Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Groucho’s Movie Challenge: Week 2

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Groucho’s Movie Challenge: Week 2

Old 03-15-04, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have four movies sitting in my unwatched pile that would work for the challenge this week:

Yojimbo
Alexander Nevsky
Ivan the Terrible Parts 1 and 2

I think i'll check out Alexander Nevsky because i've never watched a Russian film before.
Old 03-16-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Scot1458
Well, I recently watched 4 of the Kinski/Herzog films from the box set. I've seen Fitz and Nofs. before, but never Aquire nor the other two.

Aquire was pure genius. I loved it. The other two were horrible.
How can you say that about Fitzcarraldo? Aside from the issues I had with the audio, it was an amazing film - something we won't ever see again. And Kinski was god in this.

"I WANT MY OPERA HOUSE! I WANT MY OPERA HOUSE!"
- absoultely classic.
Old 03-16-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like I'll use this weeks challenge to get around to watching The Vanishing (1988).
Old 03-16-04, 08:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
wasn't that on mtv recently in a badly dubbed version by rappers? I didn't know the original was on dvd.
I remember at one point that this film was slated for DVD release. I own the HK double disc special edition.
Old 03-16-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never seen Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. I'll hit that up on Saturday.
Old 03-16-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
I've got a bunch of Chabrol movies I've never seen, so I'll probably go with one of them.

I can't use Ballad of a Soldier because I saw it when I was ten. I'll wait for the B&W Russian Road Movie challenge.
Old 03-16-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Do I open my Rashamon or Brotherhood of the Wolf? I think BotW is the way I shall go this week.
Old 03-16-04, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Nick Danger

I'll wait for the B&W Russian Road Movie challenge.
Old 03-16-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched Once Upon A Time In China (theatrical version) and was disappointed overall. The story was unfocused, jumbled and I didn't feel anything for the characters. The fight scenes were excellent, but I was hoping for more.
Old 03-16-04, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by scroll2b
How can you say that about Fitzcarraldo? Aside from the issues I had with the audio, it was an amazing film - something we won't ever see again. And Kinski was god in this.

"I WANT MY OPERA HOUSE! I WANT MY OPERA HOUSE!"
- absoultely classic.
No No, my mistake. I've seen Fitz before. Fitz is actually my favorite of the bunch.

I meant the other two, Wyzolek and the last one they did. Wasn't impressed at all.

You're right, I think Fitzcarraldo is Kinski's best work.

Hey, anybody seen Kinski's Paggonini (sp) film? The one who supposedly lost the last of his mind on?

Last edited by Scot1458; 03-16-04 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-16-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched A Better Tomorrow. Liked it alot! I'm getting more into HK movies. Now to save up and buy The Killer and Hard Boiled CCs.
Old 03-16-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Odd, yesterday I called in sick to work and ended up watching a borrowed copy of Almodovar's All About My Mother (1999). Came in today and saw the newest topic for "Groucho's fascist regime of movie-watching."

So, since I hadn't seen it before and I don't speak Spanish it qualifies.

Having only seen one other Almodovar film (Talk to Her) and knowing of his style I watched All About My Mother with practically no expectation. What I got was wonderful. What a funny and bittersweet tribute to women, actresses, movies, theater, and of course, mothers. The whole movie was lighter than air, less concerned with narrative strands than in creating an ode to matriarchy. It all seemed so effortless and certain. I truly didn't feel one frame was out of place.

The movie is beautiful to look at too, bold hues and Manuella's Barcelona apartment is a trip.
Old 03-16-04, 04:39 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally posted by drjay
Just watched A Better Tomorrow. Liked it alot! I'm getting more into HK movies. Now to save up and buy The Killer and Hard Boiled CCs.
I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that there are better versions out there than the Criterions.
Old 03-16-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458

Hey, anybody seen Kinski's Paggonini (sp) film? The one who supposedly lost the last of his mind on?
I've seen Paganini. I've owned a terrible quality bootleg VHS of the film for years. Apparently there is a German DVD but its not suppposed to look that great, so I'm waiting (hopefully not in vain) for something better to come along. The film is a mess, but a brilliant mess. Basically a mish-mash of soft core sex scenes, Kinski acting (?) nuts, and great classical music. Very uneven, but still a must see for Kinski fans.

Aguirre Wrath of God is still my favourite Kinski film.
Old 03-16-04, 05:11 PM

Just got finished with Bergman's Cries and Whispers: Criterion Collection. I enjoyed it, but then again I love Bergman's style. Not my favorite of his (I've only seen it once, though), but it's still a good film.

The interview on the disc is definitely worth checking out.

I was going to email you, Groucho, about doing a Foreign Film Challenge but you're just too smart! Good one. Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-16-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wendersfan
I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that there are better versions out there than the Criterions.
Yes, if you are interested in the best available transfers of these films (so far), go with the Hong Kong Legends version of The Killer and the most recent Mei Ah disc of Hard Boiled.
Old 03-16-04, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
... the most recent Mei Ah disc of Hard Boiled.
how does it compare with Criterion's edition supplementary material? Where can you order it online?
Old 03-16-04, 07:44 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another easy week for me, as I just finished watching Claude Chabrol's Madame Bovary. I've never read the book but have seen the Jennifer Jones/Minnelli movie.

Chabrol's version is far better - mainly because Huppert is a great actress. However, I still wasn't fully satisfied with this film. The Jones/Minnelli resorts to a ludicrous Flaubert trial scene to serve as narration. After the first 30 min. or so of the Chabrol version I was thinking, 'Wow, this is so much better' and then along came the narration and, worse yet, monologues. Still, this version is closer to the book and looks great and as I mentioned already, I'm a fan of Huppert.

6/10
Old 03-16-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
how does it compare with Criterion's edition supplementary material? Where can you order it online?
the mel ah disc is bare bones. it does have an anamorphic transfer (the version to contain one), dts track, and a better transfer overall.)
a link to buy
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
Old 03-16-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I was referring to best transfers only, not best extras too. Its too bad that the Mei Ah disc is barebones, but it looks much better than the Criterion disc, and I never cared for the Criterion's commentary track anyway.
Old 03-16-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm feeling ambitious. I plan to watch Fassbinder's BRD trilogy this week. I watched The Marriage of Maria Braun last night (excellent film by the way). Tonight I'm watching Veronika Voss, tomorrow: Lola.
Old 03-16-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched "Prisoner of the Mountains". I wasn't too impressed.
Old 03-17-04, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
the mel ah disc is bare bones. it does have an anamorphic transfer (the version to contain one), dts track, and a better transfer overall.)
a link to buy
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
Originally posted by cultshock
Yes, I was referring to best transfers only, not best extras too. Its too bad that the Mei Ah disc is barebones, but it looks much better than the Criterion disc, and I never cared for the Criterion's commentary track anyway.
so how is the sound? DTS 5.1
Old 03-17-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
so how is the sound? DTS 5.1
the sound is servisable. your not going to get multi 360 pans of sound or lfe to the max or anything like that, but its still good. and there's also a 2.0 mono track on there as well.
Old 03-17-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Week 2: Foreign Film Week

I've been digging around for cult films lately and have been reading comments about this film for years. Last night I finaly checked out Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom (1975).

I'd have to say I didn't care for it. Not because its the only film to (almost) make me physically ill. But because it didn't have any empathy for the victims. I still think Pasolini was a genius, but he followed his source material a little too closely here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.