Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Slow Zombies Vs. Fast Zombies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Slow Zombies VS. Fast Zombies
SLOW
54.08%
FAST
37.76%
Eeeeek! Just keep em buried.
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Slow Zombies Vs. Fast Zombies

Old 03-15-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**** Zombies.
Old 03-15-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 518 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally posted by Ergyu
**** Zombies.
Necrophiliac!

Old 03-16-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts
After seeing the DotD remake, I still prefer slow-moving zombies.

But... have a couple fast ones just to keep everyone on their toes
Old 03-16-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after watching the first 8 min, i don't really care if they are fast or slow.
Old 03-16-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My eyes were opened by fast zombies in DotD remake.
Old 03-16-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This debate really bugs me, so here's some edumacashun for y'all...

A few hours after a person or animal dies, the joints of the body stiffen and become locked in place. This stiffening is called rigor mortis. Depending on temperature and other conditions, rigor mortis lasts approximately 72 hours. The phenomenon is caused by the skeletal muscles partially contracting. More from your Guide below Advertisement

The muscles are unable to relax, so the joints become fixed in place.

More specifically, what happens is that the membranes of muscle cells become more permeable to calcium ions. Living muscle cells expend energy to transport calcium ions to the outside of the cells. The calcium ions that flow into the muscle cells promote the cross-bridge attachment between actin and myosin, two types of fibers that work together in muscle contraction. The muscle fibers ratchet shorter and shorter until they are fully contracted or as long as the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and the energy molecule adenosine triphosphate (ATP) are present. However, muscles need ATP in order to release from a contracted state (it is used to pump the calcium out of the cells so the fibers can unlatch from each other). ATP reserves are quickly exhausted from the muscle contraction and other cellular processes. This means that the actin and myosin fibers will remain linked until the muscles themselves start to decompose.

Rigor mortis can be used to help estimate time of death. The onset of rigor mortis may range from 10 minutes to several hours, depending on factors including temperature (rapid cooling of a body can inhibit rigor mortis, but it occurs upon thawing). Maximum stiffness is reached around 12-24 hours post mortem. Facial muscles are affected first, with the rigor then spreading to other parts of the body. The joints are stiff for 1-3 days, but after this time general tissue decay and leaking of lysosomal intracellular digestive enzymes will cause the muscles to relax. It is interesting to note that meat is generally considered to be more tender if it is eaten after rigor mortis has passed.
zombies aren't physically possible period. Fast or slow - doesn't really matter. For purposes of movie-dom, I think it should all depend on how the zombie became a zombie... is it a 'from the grave' zombie? is it a zombie that was just bitten by an infected zombie as a human and then subsequently died and became zombified? is it a zombie full of embalming fluid? Is it a robot ninja zombie? From there you can label them 'fast' or 'slow' with post-it notes and say 'ACTION!'

"MMMHHWUUAAAAAA"
"BWWWAAAAAINNNNNSSSS"
Old 03-16-04, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this 1983 Italian Zombie flic had running zombies:

even Re-Animator had very agile spastic zombies.
Old 03-16-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no preference, really. Different zombies work for different movies. I just never liked the "zombies aren't really fast" argument.
Old 03-16-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the real world, when I'm fighting zombies, I prefer them slow. Much easier to kill, much easier to get away.

As for movie zombies, slow or fast, I like 'em both. I think zombies should move at the pace of the film, no slower, no faster. Nightmare City is a good example of fast moving zombies, and is also the first movie I saw them in. Props to Giles.

Another movie with non-slow zombies is Burial Ground, from 1980

These zombies use tools, and have enough intelligence to be able to trap somebody.

The great thing about Burial Ground is that it has both fast and slow zombies, as well as smart and dumb zombies. It proves that just like when we are alive, we are all individuals when we're dead. It's the movie that shows all zombies can get along, regardless of race, speed or color, united under one cause (to eat you.)

Let us not pigeonhole zombies into categories of fast and slow, let us celebrate their diversity in a new way everyday.
Old 03-16-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Fast

(Although I like both)
Old 03-16-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think fast zombies will always make for scarier movies. They don't need to be ultra fast like 28 DL, but slow moving zombies just aren't scary. The fact that they can run you down is much more stressful.
Old 03-16-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Trigger you left out "Demonic Zombies" like in the book "The Rising".

Those Zombies were m-effers because they had intelligence and speed...well, depending on how damaged and or decayed the body was.

