Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Groucho’s Movie Challenge: Week 2

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Groucho’s Movie Challenge: Week 2

Old 03-22-04, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Au Hasard Balthazar

A Robert Bresson Film about a Donkey. In French.

And while that's the most base and simple description, it is so much more than an animal picture. It deals with the healing power of animals in the lives of the humans around them and the ignorance of humanity to see that our suffering is not our own, but is transferred to those that we help and care for.

I heard Criterion is releasing it on DVD soon.
Old 03-22-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally watched RAN last Friday which arrived from CH last Tuesday. How convenient.

A great film. Although I have never read or seen Shakespeare's King Lear the film seemed very Shakespearian. Although it seemed to drag in a few scenes I enjoyed the great cinematography, and the battle scenes. The "Shakespeare" clown was great especially to relieve the tension and sadness of the situations. Although he does turn into a sad clown at one point. I'm glad that I've finally seen this film.
Old 03-22-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts
Claude Chabrol's Les Biches.

For some reason the title was translated as "Bad Girls" when it actually means The Does (as in female deer). A rich woman picks up a poor woman and takes her into her bed. They both become involved with the same man in a weird love triangle.

The movie is cold and vague. It's never clear if anyone is having sex, or if anyone has any emotions about each other. There is no tension, and no empathy for any of the characters. We kept checking how much time was left in the movie.

It was a great disappointment. The Butcher and This Man Must Die were excellent movies.
Old 03-23-04, 12:11 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Danger
Claude Chabrol's Les Biches.

For some reason the title was translated as "Bad Girls" when it actually means The Does (as in female deer). A rich woman picks up a poor woman and takes her into her bed. They both become involved with the same man in a weird love triangle.

The movie is cold and vague. It's never clear if anyone is having sex, or if anyone has any emotions about each other. There is no tension, and no empathy for any of the characters. We kept checking how much time was left in the movie.
I had the completely opposite reaction. I thought it was one of the most gripping and intense films I've ever seen.
Old 03-24-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know this is late but I just wanted to participate. I hope to see both a movie made before I was born and a silent movie within the next week. But for now, I saw Battle Royale. I had heard that the movie was supposed to be ultra bloody and that was my initial reason for seeing it. heh Anyways, it was pretty cool. I liked the beggining more than anything(The setup) and would've liked to see it get more crazy but I thought it was good regardless. It kinda moved more slowly towards the end but overall, it was very entertaining. Nothing too deep, just a good time.
Old 03-28-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little late also, but I will either watch El Mariachi or something from the Kurosawa Criterion box.
Old 04-05-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Started trying to catch up on my "homework" this weekend. I watched Ikiru. What a fantastic film! In all my years of movie watching, I had somehow managed to miss seeing any Kurosawa films up until now. Now I feel like I need to catch up! As such, any recommendations as to which ones to watch next would be greatly appreciated.

As fo a review . . . Ithe two best ways to describe it that come to mind are:

1) It is a very "true" films (i.e., very easy to relate to and be affected by) and

2) "Beautiful sadness". Although it has it's moments of inspiration and uplifting sentiment, it is not a "fell good"movie overall, but that sadness is portrayed in such a beautiful way, that it almost becomes artistic (the sadness).

Anyway . . . great movie . . . now to figure out which Kurosawa to pick up next . . . leaning towards the Four Samurai Collection, but I'm afraid that they won't have the same feel that Ikiru did (although, I'm sure they will still be good ).
Old 04-05-04, 11:13 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What a coincidence - I also watched Ikiru this past week for the first time and found it to be wonderful.

And since I've seen quite a few Kurosawa films...
Yeah, Kurosawa is famous for his period films - the most famous being Seven Samurai and the other films in the 4 samurai collection. Throne of Blood is also a great film.

If you want something more 'contemporary', I'd recommend High and Low or in the vein of Ikiru, I would say Rashomon (which is actually my favorite Kurosawa film.)
Old 04-05-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrN
What a coincidence - I also watched Ikiru this past week for the first time and found it to be wonderful.

And since I've seen quite a few Kurosawa films...
Yeah, Kurosawa is famous for his period films - the most famous being Seven Samurai and the other films in the 4 samurai collection. Throne of Blood is also a great film.

If you want something more 'contemporary', I'd recommend High and Low or in the vein of Ikiru, I would say Rashomon (which is actually my favorite Kurosawa film.)
Thanks for the req's. Since I posted, I started looking into some of the other Kurosawa films and had been leaning towards Rashomon and Red Beard as well (it looked like one that might be along the same lines as Ikiru). And, of course, I'm bound to pick up the Four Samurai Collection, too.

Now, I just need to figure out which organ I need least so that I can sell it to fund the purchase.
Old 04-05-04, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
talemyn,

I recently re-joined Netflix and have been renting a boatload of Criterions from them - it's a good way to tell if you like a film enough to buy without feeling like a sucker - I can go through about six discs a week with their 3-disc out at once system, which more than covers the $20 a month.

I mean, heck, that's less than the price of buying ONE Criterion and you can check out well over 150 of them (they have most, but not all, of the collection).
Old 04-18-04, 02:47 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

I finally took the opportunity to watch Amelie, and I'm sorry I waited so long. This is a movie that's absolutely adorable...
Old 05-11-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I watched Hiroshima Mon Amour from The Criterion Collection. I found it to be an interesting look at Hiroshima and a compelling love story, although it seemed to be a bit too anti-war/anti-nuke for me (not that I think we should nuke whomever ticks us off.)