way to easy.

Groucho 03-15-04 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Scot1458
Give you give us something difficult? Both of these challenges have been way to easy.
While many of us regularly watch foreign and classic films, many of us also avoid such movies like the plague. I'm also trying to start off with some "slowballs" to get things rolling.

I also want to try to keep the challenges to the point that people don't have to work just to find a qualifying title. "Armenian Films from the 1930's...GO!"

I've got a few ideas brewing for future weeks, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Scot1458 03-15-04 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
While many of us regularly watch foreign and classic films, many of us also avoid such movies like the plague. I'm also trying to start off with some "slowballs" to get things rolling.

I also want to try to keep the challenges to the point that people don't have to work just to find a qualifying title. "Armenian Films from the 1930's...GO!"

I've got a few ideas brewing for future weeks, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Makes sense. Here are some suggestions..

Film Noir (real noir, not The Usual Suspects or Chinatown)
Silent Films (everybody can dig Phantom of the Opera)
Special Historic Films (like The Jazz Singer, Birth of a Nation)
a Horror or Sci-Fi movie without CGI

Groucho 03-15-04 01:09 PM

Some good suggestions there...some are similar to ideas I already had, some are brand new.

Supermallet 03-15-04 01:11 PM

Another suggestion: great pairings (Abbot and Costello, Bogart and Bacall, even something like Herzog and Kinski)

Meanwhile, this week's challenge is a perfect excuse to watch some Bunuel films I picked up recently.

RyoHazuki 03-15-04 05:10 PM

Why no dubbing?

cultshock 03-15-04 06:00 PM

This will be a good warm up for next weeks challenge: watching a foreign language film with NO subtitles. :D (hmmm, actually I've had to do that before).

Note to deadlax: Chungking Express first.

Rypro 525 03-15-04 06:10 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Why no dubbing?
because dubs are not forgien language. plus there are all sorts of problems with dubs.

oh and a suggestion. pick a movie that you were not allowed to see when you were younger.

RyoHazuki 03-15-04 06:12 PM

So does Star Wars count since much of it is not in English?

wendersfan 03-15-04 07:14 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
So does Star Wars count since much of it is not in English?
Are you gonna expect us to believe you've never seen it before? :lol:

RyoHazuki 03-15-04 07:28 PM

I know some godless hethens who haven't.

Scot1458 03-15-04 07:56 PM

Well, I recently watched 4 of the Kinski/Herzog films from the box set. I've seen Fitz and Nofs. before, but never Aquire nor the other two.

Aquire was pure genius. I loved it. The other two were horrible.

hgar78 03-15-04 08:33 PM

hmmm....i think maybe we'll have to watch camille claudel, andre rublev or in the mood for love.

Goldberg74 03-15-04 08:53 PM

Can I watch Castle in the Sky with the Japanese Language track?

mtucker 03-15-04 08:56 PM

I'll be watching Scenes from a Marriage this week. 5 hrs of subtitled goodness.