Which makes me wonder how you guys feel about Zombies that think? RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD had thinking Zombies. Remember the zombie in the basement? It knew enough to grab the chain and use the machine to pull the doors off the cabinet in an attempt to catch the girl. When that same girl's boyfriend died he knew her name and spoke to her. He also knew how to get into the attic. The old Confederate Zombie used the radio..."Send more paramedics".

In the original Dawn of the Dead they just remembered things like where the mall and fake door was but they didn't speak.

What do ya'll think? I think that makes them even scarier.
Old 03-16-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do not like zombies...slow or fast...
Old 03-16-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Smurf
I do not like zombies...slow or fast...
I love zombies... slow or fast
Old 03-16-04, 02:03 PM
Banned

Like I said, I like them both but prefer slow. However I take exception to this statement.
Originally posted by caiman
ANYONE could run past them. By the time the lumbering zombies could even turn around, I would be halfway across the state.
Halfway across what state!?! If you know a state that’s not infested then cough it up!
That’s the point of slow zombies. Run all you want. You can never stop, hide or sleep. They will get you. Be a slave to your animal instinct to remain alive and prolong your suffering or say “screw it!” and don’t wait until you’re down to your last round to light up the roof of your mouth.

Old 03-16-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
this 1983 Italian Zombie flic had running zombies:

Didn't the zombies in this crapfest also have machine guns?
Old 03-16-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
I prefer slow zombies. The fast ones were good for 28 Days Later because they weren't the living dead, they were infected with a rage disease, so it would make sense for them to be fast.

Having them be fast in Dawn doesn't really thrill me, but neither does the idea of the re-make altogether.
Old 03-16-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Didn't the zombies in this crapfest also have machine guns?
Some did, others had machetes, knives, sickles, etc. The more manly zombies tore you to pieces with their bare hands.

If I remember correctly, the zombies in this crapfest weren't necessarily run of the mill zombies, but people that had been infected with something not unlike 28 Days Later, but not to that extent. It's been awhile since I've seen it though.

They also flew planes and drove cars.
Old 03-17-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Slow or fast doesnt matter they both get stopped the same way.
Old 03-19-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts
Ok, so I got to see fast zombies last night. And upon further thinking, doesn't a fast zombie require 'thinking'?

The mindless, slow zombie only recognizes human flesh and is drawn to it. It has no comprehension to any obstacles in its path.

The fast zombie not only recognizes human flesh, but also has the knowledge on how to get to it in a quick manner there for beating out other zombies and requires more thinking on the levels of animals.

So a couple of things to point out from Dawn of the Dead:

Spoiler:
The legless guy in the garage. How the hell did he figure out how to use the pipes as a means to get around? He should have been dragging himself along the ground. How the heck did he get up there anyways?

The zombie that picks up the propane tank. Why bother? They never paid any attention to the dog, why pay attention to the propane tank?

Ana's husband. How did he know to use his head to break thru the door?

All of this required some sort of 'thinking' beyond the recognition of human flesh.
Old 03-19-04, 12:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Spoiler:
The legless guy in the garage. How the hell did he figure out how to use the pipes as a means to get around? He should have been dragging himself along the ground. How the heck did he get up there anyways?
Not really an answer to your post, but does anyone else think the appearance of this guy was an homage/rip from Aliens?
Old 03-22-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by devilshalo

The fast zombie not only recognizes human flesh, but also has the knowledge on how to get to it in a quick manner there for beating out other zombies and requires more thinking on the levels of animals.
Speed isn't an indication of intelligence in the animal world. Great white sharks are fast, have the knowledge to get to their prey in a quick manner as soon as they recognize it, and beat out other sharks/fish to get to it. They're not very smart. Speed is a trait that enhances the survivability of an animal.

Last edited by renaldow; 03-22-04 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-22-04, 09:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you think about it, the zombies in the classic Romero movies weren't all that slow. Romero used this technique all the time:

1. Show zombies in the distance, moving slowly towards the victim.

2. Cut to close-up of victim looking on in terror.

3. Cut back to zombie, who is suddenly right next to victim, and grabs him quickly.

Romero's zombies aren't slow, they're teleporting.
Old 03-22-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Slow zombies provide a cerebral form of terror. Thier scary, but you have time to make a move, you can CHOOSE what to do...if you choose wrong you only have yourself to blame. Plus slow zombies make risk taking more believable. Its about judging the situation.

Fast zombies require athletics to avoid, you have no choices, just luck of the draw...not such a mind****. Its about reacting.

BTW in Night, Dawn, and Day, the true evil was not in the zombies...it was in the f** ked up human factions that ruined everything.
Old 03-22-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Sure blow a couple in the process.. you will still die.
This is Movie Talk, moving to Mature

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.